Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The startup vibration is the one that only exists for the first few minutes of the drive and usually becomes noticeable around 33mph in my case.
Yes, I have that vibration. I thought you meant some vibration when not accelerating, since you had said “The start up vibration for example occurs without any acceleration“. That startup vibration is still under load, and requires throttle input in my testing. Also, I don’t believe this Service Bulletin is related to it specifically, because that vibration does not affect 2021 Plaids, only 2022 and 2023 models. The TSB mentions 2021 models, too…

I think that startup vibration is a cousin of the ~40-50 vibration, as they feel very similar (the startup vibration is a more aggressive version of the persistent 40-50 one).

Time will tell. It may address this vibration and the 40-50mph vibration, or just the latter, or just the former (and the TSB mentions the 2021 model then maybe by mistake). Until someone reliable (e.g. me! 😂) gets it, we won’t know. I suspect it may solve both, or - at least I hope so. If it has to solve only one, then let it be the persistent 40-50 one. The startup one is so fleeting as to not be a big deal in the grand scheme of driving.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Well, I've just joined the vibe club. '22 MS with 9.1k miles.

Subtle, but undeniable vibration between 38-42mph under moderate acceleration impulse (technical term is jerk for a sudden increase in acceleration rate IIRC)

Slightly less, but still noticeable with suspension in low. Can't speak for other settings, or power modes other than chill.

No vibes under smooth acceleration.

Will be changing my vote accordingly.

Yes, I was told me this was going to happen.

Subtle, but undeniable vibration between 38-42mph under moderate acceleration impulse (technical term is jerk for a sudden increase in acceleration rate IIRC)

Slightly less, but still noticeable with suspension in low. Can't speak for other settings, or power modes other than chill.

Welcome to the club, buddy! It only gets worse! 😅

At least there’s potential hope on the horizon. Bring on the update!

Welcome. “Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends…
Step inside, step inside….”

Reactions: SnowFlyer
Welcome. “Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends…
Step inside, step inside….”

No thanks...I already have free tickets to the Sh!t/ freak shows of Service and Elon.

I prefer to think of it as a Free subscription to FSV, Fully Self Vibrating. Soon, as it gets more mature, I'll always be warned when I below through the speed limit in a school zone.

Last edited:
I think that startup vibration is a cousin of the ~40-50 vibration, as they feel very similar (the startup vibration is a more aggressive version of the persistent 40-50 one).
By 'startup vibration' are you referring to the AC compressor? It has a vibration when running at higher speeds during startup. These are usually dampened but they can resonate/amplify the front DU vibration when both are occurring simultaneously.

No vibration even on the first drive of the day? The kind that disappears in a minute or two that feels like you're driving on a cobblestone street?

At 9.2 k miles, mine is very minor and only present when 1/4 or more accelerator is used.

This is certain to change in a non linear fashion.

Expecting to shake like a mofo at before the warranty is up.

Planting seeds now for a used Lightning or Rivian in 3 years.

At 9.2 k miles, mine is very minor and only present when 1/4 or more accelerator is used.

Wouldnt touch the lightning. Thing is going to be very outdated both tech, hardware and quality related

Love my Rivian!

70240893242__A1142E02-FA23-4B3A-8DAC-7AA82D84A27D.jpeg

That's pretty surprising. I have a "refresh" model.
Of the current refresh models, for some reason the '21 refresh is the only year that doesn't have the startup vibration that lasts only a few mins around 25-40mph (ish). Both the '22 and '23 have this. Probably '24 when it arrives in the coming weeks, unless they come with the TSB already applied...

Reactions: jm404 and jebinc