Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your Garage charging setup!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my install in a high rise condo. The charger is connected to an existing condo panel two levels up, about 280 feet away. 40A breaker at 208V.
There is a meter to keep track of the usage and it will be checked annually by the property manager.
View attachment 342807

Is the charger coded to your car? Can't a neighbor come mooch some free juice while you're away ;)?

Attachments

• 20191008_085657.jpg
    20191008_085657.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 187
View attachment 329410 View attachment 329406 I park in my garage. Had my 2nd HPWC installed, a signature black referral gift in anticipation of our Model 3 in Early September. Each charger is on its own dedicated 60Amp breaker.
Those of you who have installed a HPWC without using a conduit on the wall, can you explain your choice of wire? I'd like to mount my HPWC on the wall a couple of feet from the electrical panel in my garage and was planning to cut a strip of drywall to drill the studs and run wires through them from the panel, however I'm not sure which wire I can use in order to be able to set my HPWC to 48a. 6-2 Romex is cheap but would be limited to 40A by code. Individual conductors would support 48a but need to be run in conduit (which would be a pain to run through studs), and the only other choices at my local Home Depot are multiple-conductor service entrance wires, and they are usually aluminum.

What kind of wire have you all used?

I added 14 Tesla panels to the originals that were here when I bought the house. I also had 2 Powerwalls put in last December, I tried to get panels then too but Tesla had a period where they weren’t doing flat roofs, the Powerwall installers informed me that these was a dedicated flat roof crew so those guys did the install in June.
81A497ED-5CFE-412F-8EE1-B3BBEE3F5121.jpeg

Easy,

1. park or don't park your Tesla in your garage.
2. snap a photo of your charger setup in your garage
3. comment on what you did and why
4. discuss

I've just refinished my garage and I'm looking for inspiration for my charging setup, myself.

Attachments

• 9A1B695A-4127-495A-B611-E3B01AD37A86.jpeg
    9A1B695A-4127-495A-B611-E3B01AD37A86.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 135
  • CEA12300-80EA-4A1E-9F30-F8DE8E36A00B.jpeg
    CEA12300-80EA-4A1E-9F30-F8DE8E36A00B.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 156
This will be closest to mine!

We live in a rental apartment building. The manager is allowing us to move parking spots and pay to install a 120V outlet at it (don't even ask about 240v, the building is very old, each apartment still has a little insulated box outside our door for the milkman.) We don't drive much, so trickle charge should be fine, topped up when out at some place with a supercharger or Level 2.

I've enjoyed looking at the setups here since we are trying to think of how to attach our charger to the wall so it won't be stolen while we're out. We intend to buy a second adapter so we can just unplug and go.

We don't have a lot of options, just a wall in front of us, and other tenants on either side. The overhead rig caught my eye as a possibility. At the moment we are thinking of ways of camouflaging the setup so it looks like something that belongs to the building electrical, not us.

I have a NEMA 14-50 socket and one of the (discontinued) wall chargers with a 14-50 pigtail and plug. Unfortunately, the charger will only do about 15A (240V) since it indicates overheating and reduces power. I set the car to charge at 1AM so it does not conflict with most other electrical load. ($0.08625/KWh) My house main floor is about 3 feet above ground, I have a50A breaker (on 100A service) 30 foot run from the panel in the basement, then the wire goes through the wall to the attached garage. It was 8Ga but we re-ran it with 6Ga. Theoretically it will do 40A continuous now. There's about 2 feet vertically in conduit to the outlet box. I replaced the el cheapo Home Depot plug that had a melt-down (loose connection?) with a Hubell 9450 plug (about $160) but still get the overheat warning on the charger.

The thing that gets me - some pretty garages. How do you handle the snow buildup? I have an insulated garage (but no heat). Every winter I get huge puddles in the garage and a few times each winter have to vacuum up the water and dump it at the curb. Every spring I use an ice chipper tool to scrape off the accumulated piles mud that is mixed in with the slush that attaches to the bottom of the car and drips off the wheel wells.

I contemplated drilling a hole in the garage floor to drain the puddle, not sure if that's a good idea...? Presumably then the water would seep into the weeping tiles and out the sump pump...

Mine is simple. I have one charger at each house on the right-hand wall just as you enter, if I have space in the garage I simply pull in and walk the cable from the base to other side of the car and plug-in, or I back up to the garage door and park outside and run the cable under the door with a little piece of wood to stop the door from crushing the cable. On the outside of the door, I have one of those 3D printed Tesla charger holders mounted on the wall. If I am leaving the cord outside after I charge I can hang it up there.

At the house I also have DIY solar so I am driving on sunshine. At the cabin, I always fear a neighbor will figure out they can charge while I am away and we are often away, so I move the cord inside when we leave. Best part is if I charge on the expensive cabin electricity to 50%, the lowest amount I can automatically charge to, I can get all the way home with a bit more than 10% remaining, perfect. Started using the automatic charge recently where it charges for when we think we will leave in the morning. That's really nice. Not having a commute I hadn't tried that before. Next step is to figure out the auto park in the garage:

1E7B5A4D-2A47-41CC-A68C-958DF131649A.jpeg

I put a pulley in the rafters. When I’m not using the cord it wraps around those hooks on the plywood, up and out of the way. The counterweight off to the left edge of the photo is a bird feeder and a little planter full of rocks. You can see the mobile connector up in the rafters of the carport. This is so I could park in either spot and plug in. Plan to spray paint that plywood soon. I pull down that rope and that plywood on hinges comes down, I wrap the cord around two hooks, and it stores it in the rafters out of the way.

What to get:
=========

Yes4All heavy bag wall mount:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4AQ0KK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hubbell BD-03 3lb tool balancer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0E1X2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bewishome locking carabiner:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JH73ZLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EVchargesolutions cord clamp, needs metal pen shaft over suspension point to protect from balancer metal clip,
needs 3mm neoprene pads for the two halves to grab the UMC cable tightly:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BU789PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Voila! The other side is a high traffic area and the garage door track is too high to balance the connector over it (6'6" at least). The hook on the garage door hinge is just superimposed.
20210109_142934-jpg.626176

Reactions: Lon12