Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Would you buy an early production Model 3?

Would you want an early production Model 3 if you could get one?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla informed you that you could be the first one on your block with the newest Tesla and would likely qualify for all of the tax credits, would you be willing to take on the risks of having to deal with early design and production defects?

Before you answer, think about this:

Even the most experienced auto manufactures run into design and manufacturing problems when they introduce major new platforms…and production lines. Many experienced buyers “wait until the second year” so that early design bugs can be discovered and hopefully fixed. And they wait until there are multiple product reviews available.

Tesla is not a well seasoned manufacturer. And their track record for new platforms may be impressive for a new manufacturer, but is not exactly stellar. However, they do roll design fixes into production much faster than traditional manufacturers and have had an excellent record for fixing design and manufacturing flaws (when possible) in customer vehicles.

Further issues to consider:

1. Challenging financial circumstances may force the Model 3 into production before it’s fully baked.
2. Initial orders may require a long list of expensive options.
3. Due to supplier or certification issues, some desirable options (and features) may not be available on early orders.

So, would you really want an early production Model 3 if you could get one?

Let the employees build their Model 3's first, then let the early eager buyers check the quality.

After the December delivery of my teenage VIN Model X, I have learned my lesson. While the drive and build quality were excellent from day one, it's the new seal attachments that cause concern. Model S uses a pin and hole attachment, while Model X uses a double stick tape like method. Hopefully Tesla will continue the excellence of Model S seal attachment in the design of Model 3.

There is nothing like having vehicles out in the field for 6 months to a year for the engineers to develop solutions. Tesla has retrofitted our vehicles and made them better than when they were new, but I am willing to wait longer next time.

If Tesla informed you that you could be the first one on your block with the newest Tesla and would likely qualify for all of the tax credits, would you be willing to take on the risks of having to deal with early design and production defects?

Before you answer, think about this:

Even the most experienced auto manufactures run into design and manufacturing problems when they introduce major new platforms…and production lines. Many experienced buyers “wait until the second year” so that early design bugs can be discovered and hopefully fixed. And they wait until there are multiple product reviews available.

Tesla is not a well seasoned manufacturer. And their track record for new platforms may be impressive for a new manufacturer, but is not exactly stellar. However, they do roll design fixes into production much faster than traditional manufacturers and have had an excellent record for fixing design and manufacturing flaws (when possible) in customer vehicles.

Further issues to consider:

1. Challenging financial circumstances may force the Model 3 into production before it’s fully baked.
2. Initial orders may require a long list of expensive options.
3. Due to supplier or certification issues, some desirable options (and features) may not be available on early orders.

So, would you really want an early production Model 3 if you could get one?
Sounds like you have concerns and you want others to either counter or confirm these for you so that you'll feel better about reserving one anyway or justifying your decision not to reserve one?

Last edited:
There will be problems, I don't have a service center nearby, I need a car, and I'll be buying up to get it.

I could keep another car around, but the service center issue will be the bigger problem. If I were closer to a service center, and have a back-up car, then I'd be more comfortable getting an early model.

I would take one! If I take an earlier production with more options means I get tax credit which is a big chunk of cash for paying those options. I will get the car earlier and start my country road trip earlier. Its like a win win win, and YOLO.

There will be problems, I don't have a service center nearby, I need a car, and I'll be buying up to get it.

I could keep another car around, but the service center issue will be the bigger problem. If I were closer to a service center, and have a back-up car, then I'd be more comfortable getting an early model.

See, it's personal choice. My first S was VIN 00064. The factory was close, only 105 miles away and there were no service centers or superchargers. Anywhere. They usually took care of me right away and had me out of there before supper. I was known, felt special (not *that* way) and I would do it again. I did not want to "wait" another 6 months to a year for "perfection" because pretty good was simply amazing.

Absolutely*. I want my Model 3 as soon as possible!

* I fully expect that with the ramp of the Model 3 being so quick, that even employees in California will be several thousand cars before I can get mine. I don't want VIN < 100. Other than that, I'm good with VIN 3000 or whatever. I'm a little nervous, but I have Model X VIN 6714, and it's just fine. The Model 3 will be my personal car, not the family car, which makes it much easier logistically to go without if it needs to go in for service or something. I could also probably keep my 12+ year old (at that point) current vehicle for a few months without much financial pressure. There could also be factors that push me back further than right after employee cars (not ready financially to buy what I want; Tesla changing priorities so that I don't get "owner" priority, since I reserved our Model X after reserving a Model 3; California owner deliveries before Utah owner deliveries; not buying a fully optioned car). If that happens, I'll be okay too. But I won't be artificially delaying my order for reasons I'm in control of.

Last edited:
This is a wish poll since we all know there won't be an option like this from Tesla.

I would be lucky to get my Model 3 by Q1 of 2018.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It appears that Tesla is being a lot more aggressive than what is being expected. If the new freemont factory is done by the Fall of next year... then Tesla might be looking at 20K cars per month.

Reactions: MissAutobahn
For me, I realize that by buying early I take the risk of hitting production issues. As long as they get addressed, I'll roll with the punches. I'm also a test engineer by trade, so it's imbued me with a certain level of patience for development woes. :)

With Tesla and SpaceX employees along with existing owners already in front of me the poll doesn't really matter to me.
I don't believe there will be nearly as many issues with the Model 3 that we saw with the X.
My general feeling is I'd like to see a few thousand built first. No test drive needed.

Would you say 'Absolutely' if the Model 3 were to be your primary mode of transportation?
Absolutely.

Looking forward to my Model 3 as soon as Tesla meets their promise of Tesla and Space X employee reservation holders getting the first ones. Together those two companies employ about 20,000 people, and probably well over half of them can afford a $35K car. In my conversations with Service Center employees, many of them have reservations. I will be surprised if there are not at least 6,000 employee reservations.

The point of that reservation holder analysis is that those with early reservations are not going to get their cars until Tesla has built thousands of them. And this poll really doesn't mean anything. No one outside of Tesla and SpaceX is going to get an "early production" Model 3.