Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honest question, but why is that important in 95% of circumstances when you aren’t going to run your battery to below 10% and/or don’t have easy access to charging stations?
The quantity Wh/mile is important because it shows how efficiently you are using the car’s battery. As mentioned previously it is akin to MPG on gasoline powered cars. It is arguably one of the most important metrics of EV performance. Personally I wish Tesla had gone with the inverse quantity (miles/Wh) because then it would be more clear that it indicates fuel consumption.

Reactions: jsmay311
The quantity Wh/mile is important because it shows how efficiently you are using the car’s battery. As mentioned previously it is akin to MPG on gasoline powered cars. It is arguably one of the most important metrics of EV performance. Personally I wish Tesla had gone with the inverse quantity (miles/Wh) because then it would be more clear that it indicates fuel consumption.

Wh/mi is still displayed front-and-center in the energy monitor app, along with a great graph or both recent and projected consumption. Pin it and it’s one click away. I check it every so often on road trips to make sure I’m on track and find it to be far more useful than the basic trip meter.

Fanboys will deem this a gross overreaction, but I've had a similar change in how I "market" the car. Before v11, I was letting my friends (and even strangers) test drive my car, always touting the greatness of Tesla products, and urging people to consider buying one. Now I'm more reserved when discussing Tesla, because I'd feel bad if one of my buddies spends $50,000 on a Model 3 and then realizes he can't even see the trip odometer and the map at the same time. I'm still on the EV bandwagon and touting the superiority of electrification, but just less likely to solely recommend Tesla. The UI is the core of the user experience in a Tesla, so it's gotta be great. And it's not right now.
I am in the same mood. In fact, I am wondering if they could screw the UI in such way, what else are they doing that we will notice later (if ever).

It is a bit rest of the world - they measure in liters per 100km, aka Wh/mile. It is a very important metric, similar to 0-60/0-100 time.

Another thing that bugs me is that when a given screen is not applicable to the conditions, it should automatically close. Specifically, if I'm playing a game, or watching Netflix or (much more commonly) looking at a recently recorded Sentry mode video, when I shift into drive it should just close, instead of taking up 70% of my screen with a big black box that says something like "viewing recordings is not allowed when in gear", in arguably smaller type than necessary given the enormous real estate it has.

I don't want to have to take a moment to look away from driving to swipe away a box that the car already knows is useless to me.

Last edited:
The fault in your analogy is that your ability to view efficiency wasn’t removed. Moreover, viewing efficiency ratings is likely far less important to the majority of Tesla’s customers than the other items you mentioned.

There is nothing damaging in liking the new interface - stop with the hyperbole.
The wh/mi indicator is very valuable information especially if you are on a trip. It allows you to adjust your energy usage to increase your range if necessary.

It HAS effectively been removed or at least been severely crippled when you are navigating somewhere as you can't see the map.

I am not particularly annoyed with this upgrade as I have been driving a Tesla long enough to expect this kind of "improvement" but I certainly understand those that are.

Reactions: jsmay311
I am glad that Tesla finally installed blind spot camera function. Very nice. I wish the blind spot image was on the right side of the screen because my right hand is constantly blocking the view. I would like to suggest that Tesla give us an option to switch the map view and speedometer view. Basically move the map to the left side of the screen.

Other than the blind spot view, I HATE THIS UPDATE. Whoever designed this should be FIRED. I mean WHY? Why? Give us an option to turn it back to the older version. I am even willing to give up the blind spot view for the older version. You need to put safety and essential functions on the screen and easy to find. My 89yo father is really struggling with V11. He is unable to find wiper and defroster. Everything is so small and hidden. Autopilot status is difficult to see and location of icons and colors don’t even make any senses. Uggg…. This is probably the worst, ugliest, and most unsafe update ever.

This is the biggest bummer to me. The Model 3 has been my commute medicine. But right now it's frustrating. Hopefully Tesla makes quick changes and makes me look forward to driving again.
I agree 100%. Looking at the new screen is so upsetting. Toay, for the first time in 6 months, I drove my Lexus SUV to grocery store and it was actually nice. Tomorrow, I will drive my convertable to San Francisco. V11 is forcing me to rediscover the joy of driving my other ICE cars.
Seriously Elon, I love Tesla and I own three Teslas but this update is really bad.

People, if you haven’t updated to V11, please don’t. You will seriously regret this.

My impression is a designer who wanted the display super uncluttered bullied the others. That's the misguided philosophy behind the bad choices. For example, coverage display gone, profile gone, only 4 icons, no defrost, no seat heater icons, smaller AP indicator, no elapsed time for audio, and so on.
They went to the Moon and back and no one complained it was cluttered. There are no switchboards on top of switchboards…

1641083463580.jpeg

Reactions: rjpjnk
This may be a crazy impossible dream.. but if Tesla UI engineers were so inclined, i'd love to see a software developer kit that would enable the community to develop skins. There HAS to be a safe way to re-arrange everything in a strictly cosmetic sense. There would always be a quick button to switch to the stock interface, for other drivers to use. Profiles could contain one or a few preferred skins.

The possibilities could be endless. There are many super smart people in our community. I could imagine this as one more advantage of owning a Tesla. There would be no other car with this type of capability. It's kind of like certain ICE car brands that have such great communities and so many aftermarket options. Tesla themselves, would not have to dig deep into everyone's complaints.
That would be very difficult. There are standards for certain controls. Tesla, with the complete touch screen control (and stockless design) is in a bit of uncharted territory. I would not be surprised if they are forced to “recall” V11 due to some functions that are critical to car operation are not easily available. For example, you cannot sell a car without a rear defroster in the USA.
On the other hand, I am not sure how isolated the UI is from the critical car components (after seeing the V11 update I would question everything). You don’t want some kid’s clever button position to interfere with the ABS.
In general, those things are heavily tested in terms of functionality and ergonomics. It is shocking that Tesla forced an update that didn’t even go through usability test. I am sure that regulators will notice some glaring issues (like defroster, odometer, etc.). The sooner Tesla issue an update, the better. There is too much spotlight on them as is.

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
I would not be surprised if they are forced to “recall” V11 due to some functions that are critical to car operation are not easily available. For example, you cannot sell a car without a rear defroster in the USA.

The car still has a rear defroster. It is two taps away instead of one. To my knowledge, there is no law requiring defrost to be a top layer control.

Thinking on this some more, front defrost is required, but I don’t think rear defrost is. Back in the day, electric rear defrost was optional on some cars.

You don’t want some kid’s clever button position to interfere with the ABS.

What? Button position & ABS?

It is shocking that Tesla forced an update that didn’t even go through usability test. I am sure that regulators will notice some glaring issues (like defroster, odometer, etc.). The sooner Tesla issue an update, the better. There is too much spotlight on them as is.

You’re making some pretty outlandish claims.

One: Tesla did not “force” this update. You accepted the download and you also accepted the install.

Two: this update has been in the wild for months - since the release of the Model S Plaid. To say this didn’t go through usability tests is ridiculous.

Reactions: DDHEverything
That would be very difficult. There are standards for certain controls. Tesla, with the complete touch screen control (and stockless design) is in a bit of uncharted territory. I would not be surprised if they are forced to “recall” V11 due to some functions that are critical to car operation are not easily available. For example, you cannot sell a car without a rear defroster in the USA.
On the other hand, I am not sure how isolated the UI is from the critical car components (after seeing the V11 update I would question everything). You don’t want some kid’s clever button position to interfere with the ABS.
In general, those things are heavily tested in terms of functionality and ergonomics. It is shocking that Tesla forced an update that didn’t even go through usability test. I am sure that regulators will notice some glaring issues (like defroster, odometer, etc.). The sooner Tesla issue an update, the better. There is too much spotlight on them as is.
I suspect Tesla knows the law here. I’m amazed the “air bag off” indicator is still on the front screen. Sort of stands out now. I but it’s a requirement.