Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No it didn't: that is useless hyperbole
I disagree, but won't downvote or disagree lest I get called out.

Anytime you have to look away from the big outside world to find the right button or >combination< of buttons needed to activate a feature is a chance for a crash. The longer you need to look away, the worse it gets. I can fairly easily predict the activity of cars around me for the next N seconds and feel reasonably secure in looking away for that time. Now double or even triple N because I need to peruse through a menu or two, or even SCROLL in some cases, and it becomes completely unreasonable to look away from the road for that long. Even if you know you'll need 3N, unless you are on a limited access highway you won't be able to predict all the entries. Now do that while you can't see out the f'n windshield because you can no longer turn on the defroster.

I see you are from southern california, and would never need a defroster.

So, yeah... much less safe to drive.

Another real irritation we ran across while driving 750+ miles yesterday is that the map button to see Superchargers no longer works. To see them, you have to touch the navigation box, then touch the top menu label "Charging." But it gets even worse: if you then set a destination, the Superchargers disappear, i.e., you cannot be using navigation and see what other Superchargers are around your designated route. Instead, you'd have to turn navigation off, again touch "Charging" to see the Superchargers, then restart navigation. Needless to say, this interrupts and resets your "trip" energy data. Phooey!

I see you are from southern california, and would never need a defroster.
Well, yes, I sometimes do need my defroster. And every time I have needed it, I turned it on well in advance of heading to my car (via the app) so that the windows have time to defrost prior to me driving. To me, that is much safer than driving with partially fogged up windows because I didn't turn the defroster on prior to starting to drive.

I'm spending way too much time trying to figure out where things are now hidden. Had to do Google searches to find where the windshield wiper controls went. No idea where the TPMS reset went. Driving around with new rims/snow tires and can't get rid of the tire pressure warnings because I can't figure out how to reset to the new TPMS's.

Well, yes, I sometimes do need my defroster. And every time I have needed it, I turned it on well in advance of heading to my car (via the app) so that the windows have time to defrost prior to me driving. To me, that is much safer than driving with partially fogged up windows because I didn't turn the defroster on prior to starting to drive.
You've apparently never driven in a cold climate, where you get a choice between cabin(specifically feet) heating or defrosting. When the ambient temperature is 30f or less, its not uncommon to alternate between them. Of course, you'll now point out I should use my seat heaters instead of cabin air heaters, but of course THOSE will take several button presses to turn off or adjust up or down.

I'm sure that your use of defrost for a few minutes in southern california before driving is sufficient.

It has nothing to do with when you first get in the car. Windows fog up randomly while driving all the time due to changes in temperature and humidity.

I am a lover of change when the changes make sense. I tried really hard to like this update, but I'm having trouble finding anything that this new version does better than the old version.

I do like that we can now manually tune the subwoofer, the blind spot cameras are a good idea, the current speed seems to be easier to see in my peripheral, and the ability to make the left (vehicle status) screen full-screen is cool (especially for those of us with FSD beta), but those things could have happened on the old version.

My biggest gripes are:

1. The removal of the top right corner icons (sentry, dashcam, homelink, lte/wifi)
2. The removal of the trip and tire pressure cards
3. The thin, tiny font used for street names on the map (I have better than 20/20 vision and have a difficult time reading them while driving)
4. The removal of the media player button that brings up the currently-playing media window/bar. [Now you have to tap a source icon (streaming, radio, Spotify, etc.) twice to bring up the little media bar at the bottom of the map, whereas before you could just tap the media icon and it would bring up the media window to whatever size (full, half, bottom bar) you had it before] The current Model S with v11 has a setting to automatically display the current media while driving, but the Model 3 and Y do not for some reason. Maybe an oversight?

I wish there was a way that we could provide constructive criticism and feature requests directly to Tesla other than tweeting at Elon and hoping he sees it.

This version is definitely laying the foundation for bigger changes to come. Hopefully the next updates address some of our issues.

I am a lover of change when the changes make sense. I tried really hard to like this update, but I'm having trouble finding anything that this new version does better than the old version.
I agree! Change for the sake of change is never a good thing. But change for better functionality works, just don't fix what isn't broken! This new UI looks like a teenager designed it. Hard to believe Elon approved this.

You've apparently never driven in a cold climate, where you get a choice between cabin(specifically feet) heating or defrosting. When the ambient temperature is 30f or less, its not uncommon to alternate between them. Of course, you'll now point out I should use my seat heaters instead of cabin air heaters, but of course THOSE will take several button presses to turn off or adjust up or down.

I'm sure that your use of defrost for a few minutes in southern california before driving is sufficient.
relax man, breath.….

”ambient“…….😂 Who goes out of their way add “ambient” to describe temperature? 😂✌️

Last edited:
I love changes and that’s what keeps me excited. But this new UI sucks big time.
1: The ugly square orange music button that sticks out like a sore thumb and even distracting
2: Blind spot camera sits way too low and slow to come on to be useful at all.
3: You can bring up the shortcut menu for defroster, heated seats etc, but why the hell do you have hit temperature adjusting arrows to active it? It means it requires changing the current temperature to just bring up the menu which are completely irrelevant.

It’s a frigging control panel, not a face to just look pretty. The more direct access to functions the better and safer.

We mean when driving not preheating the car... In the cold your windshield can frost very rapidly in matter of seconds.

This article is from April 28, 2021: Tesla's head of UI departs, showing unseen Cybertruck and FSD images in the process

Pawel Pietryka was an art director at Apple before joining Tesla back in 2016.

He quickly became Tesla’s head of user interface design – a very important role at Tesla since the in-car experience revolves around large touchscreen with user interfaces.

According to his LInkedin profile, Pietryka left Tesla last month to create his own design firm called Moderne Grafik Anstalt.

Pietryka has been replaced as head of UI design at Tesla by Ben Cunningham, who came to Tesla last year from Facebook.

Just read through this thread and an even longer one on the same topic in the Model Y forum. I have been driving Teslas since 2013. V11 certainly contains an unusually large number of changes, and I don’t find all of them to be an improvement. But the controversy reminds me of years ago when Tesla made the first really major change to the interface by removing the circular “dial” from the drivers display in the Model S. A lot of people got very upset. And then it all passed into history and newer owners who had never had the old display could not understand what all the fuss was about.

In V11 I do wish that there were widgets that could be added to the toolbar at the bottom for wipers, tire pressure, odometer, and a few other things. It seems like this would be pretty easy to do for a future release. I am going to try to train myself to use voice commands for some functions, though of course that only works in areas where the car has a cell signal, and very specific words need to used that aren’t always intuitive. Hopefully Tesla will expand the list of allowed voice command words in the future.

A bigger issue is how over time Tesla’s interface is getting farther and farther away from traditional cars with lots of buttons and knobs, but also diverging from older Teslas.The interface in my 2017 X is very different than V11 in my 2018 Model 3. Sometimes I find it confusing when switching between cars.

And think about how people will manage when in the near future they can rent a Model 3 from Hertz, which recently placed an order for 100,000 of them. Rental car customers want to just be able to hop in their car and drive. With rental cars I always have had to spend a few minutes locating the basic controls (and it could be a very annoying few minutes) but that is going to take much more time for people who have never driven a Tesla before.

In 2022 there will be many V11 updates and I’m sure it will improve. I am certain that Tesla designers do read the online feedback in forums like this one.

You can pin the dashcam icon but how do you save a clip while driving if you don't want to honk the horn? Before you'd tap the icon above the map.
I'm looking for this too. I use this often and now it's just gone. You can do it via voice (I dislike voice commands, I find they often take multiple tries and of course don't work if you don't have cell coverage) or by digging through the menus.

Has Tesla ever said they want people to transition to voice commands or is that just something a certain subset of people on here claim? As somebody who despises voice commands in a car, I would like to know :)
It's implied by them making things harder to get to.
Welcome to the land of humidity. The car can be perfectly clear when you get in but partway through driving will fog or ice up.
This new UI looks like a teenager designed it. Hard to believe Elon approved this.
Actually that it looks like a teenager designed it makes it clear Elon had a hand in it. He is a child.

(Come to think of it my teenagers would do better design work than this.)