Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the part they removed from the reserving a model 3 blog post... I mentioned it somewhere possibly another thread.

here it is
Going with Model S 60D Keeping Reservation?

That's actually really awesome to hear. Thanks for the info.

As Jayc said, that would simply be rewarding deep pockets, which in my opinion is/was a really awful message to everyone who's been waiting in the queue for their Model 3's.

The point is that for Tesla to tell people what number they were in line on day one might ease your curiosity, but it's a completely meaningless number for most buyers, and Tesla doesn't want the bad press of anyone crying, "I have an email saying that I was 94th reservation made but now I'm getting the thirty-thousandth car manufactured and it's just not fair!"

By that standard, Tesla has a low opinion of their customers and views them through the lens of customers being a problem.

As for the topic being meaningless, it was certainly not meaningless to Musk who was Tweeting the number of reservations by the minute. It was certainly not meaningless to Tesla which completely revamped it production, doubling it in half the time and using the customer's reservations to promote the company for financial gain. Tesla is withholding the information because Tesla feels it is too valuable to share with customers. It is certainly not meaningless to Tesla buyers who make it the No. 1 topic on all Tesla forums and in the media.

It is bad customer relations by any metric.

Reactions: 22522
Not knowing our position in the queue is fine but the one policy I don't quite agree with is pushing new Model 3 orders up the list if they also buy a Model S now.

Makes total sense to promote Tesla sales now to pay for T3 expansion.

Tesla should have fun with the order number and use it to keep the T3 buyers entertained for two years and to promote current sales of TS and TX models.

1. Show everybody their number in the order line from 1-400,000.
2. Show their position in delivery line based on the parameters available now (in store, time, date, employee, location).
3. Move positions if people buy TS or TX.
4. Once orders start show changes in position based on options.

Reactions: melindav
Yes. Tesla removed it from the website.

It would be when your credit card was charged and Tesla entered your order. The only thing Tesla can tell anyone right now is what number they are in the order line 1-400,000. It's bad customer relations for Tesla not to tell paying customers what it can. We all get the caveats for a car that isn't even in production yet but we did show confidence and support for Tesla in putting in an order but Tesla does not show similar confidence in the customers, treating them badly in this regard.
The only reason I can think of is that time of order won't matter much eventually. Even being an existing customer won't guarantee anything. Tesla s bet is likely that existing tesla customers will order loaded M3s. But what if a California tesla model s owner order a $35k stripper M3, will he or she get the car before a non tesla customer in New England who orders a $80k performance model? I doubt it.

It will all based on how expensive the car I think. Isn't that just what happened with the MX and MS to begin with?

It will all based on how expensive the car I think.
I do not think that this is how it will work out. Remember that it are more conditions at play here at once: Employee, owner etc - west to east etc. - and date(/time) of reservation. All of this will be known by the time you get to configure your car. Then there is what options you select, and that is not known until after you have finalized the configuration.

So what I think will happen is that the first set of conditions will tell Tesla when it is your time to get to configure your car. After the car is finalized all of this first sett of conditions are void, and the only thing that determine your place in the production line is date(/time) of finalization and what options you have selected. And yes I do agree that the more expensive configurations will be batched first, but I do not think they will deliver all "PxxD" models before they will have to deliver the first "stripper" cars. I think that a base version will perhaps delay your delivery by about 2 to 3 month, less later in the ramp-up.

Let's not forget that it seems that the number we saw seems to really be more of a unique identifier than anything. Some of us (myself included) were line-waiters (got my reservation half an hour after the store opened) but got absurdly high numbers that might just now be met by someone making a reservation today. In my case, it took a couple of days to get my confirmation email, but My Tesla shows the correct reservation date (my credit card was hit right away, of course).

It seems that they had a database server crash, but continued processing reservations using a range of numbers they knew to be so high that they wouldn't have an identifier collision when they were folded back into the main database. What possible good would it do to communicate that number to someone like me? When I discovered it, I started wondering if perhaps reservations by Michigan residents were being put in the penalty box because of our dealership laws. I quit worrying about that when I saw other Michiganders having more-normal numbers, but it was concerning for a little bit.

We already know that deliveries won't be processed in order of those identifier tokens. I know that I'll be near the back of the bus since I'm not in a position to buy a Model S to jump the line, I'm not a Tesla/SpaceX employee, I won't be getting a maxed-out car, and I live in the Midwest. I just waited in line on the off-chance that there might be some scraps of tax credit still on the floor when it comes time to get my car. Even so, I would expect that I would get my car sooner than someone just reserving one today and getting an identifier token not-too-different from mine.

• Informative
Reactions: vinnie97
By that standard, Tesla has a low opinion of their customers and views them through the lens of customers being a problem.

It is certainly not meaningless to Tesla buyers who make it the No. 1 topic on all Tesla forums and in the media.

Really! I can think of dozens of other topic that forum members believe are more important as is evident by how many forum members have indicated why the number its meaningless..

As for the topic being meaningless, it was certainly not meaningless to Musk who was Tweeting the number of reservations by the minute. It was certainly not meaningless to Tesla which completely revamped it production, doubling it in half the time and using the customer's reservations to promote the company for financial gain. Tesla is withholding the information because Tesla feels it is too valuable to share with customers. It is certainly not meaningless to Tesla buyers who make it the No. 1 topic on all Tesla forums and in the media.

It is bad customer relations by any metric.

As you say, Musk was tweeting the number of reservations. The TOTAL number of reservations. He was showing the world how popular the Model 3 is sight unseen. It was incredible that more than 100,000 people were so eager to throw a grand at Tesla for a car they knew absolutely nothing about. You bet he tweeted it.

What he didn't tweet was anything about anyone's place in line, other than to say that employees are first, then owners, then highly optioned buyers west coast to east.

And yes, Tesla did determine they needed to ramp up production faster than originally planned, but that was based on total reservations, not based on your place in line. Which, by the way, is far from the number one topic in all the Tesla forums. I have yet to see anyone in the Model S or X branches of this forum complaining that they don't know their place in the Model 3 queue. Neither have I seen the media complaining that Tesla isn't telling anyone their place in the queue.

And yes, some people in this Model 3 branch of the TMC forum are complaining (such as yourself), but that's hardly representative of the TMC forum as a whole, nor of the Tesla Motors forum, nor is it representative of all media regarding Tesla. In fact, for the past month or so, the Tesla related media has been all about auto-pilot. Not your number in the Model 3 delivery queue.

And no, it's not bad customer relations for them to not estimate an arbitrary number that's subject to change.

As you say, Musk was tweeting the number of reservations. The TOTAL number of reservations. He was showing the world how popular the Model 3 is sight unseen. It was incredible that more than 100,000 people were so eager to throw a grand at Tesla for a car they knew absolutely nothing about. You bet he tweeted it.

What he didn't tweet was anything about anyone's place in line, other than to say that employees are first, then owners, then highly optioned buyers west coast to east.

And yes, Tesla did determine they needed to ramp up production faster than originally planned, but that was based on total reservations, not based on your place in line. Which, by the way, is far from the number one topic in all the Tesla forums. I have yet to see anyone in the Model S or X branches of this forum complaining that they don't know their place in the Model 3 queue. Neither have I seen the media complaining that Tesla isn't telling anyone their place in the queue.

And yes, some people in this Model 3 branch of the TMC forum are complaining (such as yourself), but that's hardly representative of the TMC forum as a whole, nor of the Tesla Motors forum, nor is it representative of all media regarding Tesla. In fact, for the past month or so, the Tesla related media has been all about auto-pilot. Not your number in the Model 3 delivery queue.

And no, it's not bad customer relations for them to not estimate an arbitrary number that's subject to change.
As far as I can tell, in this forum there are only two people complaining about not knowing their number. One is EaglesPDX and the other was aviators99 who started that thread about cancelling because of not knowing the number. Other than that, while a lot of people would be curious to know the number, I haven't seen actual complaining about it, especially not to the point where people feel it is bad customer service not to release the number, as EaglesPDX likes to claim.

From the push back both here and in the cancellation thread, I think practically everyone else, while curious about their own number, completely understands why Tesla chose not to release it. In the cancellation thread, it is pretty clear aviators99 was expecting to at least find a bunch of people that had a similar position about the number, but instead practically everyone (except EaglesPDX) was on the other side.

As you point out, his "evidence" for his argument is actually pointing to intense interest in the total number of reservations. Someone brought up the point of Apple preorders as a comparison, where a big deal is made out of the total number of preorders, but no one knows their individual reservation number. And others also brought up it is very common to have preorders where you don't know your number in the queue.

Reactions: MassModel3
I can think of dozens of other topic that forum members believe are more important as is evident by how many forum members have indicated why the number its meaningless..

I was going by the threads on this forum such as this one, threads on Tesla's own forum and in the media where there is a very large volume of discussion on where customers are in line, what it means for delivery etc. One of the most talked about topics.

As you say, Musk was tweeting the number of reservations.

It was quite the event, created by the customers, the same customers Tesla doesn't trust to know what number they were in the line. Be fun to know and good customer relations.

No one is asking for any arbitrary number. What people are asking for is what number they were in line from 1-400,000, a number Tesla knows from the date/time stamp of when the orders were received and logged by Tesla. Such a simple, small thing.

It was quite the event, created by the customers, the same customers Tesla doesn't trust to know what number they were in the line. Be fun to know and good customer relations.

No one is asking for any arbitrary number. What people are asking for is what number they were in line from 1-400,000, a number Tesla knows from the date/time stamp of when the orders were received and logged by Tesla. Such a simple, small thing.
Once you know that number, then what?

Once you know that number, then what?

Then we know what part we played in Tesla's most significant event, the transition to mass production EV for the masses. A big industrial event in the 21st century. Fun stuff, why many of us did it.

And good customer relations for Tesla, sharing what information it can with customers who did them such a solid. Tesla can use it later to show people delivery dates by applying the parameters as they come into play, more fun stuff. And Tesla can use it to get people to order more options.

"But honey, if we order the tow package with air suspension, we'll move up 75,000 places and 6 months, we can buy the boat later".

"But honey, if we order the tow package with air suspension, we'll move up 75,000 places and 6 months, we can buy the boat later".

... and then 35,000 of them order the same options, and 50.000 of the people behind you order even more options and you end up 10,000 places behind where you was ;)

But more seriously: the only options that I believe you can count on to move you up the line is "P", bigger battery and "D". Maybe autopilot?