Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wipers, Defrosters, Mirror adjustment, and Fog Lights need to be made more easily accessible.

Bring back the Cards for Odometer and Tire Pressure.

Move Side Warning Camera screen to TOP Left of Display.

All these are IMPORTANT SAFETY FUNCTIONS. They should not be hidden under 3 layers of menus!
Wipers and mirror adjustments are all in the first layer of the main settings menu. Wipers settings are also available by clicking the end of the stalk - same as before.

Defrost is in the first layer of the HVAC menu with larger touch targets than before.

Odometer is two taps just like before if you used the settings menu to see it. If you used the cards to access the odometer, it took a minimum of two swipes depending on which card was currently displayed (a swipe left to get to trips, then a swipe up to get to the bottom of the trips card). Two taps vs at least two swipes?

Tire pressure is now two taps as opposed to at least one swipe depending on which card was being displayed.

I agree that fog lights should be on the main settings page instead of in the light menu (second layer), but I’ll survive. I appreciate the new quick lighting menu when activating the high beams.

Contrary to your claim, none of these functions are three layers deep.

A car is a potential death machine. That's objectively true, and not an over-reaction. It's not like we are complaining about a phone or computer OS overhaul. Things on the road sometime happen faster than you can react, even with your undivided attention. Add distracted driving - a proven thing - and each extra click increases distracted driving. I don't understand how anyone can honestly dispute that.
No, but people are complaining about having an extra rap for things like trip logs and tire pressure. Two things that shouldn’t viewers while driving a “potential death machine.”

No, but people are complaining about having an extra rap for things like trip logs and tire pressure. Two things that shouldn’t viewers while driving a “potential death machine.”
Definitely overly dramatic.
Take a few minutes. Learn where things are. The best way to bring them up, and no more “Death Machine” :)

If that doesn’t work, carefully pull over, park the car until the next update comes through to fix your concerns, so your life is no longer at great peril. (Okay, that’s maybe also definitely overly dramatic. )

And what does this have to do with the V11 update?

That the heater stopped working is bad. But don't generate more FUD
To me this is more about traveling in the winter without proper preparation. It has been many years since I've traveled remote highways with small children but when we did we always took plenty of clothes and often a sleeping bag or two. Anyone who dies of hypothermia because of a vehicle breakdown really only has themselves to blame. There is no reason anyone can't survive for a day or two in an enclosed vehicle (with proper preparation). Unexpected things happen.

To me this is more about traveling in the winter without proper preparation. It has been many years since I've traveled remote highways with small children but when we did we always took plenty of clothes and often a sleeping bag or two. Anyone who dies of hypothermia because of a vehicle breakdown really only has themselves to blame. There is no reason anyone can't survive for a day or two in an enclosed vehicle (with proper preparation). Unexpected things happen.
That's fine and a valid point. Just a reminder that the title of this thread is "Poll on V11 interface." The article you posted had NOTHING to do with V11 and by posting here appears to be making a connection between the heater issue and V11. Hence my FUD comment: there is already too much of that here.

I think a different thread, either a new or existing one, would be a better place for that post.

That's fine and a valid point. Just a reminder that the title of this thread is "Poll on V11 interface." The article you posted had NOTHING to do with V11 and by posting here appears to be making a connection between the heater issue and V11. Hence my FUD comment: there is already too much of that here.

I think a different thread, either a new or existing one, would be a better place for that post.
Fair comment.

Preliminary thoughts after about an hour of exploring...

Pros:
- dark mode
- blind spot camera with turn signals (though it's hidden behind your hand if on the steering wheel)
- the turn signal indicators on the screen are in a better position than before the update

Cons:
- speedometer font still too small and too thin and shouldn't be jammed up against the side of the screen. It was WAY better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a bolder, larger and centered. I wish when they make changes like this, they wouldn't ram it down our throats. There should be an option to center it and make it larger/bolder like before.
- they still have warning lights down the side of the screen (behind your hand while on the steering wheel). This was obviously designed by someone sitting at a desk.
- odometer and trip meters buried deeper. The cards were much better
- tire pressures buried deeper. The cards were much better
- windshield wiper controls buried deeper The cards and/or button at the bottom is much better for wiper controls
- the energy line (gray/green) is still unnecessarily thin. It was also significantly better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a few pixels thicker
- the dash cam icon disappeared from above the map. Why?? It wasn't in the way of anything. Problem is, sometimes the red light goes out and I have to pull the USB drive and re-insert it. Now I have to manually check in the controls section to see if it's working. This one really ticks me off (assuming the issue still exists - for me I have to pull the USB about once every week or two)
- you can't pin enough icons to the bottom of the screen (too much unused area that could be useful)
- heated seats buried in climate controls. Again this requires more attention off the road to access them. Guess that happens when the designers live in southern California.

Summary:
The driver interface was WAY better when I bought the car in fall 2020 (before the Xmas 2020 update). Since then, it requires more attention off what's important (the road ahead) and therefore it is less safe to drive the car (unless you have full self driving and have the luxury of time to hunt around for information while not looking at the road).

They should offer "classic" interface/settings or something like that for those who appreciate the superior engineering and design that keeps being replaced, just for the sake of changing to a fresh look.

I'm really disappointed that they didn't allow more customization as suggested by Elon about a year ago when so many people complained after the Xmas 2020 update. When it comes time to replace the car, I'd seriously consider leaving the brand over stuff like this (handcuffing you to "downgrades")
Good luck finding an EV with battery efficiency, range and super charging infrastructure of Tesla. Audi eTron is very elegant, interior is superb, but it’s large, clunky to drive, bad range, and uses Electrify America which at this stage is not very good. Ford MachE is nice but lacks supercharging network and I think it’s interior is kind of clunky. VW id.4 is nice but is still only rwd and relies on Electrify America. But if your displeasure with the software upgrade is enough to cause you to switch brands, then I wish you the best.

Wipers, Defrosters, Mirror adjustment, and Fog Lights need to be made more easily accessible.

Bring back the Cards for Odometer and Tire Pressure.

Move Side Warning Camera screen to TOP Left of Display.

All these are IMPORTANT SAFETY FUNCTIONS. They should not be hidden under 3 layers of menus!
Also the new TRIP menu does not show 10ths of a mile, so if you drive 1.9 miles it will only show 1 mile.

another thing i discovered is that in v10, you could trivially switch between turn by turn and overview views in the map by tapping the top of the navigation banner showing the next turn.

i have no idea what it does now, but it's not that, and to get equivalent behavior you have to first tap somewhere on the map, then tap the tiny circle in the upper left. brilliant.

Heat pumps not working is not a result of the update. The heat pumps have been having sensor problems since they were introduced (long before V11).
There is a topic on this forum where people with M3 perfectly fine V10 heating started having issues after upgrading to V11. I am not familiar with the issue - there might have been a sensor problem - but people complain _after_ the upgrade.

A car is a potential death machine. That's objectively true, and not an over-reaction. It's not like we are complaining about a phone or computer OS overhaul. Things on the road sometime happen faster than you can react, even with your undivided attention. Add distracted driving - a proven thing - and each extra click increases distracted driving. I don't understand how anyone can honestly dispute that.
So once more.. so i completely understand.. some people are disputing that it is possible to kill someone or be killed by being distracted for a longer amount of time than necessary while driving (as i perform critical vehicle operations) ?

So once more.. so i completely understand.. some people are disputing that it is possible to kill someone or be killed by being distracted for a longer amount of time than necessary while driving (as i perform critical vehicle operations) ?
My only question would be whether the car should block all non-critical vehicle operations while the car is in motion? No changes (by the driver) to seat heaters, music, navigation, energy consumption, hands free phone calls, etc would be allowed unless the vehicle is in park since those are unnecessary distractions. I would suggest that almost all drivers would accept some level of distraction but what is the acceptable level.

Reactions: hatch
This whole heated discussion comes from the notion of “My way or the high way”. Stubbornness that my way is the only right way. If they just give us the option to add critical functions to the shortcut bar (like they do for non-critical functions) all of us would be fine. May be put off by unnecessary changes and some quirks, but not pissed off.
I don’t want to derail the discussion but the pattern is what is concerning. I have friends who canceled the refreshed S just because of the yoke. Haven’t heard anyone buying the car because of the yoke. May be not to the same extent but V11 is in the same category.
Please do not tell me that if I do not like V11 I should get another car. There is a huge difference between “I buy the car because I love it” and “I buy the car because there is no viable alternative “. The more people they move from the former to the latter category, the harder the hit is when viable alternatives appear. In only a few years Tesla will not be the only car with long range, good acceleration and charging network. Some manufacturers will add to this high quality and luxury features. Because, let’s face it, Tesla May be a very technologically advanced car but it is neither high quality nor luxury car. If they continue with such amateurish behavior, which is excusable for a startup but not for the largest manufacturer in the world, they will have a very, very tough time.
Yes, I am passionate about this because I like the mission behind the company and I want them to succeed. There are too many examples in history of the scenario that is likely to unfold in the next few years - they should not ignore it.

Last edited:
This whole heated discussion comes from the notion of “My way or the high way”. Stubbornness that my way is the only right way. If they give us the option to add critical functions to the shortcut bar (like they do for non-critical functions) all of us would be fine. May be put off by unnecessary changes, but not pissed off.
I don’t want to derail the discussion but the pattern is what is concerning. I have friends who canceled the refreshed S just because of the yoke. Haven’t heard anyone buying the car because of the yoke. May be not to the same extent but V11 is in the same category.

I agree on the yoke. I wonder how much if a distraction it would be to make it pluggable and sell a few options on shop-tesla. That would be an awesome customization feature. If only…

Reactions: Boza