Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading the latest comments from the release of the Porsche Taycan going forward, some of you guys have me shaking my head and laughing. A lot of you are the same people who knock anyone that drives an ICE vehicle or knock manufacturers because they aren’t pushing hard to make every vehicle electric, but yet when another option finally becomes available all you do is knock it down because it doesn’t have this or it doesn’t do that.. You are too funny. I bet you if say Nissan came out with an EV that was faster than any Tesla and had a range that far exceeded any current Tesla and was priced in the $30k range you would still find things to whine and complain about. Suck it up and just enjoy in the fact that there are finally more options to choose from. What’s that age old saying... “Variety is the spice of life”...

I want to know why the media isn't grilling them for launching the most expensive model first, after promising it would "cost about $10k less than a comparable Panamera" and luring 30,000 people to put down a deposit on a car they thought they would be able to afford. On all their other models, they launch the base or S first, and the turbo comes along a year later. I guess because it's Porsche and not Tesla then it's OK?

Reactions: Scott7 and jgs
Show us one Porsche that doesn’t handle as good or better than any vehicle in its class?
Show me one car that weighs over 5000lbs that handles particularly well period.

The Model S handles far better than it has any right to for its size and mass. Maybe the Taycan will be better. But 5klbs is just way to much for anything to be considered a 'sports car'.

Model S gets you faster acceleration, 120 miles of more range, vastly better charging network, more cargo space and a couple hundred pounds lighter for half the price. I really don't see the allure of the Taycan at these specs. If you want a sports car, buy a sports car, the Taycan is not one.

Show me one car that weighs over 5000lbs that handles particularly well period.

The Model S handles far better than it has any right to for its size and mass. Maybe the Taycan will be better. But 5klbs is just way to much for anything to be considered a 'sports car'.

Model S gets you faster acceleration, 120 miles of more range, vastly better charging network, more cargo space and a couple hundred pounds lighter for half the price. I really don't see the allure of the Taycan at these specs. If you want a sports car, buy a sports car, the Taycan is not one.
The reason I did not buy a model S is handling. If Taycan handles similar to it's other cars, then I am in line to buy it.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Compared to 911, yes its not as good. But compared to other 5000 lbs cars, its very good.

It's not a sports car. That applies to both the Panamera and the Taycan. They're expensive four-door sedans with dubious sporting pretensions. If you actually want something for running hot laps on the track, or canyon carving, or autocross, etc., then you wouldn't choose any of those — or any current production Tesla, either. (Well, I should say. . . If any of you do drive a 3 through the canyons, I'm sure you can have some fun with that. I would be happy to do that. But an actual sports car would still arguably be better.)

The difference is that with a Model S you get lots more storage space, more range and a much better charging network than the Taycan. Oh, and the price difference. Wouldn't want to forget that.

The Model S seems (to me) very confident in being what it is: an American style luxury-muscle car, the kind that other American car companies (I'm looking at you, Cadillac!) used to build before they decided to chase the Europeans instead of doing their own thing. That the S handles well "for its size" is gravy, delicious gravy, but it doesn't pretend to be a sports car.

Meanwhile, for the price of the Taycan "Turbo" (haha!) you could get a Tesla for daily and a clean Corvette for track day.

Compared to 911, yes its not as good. But compared to other 5000 lbs cars, its very good.
Yes that was my whole point, 5000lb cars are not sports cars, and aren't going to handle particularly well no matter who makes them.

Back when Porsche was claiming it would be just as quick as a Tesla, with 300 mile range and an $80k price tag it made sense. Now it just doesn't. If you want a sports car buy a 911, or hope the Roadster isn't a pig like this. Only way I could see someone getting this is if you love the Porsche badge. (or hate Tesla for some of the bullshit they pull)

It's not a sports car. That applies to both the Panamera and the Taycan. They're expensive four-door sedans with dubious sporting pretensions. If you actually want something for running hot laps on the track, or canyon carving, or autocross, etc., then you wouldn't choose any of those — or any current production Tesla, either. (Well, I should say. . . If any of you do drive a 3 through the canyons, I'm sure you can have some fun with that. I would be happy to do that. But an actual sports car would still arguably be better.)

The difference is that with a Model S you get lots more storage space, more range and a much better charging network than the Taycan. Oh, and the price difference. Wouldn't want to forget that.

The Model S seems (to me) very confident in being what it is: an American style luxury-muscle car, the kind that other American car companies (I'm looking at you, Cadillac!) used to build before they decided to chase the Europeans instead of doing their own thing. That the S handles well "for its size" is gravy, delicious gravy, but it doesn't pretend to be a sports car.

Meanwhile, for the price of the Taycan "Turbo" (haha!) you could get a Tesla for daily and a clean Corvette for track day.

Yes that was my whole point, 5000lb cars are not sports cars, and aren't going to handle particularly well no matter who makes them.

Back when Porsche was claiming it would be just as quick as a Tesla, with 300 mile range and an $80k price tag it made sense. Now it just doesn't. If you want a sports car buy a 911, or hope the Roadster isn't a pig like this. Only way I could see someone getting this is if you love the Porsche badge. (or hate Tesla for some of the bullshit they pull)

I agree the Taycan is not a sports car. But I still like the solid steering feel I get with Porsches. I also like the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control, which drastically reduces body roll. These were the 2 things I did not like in the Model S (Steering and suspension / chassis). What I don't know is if these 2 things are worth the huge additional costs.

I agree the Taycan is not a sports car. But I still like the solid steering feel I get with Porsches. I also like the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control, which drastically reduces body roll. These were the 2 things I did not like in the Model S (Steering and suspension / chassis). What I don't know is if these 2 things are worth the huge additional costs.

The S does now have adaptive suspension, which I personally have not yet driven or seen any detailed info about, but what I've heard has been generally positive.

The S does now have adaptive suspension, which I personally have not yet driven or seen any detailed info about, but what I've heard has been generally positive.
Its not just adaptive suspension. Anti roll suspension is a horizontally mounted damper. It is not the usual vertical suspension mounted on all 4 wheels. For Anti roll, there are 2 dampers mounted horizontally in the middle of the car at the front and back.

No Taycans ready for delivery in the Bay Area... I suspect that an additional dealer markup will be in play for early allocations.

Perhaps we should wait for the GT2 or RSR reservations? :cool:

Oh there will be plenty of dealer markup - the dealers will still be licking their wounds from paying for the charger, showroom displays, special tools, and training that PCNA will make a mandatory part of receiving an allocation. One of Tesla's real strengths is not having the parasitic draw of a dealer network.

Random thoughts:

The 2020+ new Tesla Roadster will be:
#1: Nearly double the cost of the Taycan
#2: Twice the battery capacity and range (600miles vs 300miles)
#3: 250MPH+ top speed vs 160MPH
#4: 0-60 in < 2s vs ~3s

But.... you get a lot more video screens per $ in the Taycan. :cool:
Tesla is sticking with the KISS Apple UI approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgs and pilotSteve
Chris Harris got sick from the P100Ds Air Suspension...something about an un-natural porpoising motion.
@12:10

Uhh, Top Gear? You know that's an entertainment program, not a car review site, right? It's been long established that nothing they publish is required — or, indeed, expected — to be accurate or truthful in any way.

EDIT: Oh wait, it gets better. Check the date on that video, it's from Dec 2017. The adaptive suspension wasn't even introduced to the Model S until April of this year. So unless Top Gear also have access to a time machine, I don't think that's relevant at all.

Last edited:
Probably around 280 today. If everthing goes according to plan, it will be at least ~480 + 180 by the end of the year.

How many of those have 99.9% uptime required of basically all other refueling stations (gas or Superchargers)? Ever read the Plug Share comments on an EA location? I have... :eek:

Note that this does NOT make a combustion engine sound. It makes more of the EV sound.

Is...is that supposed to excuse fake sounds? From Porsche of all brands?

Sure, at the moment Tesla’s cars may have a slight advantage in range and power

...and weight! Also 27% is more than a slight advantage. That matters quite a bit if your taking this car to the track and driving it home afterward. Track use is obviously very hard on battery range.

The reason I did not buy a model S is handling. If Taycan handles similar to it's other cars, then I am in line to buy it.

I haven't read your history so maybe you've already done so, but it sounds like the car you should test drive is the P3D not the Model S.

Reactions: jgs and FlatSix911
Uhh, Top Gear? You know that's an entertainment program, not a car review site, right? It's been long established that nothing they publish is required — or, indeed, expected — to be accurate or truthful in any way.

EDIT: Oh wait, it gets better. Check the date on that video, it's from Dec 2017. The adaptive suspension wasn't even introduced to the Model S until April of this year. So unless Top Gear also have access to a time machine, I don't think that's relevant at all.
Ahh...good...its now "adaptive"...so maybe they took care of the porpoising issue that made Chris Harris sick.