Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Autopilot "Error"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a video I found on Reddit. It seems the driver is fiddling with his camera. However at first glance it does appear that the car was headed towards the other side of the road, at least temporarily.

What do you guys (or gals) see in the video?
Tesla AutoPilot tried to kill me! - YouTube
Reddit post. Notice title: Video: Tesla AutoPilot tried to kill me! Testing Tesla's newly released software for my Model S, the AutoPilot feature, almost resulted in my violent demise. : teslamotors

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong. But the first time it breached the double-yellow I didn't hear an alert.

Last edited:
I see someone stupid enough not to take control of his vehicle when the autopilot told him to because it couldn't figure out what was going on, someone who ignored a minimum of 5 different prompts to keep his hands on the wheel...

Well. I don't see it that way at all. The multiple beeps came late as it veered into the incoming traffic. It did once cross over the yellow line a few seconds before the potential accident and there was no audible warning or request of the driver to hold the steering wheel. Hence this is a beta version. Be careful everyone and stay attentive to the road. I enjoyed my autopilot yesterday but it's only a beta. It's not perfect... Yet (likely won't be for years to come).

Well. I don't see it that way at all. The multiple beeps came late as it veered into the incoming traffic. It did once cross over the yellow line a few seconds before the potential accident and there was no audible warning or request of the driver to hold the steering wheel. Hence this is a beta version. Be careful everyone and stay attentive to the road. I enjoyed my autopilot yesterday but it's only a beta. It's not perfect... Yet (likely won't be for years to come).
I didn't see his hands on the wheel, he clicked the box saying he would do so, he also ignored the warning when AP started that told him to keep his hands on the wheel, he didn't take over when the car told him to, he ignored the release notes. I'm sorry, the car has ZERO fault here, it is 100% driver error.

Potential Autopilot "Error"

The video title "Tesla Autopilot tried to kill me" is inaccurate, ill-considered, and inflammatory. It's software. Nothing is trying to "kill" him. That is absurd.
The driver was using Autopilot in a use case -- narrow, curvy, two lane road with no barrier between lanes -- that Tesla says it is not designed for.

Reading the Reddit comments it appears that the driver is getting roasted, and deservedly so.

Here are a couple of videos from a fwy that's under construction, autopilot doesn't like faded/sandblasted lines or k-rails right on the line. For both videos, I had my hands on the wheel and was ready to take over. I should also note that the speed limit is 45 mph (although I was going 70).

Last edited by a moderator:
Driver's like 'RockTreeStar' ..... in the OP's post scare the **** out of me, notice how instead of dropping the camera in his right hand, he grabs the steering wheel solely with his left hand, at the top of the wheel, like he's some baller player. Kid needs to get some tickets and a smack in the face to wake up. It's driver's like him that DONT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS OR UPDATES (that part when i read it in the comments below the video made me rage) that are the ones responsible for killing entire innocent families. Not sure WHO he is, but he's a douchebag.

Scroll down and read his posts, won't take long, inspires you about humanity.

That second video was foolish. Why put your car and/or lives at risk for a silly stunt like that. You can find edge cases galore if you go looking for them. The responsible thing to do is to use Autopilot in those conditions that are suitable to it - and pay attention at all times.

If someone comes up behind you going 50 kph faster and you activate the lane change feature and cut them off, there's no way the car will see it coming. You need to look first. These are cars with driver aids, not driverless cars.

That second video was foolish. Why put your car and/or lives at risk for a silly stunt like that. You can find edge cases galore if you go looking for them. The responsible thing to do is to use Autopilot in those conditions that are suitable to it - and pay attention at all times.

If someone comes up behind you going 50 kph faster and you activate the lane change feature and cut them off, there's no way the car will see it coming. You need to look first. These are cars with driver aids, not driverless cars.

Seems like most people literally don't hear that last part, in one ear, out the other.