Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They allow up to 110% of your usage, but I think its since the smaller 5.78 kW system produces an estimated 7400 kWH. The thing with waiting is I don't want install pushed to 2021 and potentially miss fed tax credit and my states adjustable block program. I wonder if a price drop on 2021 will come to account for the tax credit drop. The state incentive could go away altogether, who knows.

lol

Isn't the price for the 8.16 $16,400 (today it is at least). Changes the calculations slightly. I'm looking into solar as well in IL. I'm on ComEd as well - their RRTP plan. The state incentive coupled with the federal credit, makes solar within reach for most people.

Reactions: jboy210
Regarding the number of tiles, I got the distinct feeling that is something they tweak even during the install. In your case hopeful this means they get up there and add a few more active tiles. They did that with our roof and it is causing a bit of an issue since the permit list of number of tiles and system output don't exactly match reality. So they are having to update the permit, even after the system is installed and can fully operate. And we are going through another permit approval revision cycle, which means we cannot get final inspection, pay Tesla the remaining 50%, and get PTO.

Ok this is what I was hoping to hear , that they might just show up with extra tiles to the install , because I wouldn't want them to be like gee it's too bad we didn't actually do a site visit and figure this out earlier or else we would have brought more active tiles. Do you think they just adjust your contract price if they install more tiles?

It looks to me like that north facing side suffers from, well, being not only north facing but at an angle. That's why when tiles were moved from the south facing side you lost estimated production.

From what other posters have said Tesla's site inspection is where they finalize the placement.

So far I have heard nothing about having a site inspection, I have seen that this is the way it is done in California, but I don't know of anyone that has gotten a site inspection done on the East coast .... They have already requested the permits from the town for my install., so I'm still just half expecting them to show up one day for the install. (wishful thinking) Maybe I'm jumping the gun or they jumped the gun with the permits and it will still be months. As far as I know I have only seen one installed in the state recently.

Just wrapped up my install. Installers were incredible. Lead Installer noticed some spacing issues from layout and asked me if I was ok moving three panels from the North to the East. I couldn't say yes fast enough. He made a call to the engineer team and changes were approved. Here is the layout and finished product. If you are thinking about it, just pull the trigger.
Layout.jpg
DJI_0049.JPG

I'm in Maryland and they came out and did a physical site inspection of my roof and panel about 2 weeks after I ordered.
Interesting - they (to my knowledge) never did a site visit for me. When I first started moving forward with them (late summer 2019,) they said they planned to come out and fly a drone to get images. However, living in the DC area, it turns out they needed FAA approvals that they apparently had trouble getting. Eventually, they decided satellite images were sufficient, and as far as I am aware, they did not come out until they started the prokect.

• Informative
Reactions: preilly44
Weird... I ordered in March , no site visit yet. Normally I would say that's not a good sign but since they say they are waiting for permits I'll just have to see what happens next.

If your municipality is like ours, they are working at about 1/3 the speed on permits as they were pre-pandemic. Talking to a few people, the said they are all working from home over somewhat unreliable VPN. They are having to juggle parenting duties with work. And to make matter worse, a lot of the older long time employees that were eligible for partial pensions left. Because their hours had been reduced during the hard construction stops, and they could make more on the partial pension.

I haven’t had a site visit here on Oahu either. Ordered mid-June. Don’t think I will either as the building permit is approved and waiting on interconnect approval to schedule install. Was wondering if that’s par for the course or not. Sounds like it varies.

I never had a site visit either. I ordered in May and got installed in June and install day was the first time anyone from Tesla set foot on my property.

I never had a site visit either. I ordered in May and got installed in June and install day was the first time anyone from Tesla set foot on my property.

Definitely different for us and the SolarRoof. There was a 4 hour visit before they finalized our design. Even though we sent pictures, the guy went over every single box electrical box in the house. He went in the attic to assess construction, wiring, etc. He opened up the electric boxes and took some readings. He was wearing protective helmet and apron when he had the box open. He also flew a drone over the home to verify the condition of the existing roof, vents, gutter, etc. Not sure if they do this for all SolarRoof installs. We were part of the first 100 install program for the V3 roof installs.

Definitely different for us and the SolarRoof.

Yeah, I feel like the solar roof is probably a more complicated install and seems like it would be more likely to require a site visit to check things out and do some preplanning. With solar panels it seems like it’s a bit more standardized and you’re not trying to figure out how to apply glass shingles on the ridges and valleys and around the vents and such.

With solar panels it seems like it’s a bit more standardized and you’re not trying to figure out how to apply glass shingles on the ridges and valleys and around the vents and such.

I wonder why they did a site visit in my case, then. I'm only getting a 12.24 kW panel system. Not even Powerwalls.

My home is about 30 years old, maybe they were concerned about the panel from the photos I sent in?

Definitely different for us and the SolarRoof. There was a 4 hour visit before they finalized our design. Even though we sent pictures, the guy went over every single box electrical box in the house. He went in the attic to assess construction, wiring, etc. He opened up the electric boxes and took some readings. He was wearing protective helmet and apron when he had the box open. He also flew a drone over the home to verify the condition of the existing roof, vents, gutter, etc. Not sure if they do this for all SolarRoof installs. We were part of the first 100 install program for the V3 roof installs.
We did have the electrician for the solar roof, but no drone (due to the FAA issue) and nobody came out to inspect the roof - the electrician didn't take any photos that I saw or get up on a ladder. (So I should have been more clear in my prior post that no site visit for the roof portion - just to look at the electrical situation.) It may have helped that we have a simple gable roof so there wasn't a ton of measuring really needed, so existing aerial/satellite imagery was good enough.

I wonder why they did a site visit in my case, then. I'm only getting a 12.24 kW panel system. Not even Powerwalls.

My home is about 30 years old, maybe they were concerned about the panel from the photos I sent in?

It may just be a locality thing. Perhaps the site visit or more info that can be gathered from a photo is required for a permit where you are, or maybe the local team just prefers to know what they’re getting into. Or like you said, maybe there were some questions about your specific panel or how things were wired in your system.

Just signed up (for an 8.16KW system) and the proposed layout is totally confusing. My house is long and the back side faces azimuth 205 (ssw). It's perfect for peak production on my EV2-A rate. Yet the proposal has 3.4 KW(10 of the panels) on the east side of my garage (azimuth 115). The 4.76 kW(14) panels on the SSW side of the garage are perfect. Not sure why they didn't spec the other 10 on SSW facing roof surfaces. Not only would the production be about 350KW more per year for that 3.4KW portion, but the peak production for NEM would net me about 30% more.

I've asked them to redo it and I'm sure they will but I can't think of any reason why it was proposed like this in the first place unless it was just for less labor on the install.

Capture.PNG
Inkedarialshot_LI.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in Maryland and they came out and did a physical site inspection of my roof and panel about 2 weeks after I ordered.
I'm in Maryland as well and went through the full picture process first. After a couple days they scheduled an appointment for an in person site survey (on a Saturday). The tech looked over everything from the pictures, but also went onto the roof, into my attic, etc.