Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Phone Key Failure Rate

How frequently does the "phone key" fail to work properly with your Model 3?

• 0-1% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • 0-1% failure rate, Android

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • 2-10% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • 2-10% failure rate, Android

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • 11-25% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 11-25% failure rate, Android

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • 26%+ failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • 26%+ failure rate, Android

Votes: 34 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just met another model 3 owner today at a Tesla sponsored symposium.

She has never logged into any online forums. She had a list of questions. One was...wait for it...

Why does my car not unlock when using my phone. Does not always work when I try to get in. I witness it also when we checked her car out. She had phone in hand. Car did respond when we approached. She tried the drivers door handle. Nothing happen.

She had to open her app and hit unlock.

She has an iPhone 7

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Until yesterday, the app worked maybe 60-70% of the time. Then yesterday it stopped working altogether.
Although we also have an X, which I drive most of the time. My wife drives the 3, and her app (Apple phone) works 1/2 the time.
I'm wondering if having two cars on the app is causing problems.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Until yesterday, the app worked maybe 60-70% of the time. Then yesterday it stopped working altogether.
Although we also have an X, which I drive most of the time. My wife drives the 3, and her app (Apple phone) works 1/2 the time.
I'm wondering if having two cars on the app is causing problems.
There’s a known issue where the Model 3 needs to be selected in the app. Might want to see if it got switched to the X.

After 6 days on the iPhone X, it has been perfectly reliable so far. I thought it had trouble detecting my phone when I try to unlock the trunk but it turns out I just had to double press the trunk release for it to open.

FWIW, I let the Tesla app use my location anytime (and not just while using the app). It creates a permanent geofence icon on the t left next to my clock, but that’s a small price to pay for how reliable the phone key has been for me.

A sizable number of those responding to the poll have trouble with their phone-as-key. Only about a quarter to a third report having no real issues, meaning everyone else is walking up to their Model 3 very much in doubt about whether they'll have to intervene somehow to get it to work. I would call this pretty compelling data.
EM makes much of "going back to first principles" in design, and it seems to me data like this qualifies as a first principles issue. Here's an idea that Tesla made central to the Model 3 owning experience, and it is not working out so well. Personally, it was one reason why I canceled my reservation (it would drive me nuts to have a simple unlock the car evolution become a will-it-or-won't it struggle).
So I wonder: at what point will EM recognize that this is a first principles issue and make the necessary change to a simple, reliable fob? Or is he too heavily-invested in a poor design choice to make that change?
Robin
This poll probably suffers from selection bias. ie., those that are having problems are more likely to want to participate in the poll. I bet the actual percentage of people having problems is MUCH lower. I for one am having no problems with phone as a key. I participated in the poll because I am OBSESSED with my awesome new Model 3!

After 6 days on the iPhone X, it has been perfectly reliable so far. I thought it had trouble detecting my phone when I try to unlock the trunk but it turns out I just had to double press the trunk release for it to open.

FWIW, I let the Tesla app use my location anytime (and not just while using the app). It creates a permanent geofence icon on the t left next to my clock, but that’s a small price to pay for how reliable the phone key has been for me.

I turned on the location on my iPhone se and I have had no issues since. Thank you . I believe u fixed my phone key issue!!!

Also the trunk opens now with a second attempt due to having the location turned on.

I tried it once with the location off and I could not get into my car with many attempts until I opened the Tesla app. Even though my Bluetooth was on, the screen in my car kept showing me to use my key card to gain entrance before I opened the Tesla app on my phone.

Reactions: nvx1977
I’ve only had the car for three days and 350 miles (!) but I’ve had zero phone key failures, even when the app itself was down for a day. It’s working much more smoothly than I feared.

iPhone 8+ (Edit: “location” enabled any time, not just when app is open)

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
Providing a fob wouldn't prevent anyone who prefers the phone key from using it that way. NOT providing a fob FORCES people who hate troubleshooting malfunctioning technology to deal with it.
I think this is the correct answer.

My wife doesn't have a smart phone, and doesn't want one. I have one. But I'd personally rather have a FOB for the actual driving/unlocking part, and use my phone to set the cabin temp 5 minutes before I get in. If my phone can't connect temporarily, then I'm just going to be a little hot or cold when I get in. If my phone can't connect when I walk up, I'm going to be digging around my wallet for the key card, or fiddling with my phone.

There is nothing preventing a Bluetooth FOB from being given to the owners to drive, and still being allowed to "share" access to their car with a friend by pairing, or whenever FSD is available and the Tesla Taxi network comes online, to use people's phones to give them access as passengers. Nothing, that is, other than Tesla not doing it.

I've been having more frequent issues the last few days. The first couple weeks it was <10%.

And yesterday, I walked up to the car, tried to open it, it didn't work, and a second later the screen showed how to use the keycard to unlock. I've never seen that before.

Most time it doesn't work, it does work like 6-8 seconds later.

The amount of people who had the issue of being home near the car, and having it unlock has to be really low. I don't know why they made the feature better for 10%, and worse for 90%?

At least give the option.

Reactions: cellogig
Had my car a little over two weeks. Never had a problem until I received 2018.14.13 a few days ago. Today I had to resort to using the card to be able to drive.
Tried several fixes based on feedback from this post and it now seems to be working. Not clear what actually fixed the problem. Galaxy S8.

Are there any equivalent setting for Android? I'm on Marshmallow (6.0.1) and looked around settings numerous times (whenever I see posts like this) and have never found an app setting that looked like it would adjust how the Tesla app uses location.

I don’t know.
Last evening this setting failed me. I thought it would be a fix. I have tried a few things that people have suggested here on the fourm. So with that said...

As stated here don’t depend on your phone as a key. Instead use your key card. Hope for a fob. Or enjoy the trials and tribulations of phone key failure.

Sorry for a false hope.

Reactions: slipnslider