Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@WilliamG I’m more hopeful, after reading @Rbats two week after action report earlier.
It’s also possible new half shafts do fix it until they also fail a thousand or two thousand miles later…

I really would like to know if these half shafts are a newer revision than what we had installed from the factory. If they are not, I have no interest in having mine replaced as they will likely fail again.

Reactions: Boza and impastu
It’s also possible new half shafts do fix it until they also fail a thousand or two thousand miles later…

I really would like to know if these half shafts are a newer revision than what we had installed from the factory. If they are not, I have no interest in having mine replaced as they will likely fail again.
@WilliamG If it’s dry under your car, jack it up and take a look at the label on the shaft. Let us all know if the P/N is different than what @Rbats and I had installed. Even if it’s the same part number, it could be a good design but a bad bunch of shafts that made it into some cars (i.e., thus giving us the shaft!). There are a few here with 12,000 miles and have no issues. They either have Gen 2 shafts, or it’s a good set of shafts with no “manufacturing defect”. May not be a “design defect,” and if so, the part numbers may be the same on all refreshed S cars, including mine now.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and impastu
@WilliamG If it’s dry under your car, jack it up and take a look at the label on the shaft. Let us all know if the P/N is different than what @Rbats and I had installed. Even if it’s the same part number, it could be a good design but a bad bunch of shafts that made it into some cars (i.e., thus giving us the shaft!). There are a few here with 12,000 miles and have no issues. They either have Gen 2 shafts, or it’s a good set of shafts with no “manufacturing defect”. May not be a “design defect,” and if so, the part numbers may be the same on all refreshed S cars, including mine now.
No jack. Happy to compare to yours when we next get together. Not convinced about the bad batch argument, mind. This may just be a part that prematurely fails.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and impastu
No jack. Happy to compare to yours when we next get together. Not convinced about the bad batch argument, mine. This may just be a part that prematurely fails.
One of the following three scenarios

A) Design defect/infant mortality, new part number released (Gen 2),
B) Good design, but manufacturing defect, or
C) Design defect no new part number yet - more will fail in due time

In the meantime, I will hope to enjoy at least 2200 miles more of vibration free driving.

@WilliamG

According to this thread, when slightly pressing the accelerator while at speeds between approximately 35-70 MPH, there appears to be a mild vibration felt in the front of the car. Apparently can be felt in one or more places, including the yoke, pedal, and center console. Vibration seems to be strongest when the suspension is in its lowest drive height. Also, the vibration possibly is becoming more pronounced as more miles are put on the car.

According to @smf72 who brought in his car to service the issue, Tesla says the issue impacts most Plaid and LR, and Tesla engineering hasn't been able to identify a solution. That said, trying to determine how widespread the issue is via an unscientific poll of refresh owners here on TMC.
Experiencing the same thing since day one. Notice it the most when using about 1/8th at accelerator 68 mph. Sounds like a groan and difficult to tell if it’s from the front or rear. Have second service appointment for it coming up the first time they said it was normal. I’ve had 3 and Y and neither ever had a sound, vibration like this. It’s not normal. Tesla service also said it could be the tires, which makes no sense because it only happens when accelerating and at a specific amount, accelerate harder and it disappears. I could really notice it while climbing a long hill on the highway at 70mph, since the accelerator had to be pressed a little the whole time the vibration and sound continued the entire drive up the hill. Hope to hear of a solution

This issue is something that can be easily seen as rough pavement and I thought that for the first 100 miles or so. I thought the wider tires were picking up more road imperfections, but then I looked it up and there were plenty of threads about it here. My driver side mirror also vibrates more than it should.. Not a big deal but one of the pitfalls of being an early adopter.
Yes, thought it was me. The driver's side mirror vibrates a lot.

Reactions: impastu