Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Will you buy?

Will you buy the Cybertruck?

• Yes, planned on it before I saw it.

• Yes, now that I have seen it.

• Still deciding.

• No, changed my mind when I saw it.

• No, never planned on it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will buy, but the first thing I will do is to wrap it.

Lamborghini and Jeep Wrangler pull-off angular design lines by offering colorful paints.

In fact, if I were Tesla, I would skip the traditional paint job on this Cybertruck, and offer only wraps with different colors (or even funky graphics.) When the wrap is scratched (it's a truck after all) it can be replaced easily and inexpensively.

Just a thought.

Wrap with White digital camo that’s the first thing in my mind. I can see how this will becomes police magnet

• Love
Reactions: Taoweiji
I understand that the steel is hard to work with (ie. it would get expensive to mold into a more...pleasing design, however, how does this thing even approach to compete with the likes of what's out there?! There's no extended bed, there's no space to put racks (and there probably won't be a market for adding them on). How does this work for those on the farm, in construction, moving jobsites, hauling loads in the bed? Tesla clearly did not talk with anyone before putting this to paper. There's a whole lot they could have done to make it appealing - modular design, add in workspace/desk, plug connections, added storage. DOA in terms of being a true workhorse. This presentation was as bad as the Faraday Future one.

I suppose I'd still take it over a Rivian, so at this point you can say I am still deciding.

Would you really though? The Rivian looks amazing and is exactly what I would like a electric truck to look like.

The Tesla looks like a door wedge weird mobile! I get that its supposed to be all futuristic but its just love it or hate it territory, not something I desire at all.

Design is new and different.
My first thought was wtf. By the end I love it. Put down a deposit and my wife was giving me a hard time because the Tesla site kept crashing while I got a reservation.
I thought they would do nore of a Mars rover design. This is actually close to a pencil drawing I saw months ago.
It’s almost a copy of an existing EV.
72C86440-0FED-4A3E-B481-D3F1CE5A1C09.png

Attachments

• EBCFBD24-CB1E-4A55-B514-DF0A7D25BF0A.jpeg
    EBCFBD24-CB1E-4A55-B514-DF0A7D25BF0A.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 45
It is ugly AND I will buy it. Tri-motor reservation placed.

I don't think Tesla intended to make it as ugly as it is, but its ugliness does call us out. For years, people have been complaining that trucks have become parking lot princesses - loaded with all of the amenities and looks suited for a person who doesn't expect to actually use their truck for "truck stuff."

While stressing that this was likely not the intended effect of the reveal, the Cybertruck kind of says "you want utility? Here 's a triangle with four wheels that starts at a lower price than any other electric truck, has better range, the support of a nationwide supercharger network, a respectable stock clearance, a 220v charger in the bed, and an integrated tailgate / bed ramp. Your move, 'tough truck guy.'"

The design is not exceptionally pretty, but it’s about function, and ease of manufacture, the benefit there of lowering the price.

I also worry about front bed access from the sides, but at least it’s a usable size bed, unlike the Ridgeline type design so many seem to prefer, or the Rivian, which I found kind of cartoony looking.

The full ramp should help access, at least you can walk up into the bed to get stuff out, instead of hopping up and down from the bed.

I understand the triangle design purpose is to be both stronger and more aerodynamic, truck beds are notoriously bad at creating drag, and drag is far more a concern for EV’s than it is for ICE vehicles.

It’s more what an electric usable work truck should be over the design of current ICE trucks, anyway. An EV that looks more like an ICE truck is like when cars looked more like horse drawn carriages, different needs require different designs, but it’s hard to move people past what they are familiar with.

Could someone come up with a better looking one that still filled the needs of EV truck design, of course, but then the price would go up and then people would complain about that.

I ordered the tri-motor. I expect the design will change over the next several years.