TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poll on the Nosecone Debate

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by wdolson, Mar 24, 2016.

?

Do you like the Model X nose and want to see it on all Tesla cars?

1. Yes love it

52 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. It's OK, but better than the Model S

36 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Neutral, both are OK, or no opinion

23 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Don't like the Model X nose, the Model S nose is marginally better

40 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Hate the Model X nose, almost anything would be better

18 vote(s)
    10.4%
  6. Other (explain below)

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

It's been my impression most people have a strong opinion about the Model S and X noses and opinion seems to be split 50/50. I thought I would poll to see if this was true.

Moderators, sorry if this is the wrong forum, this applies to all three of the existing and upcoming Tesla models, so it didn't fit in any of the individual car forums.

2. BriansTesla

BriansTesla Old school meets new tech

Never did like the S nosecone. Always liked the original prototype.
    25-tesla-model-s-development-1301372361.jpg

• Like x 1
  3. Charles847

Charles847 Member

Think the model X nose lacks style and leaves too much blank space on front of car. Looks especially bad in white. The front of the car is the statement and introduction or preface. It's lacking big time on the X

4. James Anders

James Anders Member

Model X nose is OK when the car is black or very dark color.

With lighter color cars the front takes on a "nautical" look and it's just not proportioned correctly. Something's off to my eye.

5. ModelX

ModelX Member

I really like the X nose cone, but like that tesla doesn't have the same nose cone on all cars. I hope the model3 has a different one from either the S or X.

6. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

After seeing cars with radiator grills and them being such an important part which defines brand, intent it is not surprising that the X felt looked a little odd at first. It has grown on me, clearly states this is an EV and doesn't need or want a radiator or any of the bits that are attached to it. I am pretty sold on it.

The S on the other hand is neither one thing or another. It has a clearly defined area where a radiator grill would be on an ICE and always seemed to me that TESLA didn't have the courage of their convictions when it came to styling (maybe this was due to market research or preference of those who made the design decisions, we may never know). I would prefer a colour coded front that is bold in it's statement - EV and proud!

7. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

The X nose cone has certainly grown on me. At first I wasn't a big fan, but the X nose cone on the S looks very nice. I am hoping for that update and a few others to be announced on the 31st!

Thanks Erik

8. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

Missing an option:

Model X nose cone is a step towards no grill.

9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Boy the prototype looks great. Wish I had that look.

It does look more like the MX than the MS. Wonder why they deviated from this?

10. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

Wind tunnel testing is my guess

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I finally saw an X yesterday in the wild. Boy that took forever! I was underwhelmed. I had never seen one aside from photos. I have never liked the white version. This one was Midnight Metallic, which I thought looked better in photos. It just did not do it for me in real life. I don't think it is ugly. I just don't think it gives the car a true authoritative presence. I'm not in the market. So, ultimately, I don't care all that much. My only hope is that those who have bought the X are in love, as I am with my lovely Miss.

I think the S nose cone is OK. It doesn't bother me at all and I really don't have strong feelings about it. I certainly don't think it is beautiful. I don't think it's ugly either. It is certainly different. I don't think it takes away from the beauty of the overall design, which I think is truly stunning. For me, the most beautiful grille is that of an Aston Martin. I salivate over the new DB 11 grille, and car, for that matter. The most lovely thing I have ever seen.

Not being a designer or having a creative bone in my body, I don't have any other design suggestions that could improve the front end look of either car. So I don't think criticizing either design would be fair.

And I still love both cars!!!

12. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

My wife heard me talk about Telsa for years, even before being named Tesla. And when the Model S was unveiled she was surprised "wow it looks boring, I bet they will sell tons" at the time I figured she was right. People will name any car that the Model S or any Cuv the Model X should look like. Yet boring camery's and Civics out sell well "designed" cars.

Telsa needed to sell cars, not just be look good in photo shoots

13. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

To me, and I am dating myself here, the Model X nose reminds me of the.... Chevrolet Corvair?

14. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

This is what the model S nose cone design looks like ...

[​IMG]

15. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

We will buy a Model X anyhow (so, that is my vote in the REAL poll!), but I would definitely prefer the look of the prototype. I think Tesla should have positioned this "grill" as a Sensor Panel to justify having it on the front of an electric car. I certainly recall the difficulty that VW had in giving one of their rear-engined, air-cooled vehicles (the 411/412) an acceptable appearance; in the early 1970s, they failed miserably. VW 411 vs X and X Proto.jpg

16. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

I hated the "nose job" at first, then it started growing on me. Now when I look at the nose of the S it looks dated...

One thing though, i would like them to rethink the way the bumper and the nose meet. From certain angles it can look a little like a big cartoon mouth.

• Like x 1
  17. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

#17 EcoHeliGuy, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    You can't compare a pre alpha prototype to a production car. One was based on sketches and the production car was based on achieving a .24 drag coefficient. Want the old nose? lose considerable range. It's like saying I wish we stuck with wooden wheels.

Years ago Porsche had a recall and lawsuit for not installing a whole aero package front and rear, people either wanted only the front Airdam or only the rear wing, causing the cars to fly off the road at high speeds. Aerodynamics make a difference and having a bulbuse nose doesn't help.

18. MitchMitch

MitchMitch Lurker In Chief

2011_olds_aurora_by_taglane.jpg 2001 Aurora.jpg

I'm drawn (no pun intended) to the top image - a Tesla S-ish Olds Aurora concept, from 2009 Motor Trend Forum user "Taglane." (amateur? )
    Perhaps because I still drive one like the lower production model, from just before GM ditched the Olds nameplate.

• Like x 1
  19. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Oldsmobile was actually GM's best brand. Too bad they let it fail. And that concept car looks like Tesla copied it. :rolleyes:

GM would be smart to clone that puppy and bring it out today as a BEV.

• Like x 1
  20. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

For Model S, it would have been so cool to put the radar inside the cone. Maybe they will yet.