TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Post Pictures of HPWC Installations (Residential and Commercial)

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Solarguy, Feb 20, 2014.

1. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Well done ... what was the installed cost?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

The total with the 14-50 (which included the subpanel and the 'simultaneous lockout' ) and the permit was $2200. If I had just wanted the two HPWCs wired, it would have been $1700. I mainly used them because I wanted someone that had done HPWCs before; too many stories about wrong wire gauges, settings awry, etc. The HPWCs have 2 AWG for the load wiring; the 14-50 has a neutral also to be compliant and so you could use it with something else besides an UMC. All in all an excellent job (done by HavePower in suburban Maryland).

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. kosarfan

kosarfan Member

Another shoutout for geckos toes....they are awesome! Allowed me to squeeze mine in between the garage doors.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. boaterva

Definitely love them! Only reason I can see to use the 'built in' storage is if the HPWC is exposed to weather and you want to keep water out of the handle's connecting pins/receptacles. Else, the 'toes' securely hold things in place.

5. kash

kash Member

My charging setup at work
    Eaton 100 amp two pole breaker
    Hubbell ‑ HBLDS10 ‑ Disconnect Switch
    Ekm Metering Omnimeter pulse v.4 w/ ekm push
    Tesla HPWC at 80 amps
    Ran awg 3 for the two line and awg 4 for the ground

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  6. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Active Member

200A / 240V Main Service Panel (not shown... but it's just on the other side of this wall)
    100A / 240 Subpanel
    100A / 240V breaker for Tesla HPWC
    80A / 240V Tesla HPWC

Installed by Tesla approved electrician using "load calc" electrical permit.

eMotorWerks WattBox 200 digital submeter installed as part of SCE's PEV Pilot Program Phase 1 (working great but both the WattBox and PEV Pilot Program Phase 1 now discontinued)

IMG_3291.JPG
    eMotorWerks WattBox 200 digital submeter installed. The small grey cable coming from the bottom of the WattBox is the power, not Ethernet, which honestly I would have preferred over the WattBox's legacy 2.4GHz 802.11n WiFi connection which required a WiFi Range Extender to reach this far corner of our garage.
    IMG_3385.JPG

• Like x 1
  7. scharlesjr

scharlesjr Member

@scottfl can you give details on your set up. Thanks.

8. kash

kash Member

9. scharlesjr

scharlesjr Member

image4.JPG IMG_1851.JPG Install of my HPWC, outdoor NEMA 14-50 receptacle and new PEV meter enclosure was completed today. Now just need the car!!!!

• Like x 3
  10. scottfl

scottfl Member

11. jason1466

jason1466 Member

My dual HPWC install. I think I must have been the only Tesla customer to buy the 8.5' cords. I figured if it was good enough for the Supercharger stalls, then it was good enough for me. I also had the thought that less cable allows for less heat/loss, but I imagine that is negligible for 17' of extra cable. And now I hear they lowered the cost of the 25 foot to be the same as 8.5', so they may never sell another 8.5' charger after mine :).

20160914_003213891_iOS.jpg 20160914_003229994_iOS.jpg

• Like x 3
  12. boaterva

Nice clean installation! One reason I got the longer cables was to be able to use them to a car in the driveway, as I did the day after the install when someone found me on Plugshare! I think the main reason for the short version at Superchargers is to reduce the possibility of damage from getting them run over (especially the handle/wand, etc.).

• Like x 1
  13. Blup85

Blup85 Member

20170911_205909.jpg Single 80 amp charger. Hopefully someday I'll split to two 40amp shared chargers ;) And I have my new flooring in which is awesome! Thanks to whoever started the gecko wire orgnizer!

• Like x 3
  14. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

@boaterva Can you show me a photo inside your junction box and one inside the HPWC? I’m wondering how you secured the taps or if you used a different method besides floating taps, and also how you routed data plus power inside the HPWC, and how you met code for the sharing the latter in conduit (special cable rating?)

15. boaterva

I’ll get a shot of the taps, didn’t get a chance while the electrician was doing it. For the data cable, as the HPWC manual says, the cable insulation rating just needs to be higher than the AC power level. Say 400 volts?

• Like x 1
  16. boaterva

22BACA5A-44C9-4B17-AC05-6D47B35217ED.jpeg
    Here you go. There’s no support for the cables or the taps, as I suspected, because of the size of the wires.

The two hots enter from the left, along with the ground wire. The ground goes to a stud on the box, and it then goes to the two HPWC conduits. The two hots go to the two taps, and then they go to the the conduits also (top and bottom), feeding down to the HPWC in the other photo and up over the ceiling to the one on the other wall.

• Informative x 1
  17. sc123

sc123 Member

(sent a message to delete the other post since I found this thread to reply to....)

Got our second HPWC installed today. Both are fed 100A circuits from a 125A subpanel I had installed with the first HPWC about a year ago, and they are configured in a master/slave setup. Either car will pull 72A individually, or when both are plugged in they drop back to 40A each.

I saw a post on reddit that suggested a garden hose clip for cable management, and I used that same item for the new HPWC which is installed in the section between by 2 garage doors - it should do a good job preventing the cable from getting caught up in the garage door tracks, and/or keep it away from the snowblower which sits right under it in the winter.

Here's a link to the clips I got from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KTLP10
    Gecko's Toes

A few pics are below, and you can see more at: Second Tesla HPWC Installation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  18. Blup85

Blup85 Member

awesome. I'm guessing the communications cable has to be run in a separate conduit?

19. sc123

sc123 Member

It can be run in the same conduit as long as the wire is rated for (I believe) 600V, but my electrician chose to run it separately. In my case both feeds were run to the subpanel so the comm wire would have had to go through the panel to the other HPWC. If you ran both HPWCs off the same circuit with a tap, then it may have made more sense to share the same conduit...

20. kash

kash Member

how do you liek the vac? and how did you suspend the ladder like that?