Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another video...looks like it has "recuperation" on the accelerator...hmmm....

View attachment 450497

Yeah I know right! Everyone should watch this video, especially from 9 minutes in where he goes over the design. Retracting door handles, fremless windows, big huge entry metal plate, steering wheel exactly like Tesla's, etc... It's so similar to my 2013 Model S design wise. LOL.

I’m glad another EV has come to market, so many others out there still holding the empty basket full of promises. It’s not the car I put my deposit down on and I don’t think it’s a car I wish to pursue but I’m glad they were able to release a working car. It’s always natural to compare but this is a stand alone product bringing a lot of tech to the public that will surely trickle down. It doesn’t matter who develops the tech as long as it’s actually being delivered.

So Taycan can go 0-100 many times without losing performance. But is it quicker than a Model S with lost performance? Ie if Taycan can do 0-100 in 2.7s, can you do repeated 0-100 in 2.7s in a Raven S P100D? Or how much does the Model S lose?

These will all be over 200,000 with options. These make no sense at all with them going to have a range of under 300 miles.
My guess is that, perversely, the higher the price, the less important the range (and the charging network), because...
These will just be status symbol cars.
... that is exactly what they'll be. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, after all people are constantly trying to tell me I must have a cheap gas car for long distance driving and I leave my Model S packed in cotton wool at home and take it out on Sundays, which of course is completely mistaken. But I have a bit of a hard time imagining many people road tripping in their $2xx,000 Taycan.

This pricing makes me wonder if Tesla made a mistake in not updating Model S and keeping the high price or introducing a more expensive higher performance version that fixed some of the performance & battery issues
Isn't that called "the (new) Roadster"?

It costs $2050 for adaptive cruise!
To be fair it was only recently that Tesla stopped charging extra for that.

Posted this on another thread already, but it's too funny to not share here too. This is my "favorite" Taycan feature. Maybe Porsche hired an ex-BMW engineer? :p
Oh that's hilarious. I'm imagining a kid in the back seat making "vroom vroom" noises. Very emotional. German speakers, does the "emotion" thing every German automaker bangs on about sound less goofy in German? Their English-speaking ad agencies are letting them down.

Reactions: sdoorex and Scott7
Not sure why no one considers driving experience and driving feedback as points of comparison between Taycan and Model S? That is a very important factor for me.
I DEFINITELY consider driving experience and driving feedback as important, gowthamm. They are very important, that's why I placed a Taycan deposit a few days back. The Nurburgring video was SUPER impressive. But now I see the car for real, and especially the pricing, and I question whether the driving experience and driving feedback are enough to offset the downsides.
For others (maybe you) they are so important that they make the Porsche a must-have, in which case: excellent! Enjoy the hell out of it! It is an individual choice, of course. One thing's for sure- it looks beautifully screwed together and lovely inside and out. Wish my Tesla was like that. Oh well, swings and roundabouts...

Reactions: Scott7 and mtndrew1
Not sure why no one considers driving experience and driving feedback as points of comparison between Taycan and Model S? That is a very important factor for me.

If Porsche driving dynamics (and, let’s be honest, fit and finish) are $75,000 more valuable to you than range, acceleration, space, luggage capacity, charging network, efficiency, and so forth then the Taycan might be ideal for you. It’s almost certain to be a brilliant car in the way that Porsches have been for decades.

If you get one I have no doubt that many here would love to hear your experiences. In my opinion, for two hundred grand, it should do everything a Model S can *and* drive like a Porsche.

Nevertheless I’m sure the Taycan will be brilliant.

Pretty good summary by mkbhd just published.

Honestly main barrier to this will be price. Many stretched to buy an 80k Tesla in 2013/2014 but im guessing most won't be able/be willing to stretch to 165k. This won't be a mainstream vehicle for sure.

My understanding is the Taycan battery is 100 kWh with 93 kWh usable, but even it's 7 kWh less...that's only 7% different.

The P100D is rated 345 miles EPA. If Taycan has 250 EPA, that would be over 25% less range. I don't think that's "pretty good" for a company's flagship BEV at almost double the price. I definitely agree that it's "good enough" for what will likely be most buyer's third (or fifth) car. I doubt those buyers are going to road trip this car anyway.

The top spec Taycan has 256 miles WLTP range not EPA, going off the historical relationship between the two, the Taycan will likely slot in at 230 miles of EPA range. Or 115 less than the SP100D.

In case you were wondering where that charge port door goes when you open it. ;) Also, a look at the massive tires on the rear wheels of the Turbo S. :eek:

Untitled.jpg

Also curious to see the Taycan's charging curve. Apparently it charges from 5-80% in about 20 minutes, with 270kW peak power on an 800V charger.

150 kW at 80%, crazy. Wonder how much buffer they have on top of the battery to achieve that. And it also starts to heat the pack if you navigate to a charging station, like a Tesla.

View attachment 450354

LOL... how many 270kW 800V charging stations exist today in the US?

curve-png.450354

Last edited:
5200lbs “track car” from the company that strips interiors to get their other track focused cars under 3,000lbs seems like forced priorities. I’m not sure Taycan can be a logical purchase for anyone except extreme cases of having FU-money.

nonetheless, welcome to EVs Porsche! The more the merrier. Competition is great.

Me, if I want a track car I’m thinking cayman GT4 or 911 gt3, or maybe even Lotus.