Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Pictures of HPWC Installations (Residential and Commercial)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well done ... what was the installed cost?

Here's my dual HPWC install with a backup 14-50 (just in case something takes out the 'electronic' devices). The interesting thing installed as part of this was a gadget my electrician used to ensure that the subpanel only had either the 100 Amp circuit for the HPWCs, or the 50 Amp circuit for the 14-50 active at one time.

I'd never seen such a simple method of keeping only one breaker on at a time, but this works (I assume, haven't had the inspection yet!) and also would serve as the lockout, as there's a place for a small padlock to keep the 'flipper' from moving when it's set to one side or the other.

Details on the installation: The conduit going up and to the left goes to the main 200 Amp panel; the junction box at the upper right is where the 100 Amp circuit from the subpanel uses three-way taps to break off to feed one of the HPWCs below, and then also goes to the conduit at the top of the junction box to go up over the ceiling to the other HPWC on the other side of the garage. The load-balancing data cable goes between the two HPWCs directly in the same conduit.

(The other 'object' crossing over the conduit is the garage door track.)

Another fact I learned that was interesting is that Tesla Certified Electricians are required to submit photos of their installations back to Tesla to show that everything was done correctly.

I also used the 'Gecko Toes' devices (which I saw elsewhere on TMC) to hold the 25' cables. They work excellently; if you get these (available at Amazon), be sure to get the ones for 'water hoses', and not air hoses or extension cords.

View attachment 218800

View attachment 218801

Well done ... what was the installed cost?
The total with the 14-50 (which included the subpanel and the 'simultaneous lockout' ) and the permit was $2200. If I had just wanted the two HPWCs wired, it would have been $1700. I mainly used them because I wanted someone that had done HPWCs before; too many stories about wrong wire gauges, settings awry, etc. The HPWCs have 2 AWG for the load wiring; the 14-50 has a neutral also to be compliant and so you could use it with something else besides an UMC. All in all an excellent job (done by HavePower in suburban Maryland).

Another shoutout for geckos toes....they are awesome! Allowed me to squeeze mine in between the garage doors.

Attachments

• IMG_2746.JPG
    IMG_2746.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 670
Another shoutout for geckos toes....they are awesome! Allowed me to squeeze mine in between the garage doors.
Definitely love them! Only reason I can see to use the 'built in' storage is if the HPWC is exposed to weather and you want to keep water out of the handle's connecting pins/receptacles. Else, the 'toes' securely hold things in place.

My charging setup at work
Eaton 100 amp two pole breaker
Hubbell ‑ HBLDS10 ‑ Disconnect Switch
Ekm Metering Omnimeter pulse v.4 w/ ekm push
Tesla HPWC at 80 amps
Ran awg 3 for the two line and awg 4 for the ground

Attachments

• IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 554
Reactions: Glebiys
200A / 240V Main Service Panel (not shown... but it's just on the other side of this wall)
100A / 240 Subpanel
100A / 240V breaker for Tesla HPWC
80A / 240V Tesla HPWC

Installed by Tesla approved electrician using "load calc" electrical permit.

eMotorWerks WattBox 200 digital submeter installed as part of SCE's PEV Pilot Program Phase 1 (working great but both the WattBox and PEV Pilot Program Phase 1 now discontinued)

IMG_3291.JPG

eMotorWerks WattBox 200 digital submeter installed. The small grey cable coming from the bottom of the WattBox is the power, not Ethernet, which honestly I would have preferred over the WattBox's legacy 2.4GHz 802.11n WiFi connection which required a WiFi Range Extender to reach this far corner of our garage.
IMG_3385.JPG

Reactions: kash
My dual HPWC install. I think I must have been the only Tesla customer to buy the 8.5' cords. I figured if it was good enough for the Supercharger stalls, then it was good enough for me. I also had the thought that less cable allows for less heat/loss, but I imagine that is negligible for 17' of extra cable. And now I hear they lowered the cost of the 25 foot to be the same as 8.5', so they may never sell another 8.5' charger after mine :).

20160914_003213891_iOS.jpg
20160914_003229994_iOS.jpg

Nice clean installation! One reason I got the longer cables was to be able to use them to a car in the driveway, as I did the day after the install when someone found me on Plugshare! I think the main reason for the short version at Superchargers is to reduce the possibility of damage from getting them run over (especially the handle/wand, etc.).

Reactions: jthompson
@boaterva Can you show me a photo inside your junction box and one inside the HPWC? I’m wondering how you secured the taps or if you used a different method besides floating taps, and also how you routed data plus power inside the HPWC, and how you met code for the sharing the latter in conduit (special cable rating?)

@boaterva Can you show me a photo inside your junction box and one inside the HPWC? I’m wondering how you secured the taps or if you used a different method besides floating taps, and also how you routed data plus power inside the HPWC, and how you met code for the sharing the latter in conduit (special cable rating?)
I’ll get a shot of the taps, didn’t get a chance while the electrician was doing it. For the data cable, as the HPWC manual says, the cable insulation rating just needs to be higher than the AC power level. Say 400 volts?

Reactions: Musterion
22BACA5A-44C9-4B17-AC05-6D47B35217ED.jpeg
I’ll get a shot of the taps, didn’t get a chance while the electrician was doing it. For the data cable, as the HPWC manual says, the cable insulation rating just needs to be higher than the AC power level. Say 400 volts?
Here you go. There’s no support for the cables or the taps, as I suspected, because of the size of the wires.

The two hots enter from the left, along with the ground wire. The ground goes to a stud on the box, and it then goes to the two HPWC conduits. The two hots go to the two taps, and then they go to the the conduits also (top and bottom), feeding down to the HPWC in the other photo and up over the ceiling to the one on the other wall.

• Informative
Reactions: P90D
(sent a message to delete the other post since I found this thread to reply to....)

Got our second HPWC installed today. Both are fed 100A circuits from a 125A subpanel I had installed with the first HPWC about a year ago, and they are configured in a master/slave setup. Either car will pull 72A individually, or when both are plugged in they drop back to 40A each.

I saw a post on reddit that suggested a garden hose clip for cable management, and I used that same item for the new HPWC which is installed in the section between by 2 garage doors - it should do a good job preventing the cable from getting caught up in the garage door tracks, and/or keep it away from the snowblower which sits right under it in the winter.

Here's a link to the clips I got from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KTLP10
Gecko's Toes

A few pics are below, and you can see more at: Second Tesla HPWC Installation

G408GTG.jpg

uc1tXCh.jpg

8uJuBra.jpg

rdZhJkS.jpg

Reactions: Glebiys and Blup85
awesome. I'm guessing the communications cable has to be run in a separate conduit?

It can be run in the same conduit as long as the wire is rated for (I believe) 600V, but my electrician chose to run it separately. In my case both feeds were run to the subpanel so the comm wire would have had to go through the panel to the other HPWC. If you ran both HPWCs off the same circuit with a tap, then it may have made more sense to share the same conduit...