Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I got bad news about this vibrating issue. I don't know if I have overread this thread but... I think this issue got a wider speed window. I was able to notice it an hour ago as low at 38mph. Also, I think I got some vibrations at high speed, like 70ish...

I hope it's related to tires and 45F is way too cold for MPS4S. Need to install my winter Alpins with 19" wheels already. Or maybe I just did not drive the car for 4 days and forgot already how it feels. IDK.
I tend to agree. Plus my car is really loud on concrete/used asphalt now - doing my head in, even with music on!, - the tire drone is so much worse than it was. At least, I assume it's the tires as new asphalt the tires are quiet over. I hope it's just the cold weather... You noticed anything like this at all? I'd love to compare cars if you wouldn't mind!

Reactions: impastu
I think I got bad news about this vibrating issue. I don't know if I have overread this thread but... I think this issue got a wider speed window. I was able to notice it an hour ago as low at 38mph. Also, I think I got some vibrations at high speed, like 70ish...

I hope it's related to tires and 45F is way too cold for MPS4S. Need to install my winter Alpins with 19" wheels already. Or maybe I just did not drive the car for 4 days and forgot already how it feels. IDK.
Well, I have comfy and quiet all season Contis, so that’s not my root cause, @Mandarin . When is your car scheduled to go in? I kept checking openings, via the app, and was able to find a Monday morning opening, at Bellevue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boza and impastu
The MPS4S will get louder as they get colder. Mine changed considerably based on the tarmac.

I have the Pilot 4 A/S and they are about the same now that it is getting colder.

I had the PS4S on my Model 3 Performance and never noticed any change in sound for 2.5 years of driving them. The PS4S on the Plaid, though, - it's doing my head in depending on the road surface. I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with it. It's seriously louder than my music at volume level 6.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I had the PS4S on my Model 3 Performance and never noticed any change in sound for 2.5 years of driving them. The PS4S on the Plaid, though, - it's doing my head in depending on the road surface. I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with it. It's seriously louder than my music at volume level 6.

The OEM PS4S were not bad for me. Have you played with different PSI? That will change the sound and ride.

The OEM PS4S were not bad for me. Have you played with different PSI? That will change the sound and ride.

I have them at 41 cold. They were at 39 psi when I got the car. Not sure if that played into this, but heck... I ran my Model 3 PS4S at 42 cold, always, too. Not sure why these would behave any differently than the Model 3, but I suppose these are wider/different sidewall etc (thus the bad wheel hop at full lock in the cold when doing parking/maneuvering etc - something I never had on the Model 3).

I tend to agree. Plus my car is really loud on concrete/used asphalt now - doing my head in, even with music on!, - the tire drone is so much worse than it was. At least, I assume it's the tires as new asphalt the tires are quiet over. I hope it's just the cold weather... You noticed anything like this at all? I'd love to compare cars if you wouldn't mind!
Yeah, today probably was the coldest day I have driven in Plaid, 45F was on the cluster, and on roads where I drive usually I have never experienced that noise level inside...

Yeah, today probably was the coldest day I have driven in Plaid, 45F was on the cluster, and on roads where I drive usually I have never experienced that noise level inside...

Ahhh English is tricky to understand on the Internet! Are you saying you that you have never experienced that noise level (that I'm referring to), or are you saying until now you'd never experienced that noise level until the ambient temps dropped? Just wanting clarification, hah!

Well, I have comfy and quiet all season Contis, so that’s not my root cause, @Mandarin . When is your car scheduled to go in? I kept checking openings, via the app, and was able to find a Monday morning opening, at Bellevue.
Oh, I scheduled on Dec 6th, I tried to move the Appointment as far as possible cause I don't want to deal with Service Center at all.

Last week I've been calling them 3 days in a row, left a voice mail, sent an email asking them to sell me TPMS for 2nd set of wheels no one came back in a week. I went in person to Bellevue SC on Friday and spent there 65 minutes trying to buy 4 TPMS :D

The customer service level we all have deserved after spending $150+ Gs on those cars...

Ahhh English is tricky to understand on the Internet! Are you saying you that you have never experienced that noise level (that I'm referring to), or are you saying until now you'd never experienced that noise level until the ambient temps dropped? Just wanting clarification, hah!
"saying until now you'd never experienced that noise level until the ambient temps dropped?" - this! AKA why so loud? :rolleyes:

I'm feeling some vibration (consistently) when I turn the yoke all the way to the right and at crawling speeds (like pulling out of a driveway). I just picked it up a few days ago and taking it in tomorrow to have them take a look.
Just returned from Service. They mentioned that the vibration that i'm feeling is due to the front tire stock tire size on the Plaid. He says its normal on the Plaid. I've had other cars, some with wider tires up front and I've never experienced this.

Just to be clear, the vibration I feel is only when I turn the yoke to the right or left fully at crawl speeds. The vibration thats being mentioned here in this thread, is not something i'm experiencing.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Just returned from Service. They mentioned that the vibration that i'm feeling is due to the front tire stock tire size on the Plaid. He says its normal on the Plaid. I've had other cars, some with wider tires up front and I've never experienced this.

Just to be clear, the vibration I feel is only when I turn the yoke to the right or left fully at crawl speeds. The vibration thats being mentioned here in this thread, is not something i'm experiencing.

Yeah, I get that too and I had it on my older model S as well. It feels like the tires scrubbing on the ground when turning at extreme angles. I think it is worse when the suspension is in the very high setting, getting in and out of my garage.

I think the driveshaft vibration mentioned here is different. I have not experienced that on my plaid, manufactured 10/20/21.

Reactions: jebinc and impastu

I continue to believe that this is due to a tight front differential. Have no idea if it can be software modified over time, but probably way down on the list of priorities for engineering team.

I’ve felt the vibration since day 1 (10/21 MFG, vin in 452 range). It’s just a slight pedal vibration under light to moderate accel between ~38mph-45mph. It’s so light you would easily dismiss it as a road surface if you weren’t paying attention, but it is on every road.

It feels like some sort of resonance to me, perhaps in the front motor or CVs.

Either way it doesn’t bother me and I wrote it off as a behavioral characteristic of the car. Unless it gets worse or there is a recall I don’t plan on doing anything about it.

I’ve felt the vibration since day 1 (10/21 MFG, vin in 452 range). It’s just a slight pedal vibration under light to moderate accel between ~38mph-45mph. It’s so light you would easily dismiss it as a road surface if you weren’t paying attention, but it is on every road.

It feels like some sort of resonance to me, perhaps in the front motor or CVs.

Either way it doesn’t bother me and I wrote it off as a behavioral characteristic of the car. Unless it gets worse or there is a recall I don’t plan on doing anything about it.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but now I have really zeroed in on noticing it, so I wish it weren't there.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but now I have really zeroed in on noticing it, so I wish it weren't there.

That's the issue for me as well; once you know it's there, you can't unnotice it. Takes away from enjoying the ride to its fullest.

I'm taking a different approach to the problem, that being one of bringing it back to the SC after every failed repair attempt. Only this way (if we report the issue) will/may Telsa address the problem. Additionally, it establishes a running record of failed repair attempts that could be later used to either exercise one's rights under your states "Lemon" law, or to justify a Tesla buy-back request. Time will tell.