Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor initial experience with my Tesla Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is this the worst part? They diagnosed and found the problem. Can't imagine why you'd be upset at getting an entire new assembly, especially if it's unfixable. Inconvenient, sure, but they're replacing the defective part.

Honestly, this type of comment doesn't help at all here. You have a rattle (still needs to be diagnosed), a thunking noise that's been diagnosed (and is scheduled for parts replacement), a performance-variant ride that feels rough to you (which you're improving with aftermarket suspension, even though you could go with different wheels), and some loose trim (that was replaced?).

And it's kinda weird that you consider your car a pos dumpster fire, and yet you're about to sink a bunch of money into an aftermarket suspension modification. And then selling it.
The unplugged kit is cancellable and even if I do end up purchasing it, I could sell it pretty quickly elsewhere. So, very obviously, I would not install the new kit then sell the car. I'd only install the kit if I were going to keep it.

I see replacing the entire steering rack as a pretty big job - I've had experience with these kinds of replacements before and there's almost always something that's perpetually wrong with the car as a result of a big service item like this. Not to mention the car is out of commission until they get that new part in - a huge inconvenience. So it's definitely the worst part for me.

If you don't like the car, sell it. You will get your money back. Buy something you enjoy. Why are you putting more money into something you consider a POS?? Why keep something you would say this about? That's harsh.

I don't look at the MY as a luxury car. I look at it as an amazing performance car with incredible efficiency that we can take camping and haul groceries.

I have put 12k miles in a little over three months on our MYP. The car is perfect. It has exceeded expectations and I love it. It's a daily driver for us though, not something that's locked in the garage like some other cars we infrequently drive.

Mercedes has the EQS and will be coming out with an SUV. BMW just came out with an electric 7 series. Maybe those would be better suited to you if you want a luxury car? Or the Cadillac Lyric? Get a Taycan? There are lots of choices now.

As far as Teslas, we had a 2016 MXP100D for a bit, it was an amazing car. The doors open when you walk up and close from inside, it has the gull doors, the interior is more premium. You can test drive the MX plaid. This is the closest to what we had, it was white on white, more "luxurious," just gorgeous-

Good luck!
Yeah, the model S and X have interiors that are over the threshold of what is tolerable in my opinion. So I definitely agree that the X it more "luxurious". But yeah, I still plan on moving it and buying my Rivian that should be in this November.

"As expected"....??? Why the hell would you buy a car that you expect to have that level of defects? And why would you buy a car and not know what the inside looked like? Insane.

I received my MYP about a month ago and was "expecting" a perfect car. And I got it. Its been nothing but a pleasure to own and drive. Paint is perfect, fast smooth and quiet. It's my daily driver and I travel for work. Is a Tesla the perfect car? Obviously not. None are. That's why you do your due diligence prior to buying.
I mean Tesla is known for having horrendous quality control so it's not a stretch to expect some level of defects. I figured most defects would be cosmetic and fixable, but this was not the case. And yes, clearly I knew what this inside would look like. What I didn't expect was such low quality materials.

Anyways, glad you like you car, I think we just have different ideas of quality for our cars.

Yeah, the model S and X have interiors that are over the threshold of what is tolerable in my opinion. So I definitely agree that the X it more "luxurious". But yeah, I still plan on moving it and buying my Rivian that should be in this November.
As long as you have somewhere to charge it. As far as I know, they have one service station, so I don't know where you will get it fixed if anything breaks. Hope it works out!

Reactions: Dennisis
I see replacing the entire steering rack as a pretty big job

It really isn't that big of a deal even on an ICE vehicle. Tesla lists it as a job that takes 1.85 hours. But, it is a little more involved than I expected; they list 167 steps, but they are very detailed, and about 30 of the steps are walking the tech through the wheel alignment process.

I've had experience with these kinds of replacements before and there's almost always something that's perpetually wrong with the car as a result of a big service item like this.
I'm sorry you have had such horrible repair experiences with your past ICE vehicles. That should never be the case.

Hi folks,

Looking to see if any of you had a similar experience with your Tesla initially.

I took delivery of my 22 Model Y Performance about three weeks ago. I've had a really rough go and find myself almost sick to my stomach when I think about how much I paid vs the quality of vehicle I got. Some of the challenges I've had are included below.

As expected, it had some pretty horrendous paint defects on delivery (like 8-10 inch scratches), so I sent it out to get paint corrected and ceramic coated. This cleaned up like 90% of those defects which was great. After driving it for a few miles I found/heard lots of other issues. Among many other smaller issues, I noticed: the steering wheel has to be turned 4 or 5 degrees to the right for the car to go straight, the front left suspension has a metal-on-metal thunking sound with every bump, the front right suspension makes a pretty awful grinding noise when turning right, and several pieces of trim rattle (the primary offender being some deep, loud rattle by the windshield). The quality of trim is also disappointing with poorly fitting plastics everywhere and sweaty seat material. Also, for some reason the steering wheel feels tiny (?). Not necessarily an issue with my particular car, but it rides like a freight train. I feel every little bump in the road, and I'm sure this just accentuates the rattles I'm hearing. I fear that I got a car that was slapped together before the turn of the quarter - when the assembly line is rushed and cars are pushed out as fast as possible.

All that being said, there are definitely things I love about the car. I love the smooth operation, the power, the easy acceleration, deceleration, and heating/AC controls. The panel gaps were not great but definitely better than I expected. The white interior with the red exterior is beautiful. I just don't know if these positives outweigh the negatives.

Anyway, I'm wondering three things: have you guys had bad rattles that were able to fixed by tesla? what can I do to make the ride better (I was hoping I could put some chunkier tires on to soften the ride. I have the 21" uberturbines. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible, I don't want to replace suspension components.)? And, what can I do to make the interior feel nicer and less like a $80k Camry?

Thanks!
That sounds absolutely terrible! I have MYP on order, reading all these issues makes me thinking cancelling the order. I have now 2016 X3 3.0d Msport, no issues at all, no noises, no gaps, rattles, anything...and ride on 20"s is good.

This thread does not serve a good purpose. It is very misleading, especially to potential delivery folks. Tesla is not known for amazing delivery quality, yes, but the OP disallows the benefit of the doubt to properly appear. Very disappointing thread.

Has the OP ever been on a freight train to draw such a far fetched comparison?

I've owned one Luxury vehicle (2020 X5 50i) prior to my Tesla M3P, MYP, and MXP

The X5 50i had the same suspension characteristics as my 2022 MYP, I guess it had a nicer interior, albeit very busy and the Idrive was layered in a way which was built with the thought that you may only set up the driving experience once. I found it to be very lacking and just busy with pointless settings, I despised using it.

I always talk to guys who tell me a Tesla feels like an Econobox, but when we get down to it, the only vehicles offering more performance, styling, and feature sets are 120k+

The rattles and steering rack issue are wholly correctable and with the right Attitude and kind words, I have no doubt Service would solve them, but maybe you do have a 🍋

As for the suspension issues, it seems like you're looking for a Pillow-yyy air suspension feel rather than a Planted/Compliant drive which is more akind to the MYP ride, the Model X Plaid offers a Pillow ride, albeit feel floaty when getting on the accelerator.

With everything I've said, I had a similar experience as you with my M3P in 2018, but the rattles, suspension issues, etc came about after the 15k miles mark, Panels began to come apart, suspension became rough, and the drivers side Windshield panel became Missalligned and had wind pass-through. These are issues which Tesla service fixed, but all came back by 25k miles. I'm at 7500 miles on my MYP and very happy with no issues to speak of, hopefully these same issues do not Rear their head later down the road.

Reactions: Yelobird
That sounds absolutely terrible! I have MYP on order, reading all these issues makes me thinking cancelling the order. I have now 2016 X3 3.0d Msport, no issues at all, no noises, no gaps, rattles, anything...and ride on 20"s is good.
We have a new model Y performance (June 22 build) and don’t have any of these issues. We just took it on a 1700-mile trip a couple of weeks ago and I drove it 6 hours to Austin to the Tesla giga factory on Thursday for the cyber roundup event. It has been nearly perfect. The only rattle I had one day was the passenger seat belt buckle in between the door and seat making a clunking noise. I thought, oh no.. the stories are true, but once I figured this out and moved the buckle, there are no rattles. The only other issue we had was the touch screen froze up on us on our long trip for a few minutes, everything, including the nav, was working but the touch did nothing. I rebooted it while driving with the double scroll wheel reset, and it never happened again. Our car rides fine for a performance variant (as expected), we haul a toddler and baby daily on terrible roads and it's a non-issue for us. Rides much better than my last sports car did.

Last edited:
The worst part is that the thunking noise that I was hearing from the front left suspension was actually the steering rack. They didn't bother fixing it, rather just ordered an entire new steering rack that will be here in A MONTH at best. So, now my whole front end has to be dismantled and rebuilt and I have low faith in Tesla's ability to reassemble it correctly.
Obviously, Tesla should and likely will remedy any of these issues. Wondering why issues such as scratches and trim weren't reported in the 24-hour delivery window they give you to look over everything and report it? Our delivery center said if we notice ANYTHING once we got home to report it and they will fix it. We had nothing to report and I looked everywhere. There is one spot where a panel gap for the front fender is tighter than it should be (I would NEVER notice this if it wasn't for the constant complaining about Tesla panel gaps which made me scrutinize the hell out of this car). Definitely not worth messing with fixing it. I notice it when I wash it now, but nobody else would ever notice it.

As for the steering rack, I was just at the Austin Giga Factory and we got to tour the factory where the model Y was being built as well as see the actual broken-down expanded displays of the model Y and see them assembling the actual car. So I saw the real car and parts sitting there being assembled. The entire front-end assembly is incredibly simple. It is nowhere near the complexity or difficulty to work on as the countless ICE vehicles I have worked on over my lifetime. Changing out the steering on a Model Y would be more like working on an ATV. It's a non-complex job.

If my car was going to be out of service for a month though due to manufacturing defects, I would demand a loaner or compensation for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
BMW owner... talking about the reliability. LOL:cool:
My friend works at the BMW service. Do you want to hear about many horror stories? Even his 2018 M3 had spun rod bearing at 25k miles. LOL

My friend works at the BMW service. Do you want to hear about many horror stories? Even his 2018 M3 had spun rod bearing at 25k miles. LOL
Are you trying to say a random first time poster (that has since left) is less credible then someone working at a dealership. That would never happen on a Tesla forum. If it’s written it Must be true!

Reactions: nate704
Never said anything about M-series reliability. BMW has had rod bearing issues since 1992 E36 M3, it's not gonna change. Late N57 is excellent engine with <10k oil changes. I have owned and maintained BMW cars for 20 years, how long your friend has been at the shop?

I've owned one Luxury vehicle (2020 X5 50i) prior to my Tesla M3P, MYP, and MXP

The X5 50i had the same suspension characteristics as my 2022 MYP, I guess it had a nicer interior, albeit very busy and the Idrive was layered in a way which was built with the thought that you may only set up the driving experience once. I found it to be very lacking and just busy with pointless settings, I despised using it.

I always talk to guys who tell me a Tesla feels like an Econobox, but when we get down to it, the only vehicles offering more performance, styling, and feature sets are 120k+

The rattles and steering rack issue are wholly correctable and with the right Attitude and kind words, I have no doubt Service would solve them, but maybe you do have a 🍋

As for the suspension issues, it seems like you're looking for a Pillow-yyy air suspension feel rather than a Planted/Compliant drive which is more akind to the MYP ride, the Model X Plaid offers a Pillow ride, albeit feel floaty when getting on the accelerator.

With everything I've said, I had a similar experience as you with my M3P in 2018, but the rattles, suspension issues, etc came about after the 15k miles mark, Panels began to come apart, suspension became rough, and the drivers side Windshield panel became Missalligned and had wind pass-through. These are issues which Tesla service fixed, but all came back by 25k miles. I'm at 7500 miles on my MYP and very happy with no issues to speak of, hopefully these same issues do not Rear their head later down the road.
I'm not looking or expecting pillow-style drive, I know it's firm and sporty it's perfectly ok, it must be with that amount of power. I just don't want to feel every single stone chip in my back.

I drove bone stock MY LR 19", ride quality was worst experience in what 10 years at least? It was like being on Santa's sled loaded with rocks on tarmac.

Drove Berlin made MYP, it was much better so I ordered it. Of course I always can swap KW coilovers, but not sure do I want to throw 3k on suspension when car costs 75k.

Last edited:
I know this may offend some people, but shut up. You are buying a performance model and want a compliant ride.? It has 21 inch 35 profile (probably summer) tires. I get sick of people complaining about it. I have owned the 3P and still have our YP so if you don't want a sports car ride buy something else. And usually the responses are "change the suspension". Yes you can do that but IF you have an issue, it is almost guaranteed that Tesla will not warranty anything to do with it. And why would you pay the new price for these and spend additional $thousands on that when everyone is complaining about how much they cost. I have a family member with a M50i X5 and his wife has an AMG GLE. They both ride way worse than the Y and cost near 100k. Sorry for the rant but D@mn!

Last edited:
I know this may offend some people, but shut up. You are buying a performance model and want a compliant ride.? It has 21 inch 35 profile (probably summer) tires. I get sick of people complaining about it. I have owned the 3P and still have our YP so if you don't want a sports car ride buy something else. And usually the responses are "change the suspension". Yes you can do that but IF you have an issue, it is almost guaranteed that Tesla will not warranty anything to do with it. And why would you pay the new price for these and spend additional $thousands on that when everyone is complaining about how much they cost. I have a family member with a M50i X5 and his wife has an AMG GLE. They both ride way worse than the Y and cost near 100k. Sorry for the rant but D@mn!
I had a Guy tell me the MYP was an Econobox, I then politely asked him what vehicles he has owned had better driving dynamics/performance.

His response was Porsche 991 Turbo and for some reason mentioned how his Lexus RX35 had better Fit and Finish. Dumb Snobs.