Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Tesla US EV Federal Tax Credit ends Q1 or Q2 ???

Will the US EV Federal Tax Credit reach it's 200,000 phaseout milestone in Q1 or Q2 2018?

• Q1 2018

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Q2 2018

Votes: 87 91.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Tesla's poor production ramp-up (and nonexistent start date for the standard model, which is what I want), it's clear to me now that the company is literally taking $7,500 out of my pocket and putting it into the pocket of someone wealthier who can afford $54K plus tax for his/her Model 3. Why? The tax credit phase-out, of course. Even in the best case scenario (Tesla delays even more and doesn't reach the 200K sales point until Q3, let's say), the only Tesla buyers who will get the credit are those who get a car delivered in 2018. Unless I'm missing something, that means all of the standard model buyers will be paying at least $3,250 more than they should have, and probably the whole $7,500 for most people on the list.
I'm not sure how Tesla justifies this pretty obvious marketing bait-and-switch. First this is a $35K car for the average Joe Lithium, and we are going to get $7,500 taken off the top. That was March 2016, when I thought getting to a dealership at the crack of dawn on March 31st actually mattered. More than two years later, I am estimating that I have another year to go to see a car in my driveway. It's not that I'm sorry Tesla is doing so well and selling a lot of cars... good for them, and good for EVs in general. But by deliberately not producing the standard model, they are allowing others to jump the line and take a credit before they are entitled to it.
I never thought I would consider canceling and getting the 150 mile-range Leaf, but why shouldn't I if sitting around is going to cost me thousands of dollars?
I know... I should direct my anger at a short-sighted Congress and lackluster lobbying by ambivalent car makers who would rather go the compliance car route than win the EV market. But it was Tesla, and Tesla alone, that made the decision to put standard model buyers second, even when they've shown nothing but loyalty.
JG

If you can't afford anything more than the Model 3 SR, you may not make enough to get the full benefit of the $7500 tax credit. It only applies to federal taxes owed for the year you buy the car. If you don't owe that much in taxes, you lose the residual. Tesla is delaying the roll out of the cheapest version because more people who will be buying the cheapest version will still have all or most of their taxes eliminated by the $3250 credit.

Tesla opens Model 3 configurator to more reservation holders in Canada

Tesla could potentially change its delivery strategy over the next months to focus more on Canadian deliveries and push U.S. deliveries to the next quarter in order to deliver its 200,000th car in the US in Q3 and extend the phase-out of the $7,500 federal tax credit for its customers. It’s unlikely to happen in the next few weeks since Tesla just sent out another batch of invites in the U.S. earlier this week.

Unfortunately, Tesla is not commenting on the situation. Electrek estimates that Tesla would hit the 200,000th U.S. delivery mark in Q2 if deliveries are not optimized for the federal tax credit extension. But a focus on Canadian deliveries to avoid that could also help some Canadian buyers avoid losing their own government incentives.

So, if when I configured and ordered, the financial breakdown shows $7500 federal tax credit, does that mean I will get it, or is it dependent on the delivery date? In other words, is it based on the order, or delivery? And does the fact that Tesla listed the $7500 credit mean that I will for sure get it?

So, if when I configured and ordered, the financial breakdown shows $7500 federal tax credit, does that mean I will get it, or is it dependent on the delivery date? In other words, is it based on the order, or delivery? And does the fact that Tesla listed the $7500 credit mean that I will for sure get it?

Depends on when it is titled/placed in service (delivery date). $7,500 is good through at least September (possibly December if they delay the 200kth US sale till July). So if you get the car before October, you are definitely covered.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The federal tax credit is based on the delivery date and is not guaranteed by Tesla :cool:

According to Inside EVs, Tesla has sold 185,601 cars in the US under the tax credit program. 14,399 to go. There are 61 days left in the quarter, if they can average less than 236 cars a day sold for the rest of the quarter they will just barely squeak into Q3.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The federal tax credit is based on the delivery date and is not guaranteed by Tesla :cool:

The timing of the 200,000 threshold is based on the sale of the vehicle.

The right to claim and the amount of tax credit you can claim is based on the date on which you acquired the vehicle, where acquired means that title has passed to you under your state law. That's likely to mean that it's based on the date the title was issued. (IANAL). So, I shouldn't want to take delivery just before the end of a quarter after which it will drop, because there will be a lag between delivery and the title being issued.

The year for which you claim the tax credit is based on putting the car into service (i.e. you start driving it).

I think it's worth noting that InsideEVs estimated flat deliveries of the Model 3s in April. Was a short month for selling days, but still, it increases the chances for the 200,000 to be delayed until July.