Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Model 3 Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently toying with the idea of puchasing a Model 3 SR+. Car is a 2019 model. Anything in particular I should be looking out for on a car of this age?? Also what sort of money are these currrently selling for? Mileage approx 45k. Thanks.

If it's 2019 it will have a small amount of the 4 year general warranty left to somewhere later in the year, so you'll need to not hang around if you find any issues.

I'm not really aware of any particular issues that you would look out for, maybe check how the overall build quality is and any excessive wind noise from the front windows.

I am not sure they have many fundamental flaws that you can easily look for.
Paint and panel fit can be poor so just look at the car and see if you are happy.
Front suspension had issues on some cars so listen for noise over bumps and on full lock etc. Should be fixed under warranty if present.
There were water in loom issues but if there is not a host of errors on the screen then you don't have that.
Pre July cars may have premium connectivity for life which is worth looking out for but that may be LR and P only.
Battery deg is key on any EV but very hard to tell without connecting to the OBDII which does not have a standard port so is a PiTa to do and needs special gear etc. Not sure what to say on this except look at the estimated range and extrapolate to 100% so see what the full range is estimated to be. Maybe others here can tell you what is considered good or bad. If buying a one owner car owner should be able to show you the supercharging record. One that has had less DC supercharging more AC charging would be a good idea

As per @Jason71 has said plus.
Warranty - providing its within the 4 years warranty for the whole car you have the option to extend it with Tesla for up to 4 more years, you select 1 to 4 years as you see fit, You only get the one chance to extend it - ie you cant extend one year and at the end of the year do it again etc - its a one shot term.
You do however also get the 5 years on the restraints systems as standard, as do you get 8 years or 100,000 miles on the battery and drivetrain - so that also covers the cooling system for the battery and the driveshafts, bearings and CV joints.

I would hold out for the refresh on the SR that comes with a heatpump, makes a massive difference in Winter range. You’ll be looking at 100-120 miles from my experience on the one without. But if thats not a problem, great car.

Reactions: GRiLLA
As per @Jason71 has said plus.
Warranty - providing its within the 4 years warranty for the whole car you have the option to extend it with Tesla for up to 4 more years, you select 1 to 4 years as you see fit, You only get the one chance to extend it - ie you cant extend one year and at the end of the year do it again etc - its a one shot term.
You do however also get the 5 years on the restraints systems as standard, as do you get 8 years or 100,000 miles on the battery and drivetrain - so that also covers the cooling system for the battery and the driveshafts, bearings and CV joints.
you are making the assumption the op is looking to buy direct from Tesla. He may be but he has not said so.

• Disagree
Reactions: Exy1
you are making the assumption the op is looking to buy direct from Tesla. He may be but he has not said so.
Sorry you've lost me. I don't think i assumed anything regarding who or where the car is bought, the 4 years, 50000 mile warranty that comes with the car and the opportunity to renew it is applicable wherever or whoever you buy the car from as long as the renewal is purchased during that 4 yr, 50K T&Cs, unless I'm missing something.
I do know a car beyond 50K or over the 4 yrs bought from Tesla will only come with a one year all car warranty without an opportunity to extend.

the restraints system 5 yrs and 8 yrs battery / drivetrain remains intact.

Am I having a senior moment?

• Funny
Reactions: Exy1 and Adopado
Tesla-Info will give you a fair idea of what cars are being listed for ... what they sell for is not so easy to know
Chart from said website, looks like it should be around £25k for the mileage

Don’t they have issues with the front suspension control arms, not that it’s particularly expensive fix. Paint on the cills and I’d check the wheel arch liners are fitting properly, my rears became dreadful but they’d had to take it apart to fix the towing pack on mine. Other usual suspects are water in lights, but essentially if it looks tidy, panels look straight etc it’s probably

IMG_0158.jpeg

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Sorry you've lost me. I don't think i assumed anything regarding who or where the car is bought, the 4 years, 50000 mile warranty that comes with the car and the opportunity to renew it is applicable wherever or whoever you buy the car from as long as the renewal is purchased during that 4 yr, 50K T&Cs, unless I'm missing something.
I do know a car beyond 50K or over the 4 yrs bought from Tesla will only come with a one year all car warranty without an opportunity to extend.

the restraints system 5 yrs and 8 yrs battery / drivetrain remains intact.

Am I having a senior moment?
My mistake i thought you were refering to the warranty that comes with used Teslas bought from Tesla not the Helvetia insurance waranty

I bought my 2019 SR+ in April and was lucky. Had my first old car for 27 years. I had no idea what i was getting in to. I love it, and as i said, got lucky, battery is fine, but i would suggest three things: 1. Buy from Tesla, maybe not the best deals but you get the extra year of limited warranty. On the other hand, if you buy from someone you know, that would probably be even better; 2. Get the range you need, i don’t really need long range, but in less than 2 months I’ve put 4000 miles on this thing, i want to drive it everywhere, i love it, and 180 miles in summer is not enough (it’s ok because of superchargers, but I want a bit more, my old truck was 220 on a tank so i am kind of used to that, however, the calculus changes with superchargers and home charging); 3. Research/understand batteries, range (EPA v Real World), and the specifications of the model you are looking at (speaker/sound systems, autopilot, Enhanced autopilot). the interweb gets confused by “mid-range” and ”standard range” vs. Standard Range Plus. It took me a week before I even knew what model I had.

I love mine, used EVs are nothing like used gas cars. They are so much better, it’s like brand new. I also opted for lower mileage (24k), one time owner (lease) in a town next to me (same climate). Good Luck!

Reactions: SteveH13
Not saying a 2019 can't be a good buy, but depending on how flexible the budget is, and what you can find on the market, I'd seriously consider if you can stretch into a '21 model year refresh car (built approx Nov '20 onwards). Imho, absolutely worth paying more for the longer warranty, heat pump, better range, new interior and all the other many refresh features, even if miles are the same as a 2019 you're considering.

Reactions: Whyone