Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(forget RTFM, no-on
Is there a M we can FR on v11?
I just realize that i can't close or open garage is somebody in my Tesla didn't fasten seat belt. Even if it is second row. I also can not answer the phone if someone did not bucle up. Warning will cover the area of the screen where is normaly Home link buttons are.
I think you can swipe the seatbelt warning down and away.
And I think Tesla has offered that to a large degree and I like the customization. However where I part from this is that certain basic car info and function controls need to be in a standard place so anyone driving the car (family member or when you rent a car or lend to a friend) without thinking knows where this info/controls are.
With a huge rental fleet in the works you'd think this would be a bigger concern.

And I think Tesla has offered that to a large degree and I like the customization. However where I part from this is that certain basic car info and function controls need to be in a standard place so anyone driving the car (family member or when you rent a car or lend to a friend) without thinking knows where this info/controls are.
I would argue that V11 moves many controls to a central menu - the car menu - rather than having them scattered around the perimeter of the screen.

And yet the night time map is unreadable on a brand new M3.
I didn’t have any trouble getting from Michigan to Virginia at night after Christmas, and I keep the display pretty dark - 3% brightness on V10.

I’ll spend some time this evening driving around my neighborhood without navigation and see if it’s too dark. I’ve seen some screenshots where side streets were rather dimly depicted.

The car still has a rear defroster. It is two taps away instead of one. To my knowledge, there is no law requiring defrost to be a top layer control.

Thinking on this some more, front defrost is required, but I don’t think rear defrost is. Back in the day, electric rear defrost was optional on some cars.

What? Button position & ABS?

You’re making some pretty outlandish claims.

One: Tesla did not “force” this update. You accepted the download and you also accepted the install.

Two: this update has been in the wild for months - since the release of the Model S Plaid. To say this didn’t go through usability tests is ridiculous.
The update is “forced” because I cannot stop the nagging reminder every time I put the car in park. Also, if you have any service call they will install it for you.
When a regulator looks at features (like rear defroster) they also look at ergonomics. You cannot “pass” if the feature is there but you have to perform a 12 step procedure in order to use it. Especially, if it is related to safety (like the front defroster or wipers).

Reactions: Sporty
The update is “forced” because I cannot stop the nagging reminder every time I put the car in park. Also, if you have any service call they will install it for you.
When a regulator looks at features (like rear defroster) they also look at ergonomics. You cannot “pass” if the feature is there but you have to perform a 12 step procedure in order to use it. Especially, if it is related to safety (like the front defroster or wipers).
The nag will go away after about 2 weeks. Keep the car off wifi and you should only get ~3 update downloads a year.

• Informative
Reactions: Boza
They went to the Moon and back and no one complained it was cluttered. There are no switchboards on top of switchboards…

The impression i get from most UI designs, is that the engineers are too proud of their designs, to let users customize very much and "ruin" their masterpieces. I'm not a designer, or artistic whatsoever. But i can appreciate how much work goes into stuff like this.

But - just look at how many people load up their desktops with icons. Just about everyone in the world that uses a computer, phone, or tablet, use some amount of desktop icons. It's all about productivity and not having to constantly relearn how to do something. A car is even more critical regarding this concept. A car is a potential death machine. That's objectively true, and not an over-reaction.

To paraphrase one of Elon's favorite sayings for another use - "the best interface is no interface". There are absolutely plenty of locations at the bottom and top of the screen, to allow for pinning any function whatsoever as a small icon. If it is a clickable button in the UI, you should be able to drag it to a location at the top and/or the bottom of the screen. And we need plenty of icons - not just a few to throw us a bone.

Then they can change anything they want. As long as they retain the user customizable icon locations in every update, we would care very little what they do on the interface.

Unfortunately, this will not sit well with designers. If they did something like this, users would hardly ever look at the design of the UI, once they pinned their icons. I swear this is all about pride.

They went to the Moon and back and no one complained it was cluttered. There are no switchboards on top of switchboards…

View attachment 750905
I could envision a Controls panel that was somewhere in between what it is now and the Apollo physical panel. That is, make the icons smaller and squeeze more functions onto it. I did a drive with that panel up (I rarely need the map) and it was nice to have some of those functions at my fingertips. Add defrosts, seat heaters, odometer, and tire pressure and I'd be over the moon.

Controls.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Boza
I could envision a Controls panel that was somewhere in between what it is now and the Apollo physical panel. That is, make the icons smaller and squeeze more functions onto it. I did a drive with that panel up (I rarely need the map) and it was nice to have some of those functions at my fingertips. Add defrosts, seat heaters, odometer, and tire pressure and I'd be over the moon.

View attachment 751034
I get where you are coming from, but most of the things you mentioned used to be available WHILE the map was visible. Some people want to see the map for various reasons. I would much rather see a map than have it taken up by the 'driving' screen, even if just to give me fair warning about upcoming turns. I also don't see any audio controls on the 'driving' screen(which is proper, they aren't driving controls), and in the past I could have everything I wanted to be accessible at the same time, including the map and audio controls.

Having now had some experience with V11, my own feelings are that there is ‘The Good, The Bad and The (continuing) Question Mark’.

The Good

I like the overall design and feel of the interface. Clean and attractive. I find it an improvement on the previous versions in that regard. Also, I find the basic ‘desktop’ menu and the sub-menus to be more intuitive and better organized, with fewer confusing and overlapping choices. I really like the customizable apps, although I wish there were more possible choices for apps, each app button were just a bit larger, and more could be displayed at any one time (additional thoughts below on how to free up some screen space for this). Overall, my own feeling is that the fundamental design ideas underlying V11 are quite good.

The Bad

As a basic safety feature, there should be a permanent, large, ‘desktop’ wiper button. The wiper control choices that come up (very temporarily) when you push the button at the end of the left stalk are not enough, nor are the buried wiper commands available in the screen submenu. The on-screen wiper commands in the previous interface version were not great, and very much needed a complete rethinking, but V11 took the redesign in exactly the wrong direction. Also, as a basic safety feature, the front and rear windscreen defoggers urgently need to go back on the desktop. Additionally, the climate control adjustment sliders that are available in the submenus need to be tinkered with, to make them easier to set while driving. No doubt there are other improvements that could be made, but these are the main ones that I have notice so far as being immediately needed.

The (continuing) Question Mark

My basic question about V11, and indeed previous versions is: why the heck do we need or want a ‘car visualization’ permanently taking up a huge portion of the most prominent screen space on the interface? The visualization adds almost nothing to a safe and informed driving experience – and the minimal amount it does add could easily be displayed in an alternative, more efficient, ‘as needed’ fashion. With the visualization gone, minimized, or coming up only temporarily if needed, there would be a lot more room on the interface for crucial, worthwhile and interesting displays and functions. In my view, the ‘car visualization’ is a gimmick whose attractiveness wears out after the first week of owning a Tesla. It should be entirely rethought.

Last edited:
Auto seat heaters can waste energy if you don't need them. You also can't see the status anymore to see if the front passenger left them on (unless you dive into the climate screen).

Good point, I hadn't even thought of that. Although the automatic seat heater function doesn't work in all builds and hardware configurations, older model S and X apparently don't get automatic seat heaters. I didn't it's not an option in this update. Removing the icons from the main screen did happen, so I can no longer glance at the screen and see which seat heaters are on and which ones are off.

More on the Controls panel idea: Now would be the time to think about a special Compatible panel. It would have controls organized in a standard way, so that if you rent any type of car or drive someone else's, you can bring up that panel, and you'll know where everything is. For the future, of course.
This is one of the best ideas I've heard recently. Would help balance competing needs of customization and standardization.

Comparing your SOC to efficiency ratings as if they are useful equivalents? Poor argument. I’m done listening to all the whining. Thoughts and prayers for everyone’s additional clicks.
You keep making arguments about how none of this is important, but just because it's not important to you doesn't mean it's not important to others. We are not you. We are allowed to have varying opinions about our cars.

Don't waste any prayers on me.

So many of the responses on this thread say things like "why does that need to be good?". Those types of posts aren't helpful. My opinion is that every part of the UI should be the best it can be. I won't say that v10 was perfect, but I'm struggling to find even one thing that improved with v11, and see *many* things that are much worse. I've also not seen any posts that adequately rationalize any of the choices made in v11.

Like some others, the M3 has turned my long commute from a punishment into more of a privilege ("yay, I get to drive to work"). With v11 though, it's like someone moved all of my heater knobs into the glovebox in the middle of winter.

My opinion of the Model 3 has gone from very high to very low with a single software update. I genuinely feel like someone has ruined the vehicle.