Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] P3 Free Lifetime Unlimited Supercharging vs. $5,000 Refund

FUSC vs. $5,000 refund

• I am P3 owner, and I would choose PUP $5,000 refund over FUSC.

Votes: 161 44.1%
  • I am P3 owner, and I would choose FUSC over PUP $5,000 refund

Votes: 32 8.8%
  • I am not P3 owner, but if I were given a choice, I would choose PUP $5,000 refund over FUSC

Votes: 142 38.9%
  • I am not P3 owner, but if I were given a choice, I would choose FUSC over PUP $5000 refund

Votes: 30 8.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the big thread of how P3 price changed, I was surprised some would choose for Free Lifetime(non transferable) over the PUP $5000(+tax??) refund. My guess is that majority would favor the refund based on sheer number of comments in that thread. If you choose Free unlimited (lifetime) supercharging, can you share why you would favor that?

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Free Supercharging Because who knows how much electricity in California is going to cost in future. And Just as long I own I can pretty much go in any supercharging station and charge for free. That is huge It will work out much more than 5k over the years.

Is there reliable data on how CA's electricity rate has increased over last decade?

I know it probably went up but I don't think the increase has been big for people to feel.

Looking at the big thread of how P3 price changed, I was surprised some would choose for Free Lifetime(non transferable) over the PUP $5000(+tax??) refund. My guess is that majority would favor the refund based on sheer number of comments in that thread. If you choose Free unlimited (lifetime) supercharging, can you share why you would favor that?
I voted for my brother in law who just took delivery of his red p3d+ 2 days ago, (Mine is a RWD) I made him aware of his choice and told him that depending on his efficiency numbers it has to be like 60,000 to 70,000 miles of just supercharging to the break even point, he thinks he can get that back in 5 years hahaha, I don't get it or he doesn't get it is really what I think, I noticed that 16% of the votes line up with his view vs. 48% that would take the money, I cannot believe the perceived value is there for fully 1/4 of the people responding.

• Funny
Reactions: Maximilien
I voted for my brother in law who just took delivery of his red p3d+ 2 days ago, (Mine is a RWD) I made him aware of his choice and told him that depending on his efficiency numbers it has to be like 60,000 to 70,000 miles of just supercharging to the break even point, he thinks he can get that back in 5 years hahaha, I don't get it or he doesn't get it is really what I think, I noticed that 16% of the votes line up with his view vs. 48% that would take the money, I cannot believe the perceived value is there for fully 1/4 of the people responding.

LOL. There is a good chance that he will give up active supercharging way before 5 years he think he can break even.

I bet it won't even last a year.

LOL. There is a good chance that he will give up active supercharging way before 5 years he think he can break even.

I bet it won't even last a year.
I agree but he is stubborn and won't listen to me! I have almost 13k miles and only racked up a little over $200 in supercharger costs going on quite a few road trips so yeah, $5,400 roughly after considering sales tax while take a while!

I agree but he is stubborn and won't listen to me! I have almost 13k miles and only racked up a little over $200 in supercharger costs going on a quite a few road trips so yeah, $5,400 roughly after considering sales tax while take a while!

Actually, the fact that he doesn't listen to you and is stubborn, he may make his Supercharger usage well beyond the worth of $5K.

I guess he may just as well sell the house and call superchargers his new home.:D

Is there reliable data on how CA's electricity rate has increased over last decade?

I know it probably went up but I don't think the increase has been big for people to feel.

Yea this seems like a non-issue. Solar is already relatively cost effective with ROI's under 10 years and the technology continues to improve and get cheaper, i really don't see how energy rates could get much higher without driving an even stronger ROI for solar which would make things like SolarCity energy leases very easy to do.

Reactions: Maximilien
So far, 6 people are absolutely frieken awful at math. :)

Factoring in
1.) Economic profit (value - opp cost of time x money)
2.) Extra transit miles for wear and tear + depreciation
3.) unforeseen wait times + maintenance
4.) potential of getting murdered
What happens when there aren’t enough superchargers : teslamotors
5.) increasing competition for chargers with fixed charging stations..

You gotta be out of your mind to forgo 5000 over FUSC.

Factoring in

As for #4, that Santa Ana supercharger is horrible place in busy time. Parking is mixed with Main Place Shopping Mall. and there is no real line, and you can't easily tell who came first when blocked view. Tesla needs to build come kind of queue system either software or actual waiting spots.

This reminds me of Costco food court. Up until few years ago, each windows had a line. What happened is that when one employee opens a line, then whole bunch of people from the back rush to the new line. No joke, I sometimes saw how people bicker and fight over the lines for mere $1.50 hotdogs. Thank goodness, Costco now has a zig zag line for first come first serve.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing
Free Supercharging Because who knows how much electricity in California is going to cost in future. And Just as long I own I can pretty much go in any supercharging station and charge for free. That is huge It will work out much more than 5k over the years.

the 5k + tax isnt just gonna sit around, you should invest it. given how long it will take people to accumulate 100k miles+ supercharging you will probably double to tripple that money over the lifespan of the car.

Factoring in

I'm one of those people freken awful at math! :D

1) I continue my usual work while charging during my lunch breaks, so not much time is wasted there.
2) My local supercharger is next to where I usually spend lunch at anyway, so basically zero extra travel.
3) Can't speak much for maintenance, but I'm used to the usual 30+ min wait times... in addition to the 1+ hour actual charging times.
4) Joke's on them, I'm already dead inside! :p
5) That'd be nice, as long as they don't take multiple hours.

I've spent almost $1k in roughly half a year in just supercharging costs alone. I cannot charge at home as all quotes for installing a plug for my spot in my apartment's parking have been astronomically high, and I've been house shopping for a while now so I don't see it being worth spending so much on. My employer is also unwilling to install a plug in my parking space.

Assuming I still haven't found a place to charge at home, I would easily end up spending those $5k on supercharging alone in 2 years from now, thus saving me money after that. Earlier if supercharging costs increase again. Kinda makes me wish I had gone for the performance Model 3, rather than my RWD. :)