Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Model 3 Delivery Experience (photos + video inside)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea where this needs to go, and I doubt posting here will do anything, But want to share my Model 3 experience in Vancouver, Canada . Ill post most of the email here, which I sent to their support email. I really am surprised there isn't really anywhere to send these complaints that will actually do something about it. Correct me if Im wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

"I want to share my subpar experience with my Tesla Model 3 delivery on June 25/2019. The overall experience with staff wasn't too bad. My sales person ****, was fantastic when originally ordered on July 4. Others in between also were satisfactory. However, at the delivery is when things started to be a poor experience for me. Firstly, it seemed the staff were in a constant hectic state, unable to give the customers the care and time they need to feel at peace and content with their purchase. Buying a new car is a special experience for people, and Tesla certainly doesn't make it feel that way. In fact, the Vancouver delivery office feels completely temporary, like a pop up shop. In any case, the whole thing felt extremely rushed, and that asking the staff for something you were bothering them, as they were scurrying all over. Overall the staff were pleasant given their circumstances, minus a few exceptions. The main point I would like to bring to your attention is the the quality control on the cars -- it is abysmal to say the least. It has left an awful sour taste in my mouth and am really disappointed with the way things turned out, as a first time Tesla buyer.

Please see below for all the issues I had with my car. Some I noticed there at delivery, some couldn't be seen until the car was washed and detailed myself, as it was relatively dirty when I received it. I really am upset about this whole situation and will do my best to describe the issues.

1. Cracked wood and chipped wood dash piece (reported to Tesla at time of delivery)

2. Roof liner dirty with hand prints (reported to Tesla). One of the employees said "there's not much we can do, it's cosmetic". That's a huge component to the car is it not? How can I be given a response like that? Cosmetic issues doesn't mean the issue is any less important. I would argue it's just as important as any other issue in a 70k+ new car. I pushed him further to try to replace the panel while I am here, but this wasn't an option apparently. He offered to try to help remove the stain. The guy used some soap and a rag to wipe most of it off, but there is still remnants of a faint black mark which is of course unacceptable to me. He said, "we can keep trying but that's probably the best it will be". I told him to note my file and he said "I'll try to note your file but most likely nothing can be done, they won't replace it". I'll "try" to note your file? How can that be an acceptable response? Basically he's telling me, "you are out of luck, nothing we can do". But it sounds like the staff have just been accustomed to these kinds of issues and just brush them off.

3. Chip in hood (Reported at delivery, they took 30 mins and put some touch up paint on it)

4. Scratches / scuff areas on bumper. Multiple, in 3 different spots in same area. (Reported at delivery, the one obvious area were buffed, but in the sun at home they are clearly visible. Couldn't see in the others in lighting at time of delivery).

5. Nick / chipped paint on door handle (not reported , not noticed til washed)

6. Blob of glue near door release on driver side

7. 3 really obvious tennis ball size discolored areas on one panel in the paint. I'm told this is from wetsanding in the base paint and not polishing before clear coating, ie. a rushed and lazy job. This can apparently not be buffed as it is not in the clear coat but under neath in the base layer.

8. Big u shaped scratch on the front hood, near emblem (noticed after wash)

9. One door not closing as easily as the rest , requires more force and doesn't sound the same as the others

10. Blotchy and uneven clear coat on driver door handle

11. Scratched plastic panel on driver side panel

12. Missing USB cables for charging

13. No Nema 14-50 adapter. In my original discussion purchasing the car, I believe I was told this adapter would be included. Instead all I got was the 110V adapter instead of both.

Please see photos and videos below:
Issue #1) Imgur
Issue #4)
Issue #7)
and
Issue #8)
Issue #10) Imgur
Issue #11) Imgur

Overall, car drives great, my friend is getting a Model 3 next week so I will compare the door issue to his to see if its really a problem or they are all like that to some extent. Im really just hoping to be able to go to a body shop at my own convenience and get reimbursed for that. Is that likely to happen? I can't really seem them giving me a satisfactory resolution. I dont want to repaint a door but if I have to I guess I will.. but on my own time and at my own leisure. Regarding the wood, it will take 2 weeks for a mobile guy to replace it.

Eek.

Currently scheduled for pickup next weekend. I drive by that pickup point everyday and always looks like a gong show on delivery day. Which you are right, it really shouldn't be a rushed experience. Hopefully you can get things resolved quick.

It sucks. Unfortunately, you are past the 7-day window to return it. Once you realized they were not delivering the car to your satisfaction you should have rejected delivery or if the issues were not discovered until the next day you could still return the car within the 7-day window.

I guess I should mention that you aren't elligble for the 7 day return period if you are accepting rebates. In Canada here we have an EV rebate incentive but if you take it Tesla voids the return policy. Regarding why I accepted it, I've been told that no car is going to be perfect, so the next one could be bad or even worse. Pretty unacceptable to even have to make a decision between these two options. My old car was sold and didn't have a car anymore , didn't know how long it would be for a new delivery. I guess I should have asked , but still.

Sorry to hear about your experience. We see similar threads from time to time. It’s really not a good idea to accept a car that you are unhappy with. You are going to have it for a long time so it should be in a condition you find reasonable. Based on your description, it doesn’t sound like that was the case.

Most emails to Tesla support go unanswered. If you really want a response from Tesla you will have to chase them down. But be realistic on what you expect from them at this point. Good luck with it.

I guess I don’t understand why you accepted delivery in the first place. Several of these are pretty bad. The wood in particular.
At the Vancouver location they get you to pay, register, and insure the vehicle before you even see it. If you get the BC rebate you also agree to not sell the vehicle for a year. Their rushed process due to the number of deliveries at the location has pushed them into this very tough and pushy delivery experience.

At the Vancouver location they get you to pay, register, and insure the vehicle before you even see it. If you get the BC rebate you also agree to not sell the vehicle for a year. Their rushed process due to the number of deliveries at the location has pushed them into this very tough and pushy delivery experience.

They can’t force you to do anything you don’t want to do. Simply saying no works just fine.

They can’t force you to do anything you don’t want to do. Simply saying no works just fine.

Sure, yeah. It just means you don't get the vehicle, which was very likely a large decision and something that had been waited on for weeks if not months.

It may take a lot of time and fighting unfortunately (due to the volume of issues locally), but at least the wood (replace) and paint on the doors (replace or repaint) should be fixed by Tesla for free. I'm very sorry OP. Vancouver Tesla is a mess currently.

Sure, yeah. It just means you don't get the vehicle, which was very likely a large decision and something that had been waited on for weeks if not months.

It may take a lot of time and fighting unfortunately (due to the volume of issues locally), but at least the wood (replace) and paint on the doors (replace or repaint) should be fixed by Tesla for free. I'm very sorry OP. Vancouver Tesla is a mess currently.

You get what you ask for. If you want to inspect the car before paying for it you have to tell them that is what you will be doing. It’s not as black and white as you make it out to be. I’ve done five deliveries now and every time they have tried to tell me how it will be done, and every time they ended up doing it my way.

• Love
Reactions: alloverx
You get what you ask for. If you want to inspect the car before paying for it you have to tell them that is what you will be doing. It’s not as black and white as you make it out to be. I’ve done five deliveries now and every time they have tried to tell me how it will be done, and every time they ended up doing it my way.
correct! Initially at delivery they said they had tight time slots to get everyone their cars. The delivery guy said "hey lets sign paperwork and get you out of her" I then asked to see the car first.

You get what you ask for ALWAYS. And if not... it never hurts to ask. :)

WOW! That makes me want to rethink my purchase from Calgary. I am about to pull the trigger today, but comments like these do not instill confidence. They said they send the car by carrier to me, after it has been inspected by their service department. Wonder what recourse I would have if it is as bad as yours? They are about 1111 km away from here.

WOW! That makes me want to rethink my purchase from Calgary. I am about to pull the trigger today, but comments like these do not instill confidence. They said they send the car by carrier to me, after it has been inspected by their service department. Wonder what recourse I would have if it is as bad as yours? They are about 1111 km away from here.

I feel like its one of those rare instances that it's this bad. I probably see see 20-30 Model 3's in Vancouver a day and if they all had issues you'd be hearing about it more often. Plus... you're more likely to jump online and complain/talk about it when it's a bad experience vs a good experience.

I feel like its one of those rare instances that it's this bad. I probably see see 20-30 Model 3's in Vancouver a day and if they all had issues you'd be hearing about it more often. Plus... you're more likely to jump online and complain/talk about it when it's a bad experience vs a good experience.

True enough, most people do not post "I had a wonderful experience and the car was in excellent condition"!
BUT, I emailed my sales rep in Calgary over the weekend with some final purchase questions and have not heard back yet. I drove to Minneapolis for a test drive as it was about 400 km round trip closer to me. Am I expecting too much? No auto-responder (no pun intended)! It makes me wonder what they will do if I have a problem, given their method of communication or lack thereof when I am looking to buy.
I would rather not purchase another Volt, even though I loved the car, as I wanted the promised FSD of the Tesla.

I have no idea where this needs to go, and I doubt posting here will do anything, But want to share my Model 3 experience in Vancouver, Canada . Ill post most of the email here, which I sent to their support email. I really am surprised there isn't really anywhere to send these complaints that will actually do something about it. Correct me if Im wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

"I want to share my subpar experience with my Tesla Model 3 delivery on June 25/2019. The overall experience with staff wasn't too bad. My sales person ****, was fantastic when originally ordered on July 4. Others in between also were satisfactory. However, at the delivery is when things started to be a poor experience for me. Firstly, it seemed the staff were in a constant hectic state, unable to give the customers the care and time they need to feel at peace and content with their purchase. Buying a new car is a special experience for people, and Tesla certainly doesn't make it feel that way. In fact, the Vancouver delivery office feels completely temporary, like a pop up shop. In any case, the whole thing felt extremely rushed, and that asking the staff for something you were bothering them, as they were scurrying all over. Overall the staff were pleasant given their circumstances, minus a few exceptions. The main point I would like to bring to your attention is the the quality control on the cars -- it is abysmal to say the least. It has left an awful sour taste in my mouth and am really disappointed with the way things turned out, as a first time Tesla buyer.

Please see below for all the issues I had with my car. Some I noticed there at delivery, some couldn't be seen until the car was washed and detailed myself, as it was relatively dirty when I received it. I really am upset about this whole situation and will do my best to describe the issues.

1. Cracked wood and chipped wood dash piece (reported to Tesla at time of delivery)

2. Roof liner dirty with hand prints (reported to Tesla). One of the employees said "there's not much we can do, it's cosmetic". That's a huge component to the car is it not? How can I be given a response like that? Cosmetic issues doesn't mean the issue is any less important. I would argue it's just as important as any other issue in a 70k+ new car. I pushed him further to try to replace the panel while I am here, but this wasn't an option apparently. He offered to try to help remove the stain. The guy used some soap and a rag to wipe most of it off, but there is still remnants of a faint black mark which is of course unacceptable to me. He said, "we can keep trying but that's probably the best it will be". I told him to note my file and he said "I'll try to note your file but most likely nothing can be done, they won't replace it". I'll "try" to note your file? How can that be an acceptable response? Basically he's telling me, "you are out of luck, nothing we can do". But it sounds like the staff have just been accustomed to these kinds of issues and just brush them off.

3. Chip in hood (Reported at delivery, they took 30 mins and put some touch up paint on it)

4. Scratches / scuff areas on bumper. Multiple, in 3 different spots in same area. (Reported at delivery, the one obvious area were buffed, but in the sun at home they are clearly visible. Couldn't see in the others in lighting at time of delivery).

5. Nick / chipped paint on door handle (not reported , not noticed til washed)

6. Blob of glue near door release on driver side

7. 3 really obvious tennis ball size discolored areas on one panel in the paint. I'm told this is from wetsanding in the base paint and not polishing before clear coating, ie. a rushed and lazy job. This can apparently not be buffed as it is not in the clear coat but under neath in the base layer.

8. Big u shaped scratch on the front hood, near emblem (noticed after wash)

9. One door not closing as easily as the rest , requires more force and doesn't sound the same as the others

10. Blotchy and uneven clear coat on driver door handle

11. Scratched plastic panel on driver side panel

12. Missing USB cables for charging

13. No Nema 14-50 adapter. In my original discussion purchasing the car, I believe I was told this adapter would be included. Instead all I got was the 110V adapter instead of both.

Please see photos and videos below:
Issue #1) Imgur
Issue #4)
Issue #7)
and
Issue #8)
Issue #10) Imgur
Issue #11) Imgur

Overall, car drives great, my friend is getting a Model 3 next week so I will compare the door issue to his to see if its really a problem or they are all like that to some extent. Im really just hoping to be able to go to a body shop at my own convenience and get reimbursed for that. Is that likely to happen? I can't really seem them giving me a satisfactory resolution. I dont want to repaint a door but if I have to I guess I will.. but on my own time and at my own leisure. Regarding the wood, it will take 2 weeks for a mobile guy to replace it.

Looks like my... :(

Just fyi. We are groupping globally all model 3 related paint issues together.

Is #TeslaPaintIssues the next headline hurdle for Tesla? - Grit Daily

Feel free to join! >>>

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues