Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to upgrade superseded parts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 MS85. I've driven various newer Model S's and have noticed subtle changes here and there and I'm curious if there's anything I can retrofit into my older MS. Maybe we need a list that shows part number changes.

A few things I'm curious if I can replace
  1. Charger door (newer ones close by themselves and sound much more quiet when magnet/lock turns on to keep it shut).
  2. Door sills (newer ones have brushed stainless plate with Tesla written on them)
  3. Trunk sill (newer cars have chrome)
  4. Instrument screen (newer cars have higher resolution screens)
  5. Steering wheel (newer cars seem to have more firm button scrolling/pressing compared to older wheels)
  6. Rear view camera (newer cars have better image quality)
  7. Brake booster (I am unsure about this as newer cars have "electronic" brakes compared to older hydraulic brakes)
There may be more that I'm missing. Feel free to add to my list as I'm sure I'm missing more items.

Door sills (newer ones have brushed stainless plate with Tesla written on them) should be drop in
Trunk sill (newer cars have chrome) should be drop in
Instrument screen (newer cars have higher resolution screens) drop in swap you will need the newer trim bezel
Steering wheel (newer cars seem to have more firm button scrolling/pressing compared to older wheels) this would require the whole airbag swap I believe
Rear view camera (newer cars have better image quality) drop it swap newer camera is cheaper as well think its $78

Instrument screen (newer cars have higher resolution screens) drop in swap you will need the newer trim bezel
Rear view camera (newer cars have better image quality) drop it swap newer camera is cheaper as well think its $78

Can anyone confirm these two upgrades? Any cost for the instrument screen?
Also, I am curious if you upgraded only the rear camera how much better the image would be? For $80.00 bucks this seems like a no brainer upgrade.

I have a 2014 MS85. I've driven various newer Model S's and have noticed subtle changes here and there and I'm curious if there's anything I can retrofit into my older MS. Maybe we need a list that shows part number changes.

A few things I'm curious if I can replace
  1. Charger door (newer ones close by themselves and sound much more quiet when magnet/lock turns on to keep it shut).
  2. Door sills (newer ones have brushed stainless plate with Tesla written on them)
  3. Trunk sill (newer cars have chrome)
  4. Instrument screen (newer cars have higher resolution screens)
  5. Steering wheel (newer cars seem to have more firm button scrolling/pressing compared to older wheels)
  6. Rear view camera (newer cars have better image quality)
  7. Brake booster (I am unsure about this as newer cars have "electronic" brakes compared to older hydraulic brakes)
There may be more that I'm missing. Feel free to add to my list as I'm sure I'm missing more items.

The charge door cannot be replaced -- we tried and it requires some welding and rivets.
Door and trunk sills are easy.
Steering wheel yes, but is it necessary for the reasons you state?
Rear camera -- easy and you can order one on eBay
Forget the electronic brakes

Reactions: selfbp
my guess is that it would be cheaper to sell the car and buy a new one (even at a loss) than trying to pay to retrofit all of this
The charge door cannot be replaced -- we tried and it requires some welding and rivets.
Door and trunk sills are easy.
Steering wheel yes, but is it necessary for the reasons you state?
Rear camera -- easy and you can order one on eBay
Forget the electronic brakes

I'm most interested in the camera right now, it was much better in my loaner car.

Can anyone confirm these two upgrades? Any cost for the instrument screen?
Also, I am curious if you upgraded only the rear camera how much better the image would be? For $80.00 bucks this seems like a no brainer upgrade.

The center instrument cluster has been documented as being plug and play you just need the newer bezel with the smaller trim - documented by wk057 when he did the autopilot retrofit.

The rear camera upgrade has a whole thread going for it. Confirmed cost from service center for newer hi res camera at $78

Reactions: cmarshack
Steering wheel (newer cars seem to have more firm button scrolling/pressing compared to older wheels) this would require the whole airbag swap I believe

I'm wanting to do all these to my 2012! Do we have part numbers associated with them? I've found instrument clusters and steering wheels/columns on eBay, but no trim bezel and of course I don't know if the screen I'm looking at is in fact higher resolution.

No joy on the camera, either. Are people just ordering that from Tesla directly?

Does replacing the rear view camera absolutely require removing and reattaching the chrome applique? Is there any way to replace it without touch that piece?

I got the amazon camera and tested it while doing my rear dashcam and sound proofing the hatch lid plastic. Definitely looks like you'd need to pull the chrome tesla applique. Also the sensors on the 2013 HD camera and the current auto pilot rear camera are the same. The focal points maybe different which may make it seem likes it's higher res when its not. There is a thread going with a comparison of the 2013 camera, the amazon one, and the autopilot 2 rear cameras. Explains it better than I have.

For $39 the amazon is a great option for when the new front camera switches get produced. Comparing four different front camera setups

I'm wanting to do all these to my 2012! Do we have part numbers associated with them? I've found instrument clusters and steering wheels/columns on eBay, but no trim bezel and of course I don't know if the screen I'm looking at is in fact higher resolution.

No joy on the camera, either. Are people just ordering that from Tesla directly?

thread for the amazon camera and comparison Comparing four different front camera setups