Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Ultrawhite - modern or cheap looking?

What do you think about the look/feel of the ultra white 'vegan leather' seat?

• Ultra white "vegan leather" looks very modern and cool

Votes: 84 80.8%
  • Nothing against the material, but the color itself just isn't for me

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • I think it looks "cheap". Even if it was offered in other colors, I'd stick to leather

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely to order a new S next week before they discontinue the 60.

I had totally decided to go with Pearl White with the Ultra white interior. White on white with the all-glass roof.

(nothing against pano but I never open sunroofs, have never used a roof rack in my life...and my current car has XM radio but I cancelled the subscription 2 years back and can't say I miss it).

Likely going with the carbon fiber trim. My thought is that this combination will look very modern/futuristic.

Then...I took my wife to see the Ultra White interior...and she hates it! :eek:

She thinks it looks "cheap" and she says it reminds her of "pleather", popular in the 80s. I told her it wasn't pleather, it was "vegan leather" ;)

Color is up to me, but she has really been trying to talk me out of the Ultra White in favor of anything else. While I have nothing against the tan or black leather, I am still drawn to the Ultra White. (If they still had the grey leather, I might very well get that though).

But my wife got me thinking...do other people who see and feel the "vegan leather" interior ever think this it "looks cheap"? Or is my wife in the very small minority on this? I thought I'd do a poll as well as get your guy's input - both from enthusiasts here who have seen the Ultra White in person as well as any owners of Ultra White who can give insight into any feedback (pro or con) they have received from friends and family regarding the interior.

Lots of money for the car, and while I am of course inclined to get what I like, I am also thinking about future (way down the line, likely) resale value and how the Ultra White may or may not influence overall value based on aesthetic preferences by others (both the material as well as the super bright white color).

Thanks for any feedback

• Informative
Reactions: Robbit
Compared to the upgraded seats in our VIN 3xxx S P85, the new Ultra White seats on our S 100D are an improvement. The new seats are more comfortable - and the ultra white is pretty striking with the carbon fiber trim.

The claims of durability and stain resistance with the white seats helped us decide to pick them for our new Model S.

Try to look at several Model S cars with the white seats and the other leather options - and pick what works best for you.

The gray seats in our S P85 still look great, though Tesla is no longer offering gray.

It's a very modern white color...ultra-white...unlike your father's off-white leather sectional. Personally I think that Tesla's materials suppliers are a notch lower than other luxury car makers...the black leather in my 2012 fared pretty well with car, but with lots of sagging and easy scuffs and scratches. The ultra-white material is very supple and feels good to sit on. To me it "feels" more durable than the leather offerings somehow. Plenty of longer/term owners vouching for the easy cleaning and non-staining nature of it. But the perforated white is probably less than ideal

I've heard the problem with the ultra white is not the materials itself but rather the stitching. Whatever you try to wipe off will come off without issues from the "leather" but the white stitching on the other hand will pick everything up so you end up with some very noticeable dark spots throughout the stitching... just what I've heard. I have the discontinued gray leather in mine and it gets dirty fast.

I have the Ultra-White Vegan Leather seats in my P100D. I love it. It feels like the softest leather I've ever encountered. The color is striking. It's cooler than black leather seats would be. In general, it's easy to keep clean (though I have been noticing some transfer of color from my jeans to the seats that has required a bit of work to keep clean). Best of all, no animals lost their lives for the sake of my seat. I think your wife is wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xolt and CameronB
Interesting about the stitching. But I guess that makes sense since it's probably regular automotive thread which can be stained. Good to know but I don't typically eat in my cars nor have or transport small children - so I think blue jean transfer/staining would be my only regular issue. Hopefully wouldn't get on the stitching too much. But, yeah, good to know. Thanks.

I usually hate white interiors but I think it looks nice and I almost got it when I ordered my 90D. I only sat in the white seats once but they didn't look or feel cheap to me. Curious if they'll really hold up over 5 years.

I'm thinking of getting the same Pearl White/Ultra White/Carbon Fiber/All Glass Roof config before Sunday's deadline. Wasn't 100% sure on the white seats but saw them in person yesterday while doing a test drive and they looked great.

Only issue is that since they are lighter, the reflection on the glass roof is going to be more noticeable. Might look into some kind of anti-glare solution for the roof should it become an issue down the line.

Only issue is that since they are lighter, the reflection on the glass roof is going to be more noticeable. Might look into some kind of anti-glare solution for the roof should it become an issue down the line.

Yeah, I thought of that too. Unfortunately the Tesla stores I have been too haven't had that exact combination so I've seen the Ultra White in one car with a Pano roof (inside the showroom). Then I saw the reflections of the all glass roof in another MS (this one outside in the pretty bright sun). The car I sat in with the all glass roof did have a lot of glare...and that was with a black leather interior! So, yeah, I can imagine that there will be even more glare with the Ultra White/all glass roof combo. So may be looking for an anti-glare solution too at some point. Though from my experience seemed to be more of an issue from the back seat (passengers) than from the driver's perspective.

Also a pearl white with ultra white interior. Instead of carbon fiber trim I got the figured ash, looks like it isn't an option now:
ultra white dash.png

The back seats are a little intimidating...

ultra white backseat.png

Pick up a pack of no lotion/no scent baby wipes to keep in the car, does a great job keeping the seats clean, even wipes off blue stains from jeans. I give them a quick wipe down on the weekends or if I see a mark during the week.

Also a pearl white with ultra white interior. Instead of carbon fiber trim I got the figured ash, looks like it isn't an option now:
View attachment 222339

The back seats are a little intimidating...

View attachment 222340

Pick up a pack of no lotion/no scent baby wipes to
keep in the car, does a great job keeping the seats clean, even wipes off blue stains from jeans. I give them a quick wipe down on the weekends or if I see a mark during the week.

Thanks for the photos. Looks great. I have always had wood on my BMWs and liked it, but decided to switch it up and go "all modern" with the carbon fiber this time. But I think the wood choices are nice too. Can't go wrong.

I have the PW/PUP/UW combo, with the standard black ash trim and sunroof. The seats are ventilated and come with dark brown(?) piping.

Looks fantastic, no regrets.

If I had to find a negative it would be that IMO the extra "leather" on/around the passenger storage and behind the steering wheel (part of the PUP) are a bit excessive in the MS. Works on the MX but not on the MS.

Last edited:
I ordered my 60D in pearl white/ultra white/glass roof, but went with the dark ash wood trim. Since the carbon fiber trim is matte, I chose the glossy dark ash to break up the matte look inside the car a bit. Plus I think the white grain in the dark ash trim really pulls the two-tone interior together.

I don't think the ultra white looks cheap at all, but I did have to see it in person at the local gallery to be sure.

Best of luck!

Then...I took my wife to see the Ultra White interior...and she hates it!

Don't decide yet.

In situations like this both of you should test drive / hire / borrow. If necessary, repeat. And it should be ladies first.

Ideally each of you should do this independently so that you each don't feel the presence of the other "willing" a certain outcome, or that this one option dominates all other considerations.

And at the end of the day "what works" matters more than "what's best".

No-one who has seen our ultra white (perf'd) has said "man, that looks cheap"
The reaction is almost always identical: "Wow, look at those seats, they look amazing. And how are they so soft!?" followed by "are they impossible to keep clean?" about a minute later.

If your wife truly hates the color scheme and feel of the material, I think you don't need a poll to decide.
IMHO ...

Hahah. Yeah, happy wife, happy life and all. She doesn't hate the feel of it though. She actually said it was soft and sitting in it during the test drive was quite comfortable. For her it is more that the white is really white (turns out, ultra white was an accurate name!) and that it looks to her like "pleather" which she equates to cheap. For her only leather =luxury and/or classy it seems.

Hahah. Yeah, happy wife, happy life and all. She doesn't hate the feel of it though. She actually said it was soft and sitting in it during the test drive was quite comfortable. For her it is more that the white is really white (turns out, ultra white was an accurate name!) and that it looks to her like "pleather" which she equates to cheap. For her only leather =luxury and/or classy it seems.

So...whose car is it? If it is yours (or you will be the primary driver), then I think you should get what makes you happy.

As for your wife's opinion that only leather seats are luxurious, I beg to differ. After 25 years of driving cars with leather seats, I bought a Fisker Karma four years ago and sprang for their vegan interior, a textile based Alcantara Ultrasuede. That interior woke me up from this notion that leather seats are luxurious. Leather is definitely more durable (though my Karma interior still looks great). And I believe the auto industry has used this durability to convince consumers that leather = luxury. And that allows them to make more money selling people on that 'luxury'. But leather seats don't feel luxurious compared to my Karma's vegan interior which feels FAR more plush, is softer and is more comfortable in terms of temperature and just the way the material feels. I definitely prefer the Karma's Alcantara ultrasuede to leather.

And, sorry, but...I think your wife is dead wrong. The Ultra-White seats are showstoppers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xolt