Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on the Nosecone Debate

Do you like the Model X nose and want to see it on all Tesla cars?

• Yes love it

Votes: 52 30.1%
  • It's OK, but better than the Model S

Votes: 36 20.8%
  • Neutral, both are OK, or no opinion

Votes: 23 13.3%
  • Don't like the Model X nose, the Model S nose is marginally better

Votes: 40 23.1%
  • Hate the Model X nose, almost anything would be better

Votes: 18 10.4%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
It's been my impression most people have a strong opinion about the Model S and X noses and opinion seems to be split 50/50. I thought I would poll to see if this was true.

Moderators, sorry if this is the wrong forum, this applies to all three of the existing and upcoming Tesla models, so it didn't fit in any of the individual car forums.

Never did like the S nosecone. Always liked the original prototype.
25-tesla-model-s-development-1301372361.jpg

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Think the model X nose lacks style and leaves too much blank space on front of car. Looks especially bad in white. The front of the car is the statement and introduction or preface. It's lacking big time on the X

After seeing cars with radiator grills and them being such an important part which defines brand, intent it is not surprising that the X felt looked a little odd at first. It has grown on me, clearly states this is an EV and doesn't need or want a radiator or any of the bits that are attached to it. I am pretty sold on it.

The S on the other hand is neither one thing or another. It has a clearly defined area where a radiator grill would be on an ICE and always seemed to me that TESLA didn't have the courage of their convictions when it came to styling (maybe this was due to market research or preference of those who made the design decisions, we may never know). I would prefer a colour coded front that is bold in it's statement - EV and proud!

I finally saw an X yesterday in the wild. Boy that took forever! I was underwhelmed. I had never seen one aside from photos. I have never liked the white version. This one was Midnight Metallic, which I thought looked better in photos. It just did not do it for me in real life. I don't think it is ugly. I just don't think it gives the car a true authoritative presence. I'm not in the market. So, ultimately, I don't care all that much. My only hope is that those who have bought the X are in love, as I am with my lovely Miss.

I think the S nose cone is OK. It doesn't bother me at all and I really don't have strong feelings about it. I certainly don't think it is beautiful. I don't think it's ugly either. It is certainly different. I don't think it takes away from the beauty of the overall design, which I think is truly stunning. For me, the most beautiful grille is that of an Aston Martin. I salivate over the new DB 11 grille, and car, for that matter. The most lovely thing I have ever seen.

Not being a designer or having a creative bone in my body, I don't have any other design suggestions that could improve the front end look of either car. So I don't think criticizing either design would be fair.

And I still love both cars!!!

My wife heard me talk about Telsa for years, even before being named Tesla. And when the Model S was unveiled she was surprised "wow it looks boring, I bet they will sell tons" at the time I figured she was right. People will name any car that the Model S or any Cuv the Model X should look like. Yet boring camery's and Civics out sell well "designed" cars.

Telsa needed to sell cars, not just be look good in photo shoots

We will buy a Model X anyhow (so, that is my vote in the REAL poll!), but I would definitely prefer the look of the prototype. I think Tesla should have positioned this "grill" as a Sensor Panel to justify having it on the front of an electric car. I certainly recall the difficulty that VW had in giving one of their rear-engined, air-cooled vehicles (the 411/412) an acceptable appearance; in the early 1970s, they failed miserably.
VW 411 vs X and X Proto.jpg

I hated the "nose job" at first, then it started growing on me. Now when I look at the nose of the S it looks dated...

One thing though, i would like them to rethink the way the bumper and the nose meet. From certain angles it can look a little like a big cartoon mouth.

Reactions: Tedkidd
You can't compare a pre alpha prototype to a production car. One was based on sketches and the production car was based on achieving a .24 drag coefficient. Want the old nose? lose considerable range. It's like saying I wish we stuck with wooden wheels.

Years ago Porsche had a recall and lawsuit for not installing a whole aero package front and rear, people either wanted only the front Airdam or only the rear wing, causing the cars to fly off the road at high speeds. Aerodynamics make a difference and having a bulbuse nose doesn't help.

Last edited:
2011_olds_aurora_by_taglane.jpg
2001 Aurora.jpg

I'm drawn (no pun intended) to the top image - a Tesla S-ish Olds Aurora concept, from 2009 Motor Trend Forum user "Taglane." (amateur? )
Perhaps because I still drive one like the lower production model, from just before GM ditched the Olds nameplate.

Reactions: Lex