Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the current model range, the P cars have large rear motor, vs two small motors in the standard 'D' cars, so the P cars have a moderate efficiency disadvantage. That doesn't apply to the early (RWD) 'P' cars, where I believe the motor was mechanically the same as the non-P versions, just with higher-rated drive electronics.

Another factor applying to all vintages is that the 'P' cars were supplied as standard with 21" wheels and comparatively sticky tyres, while the non-P cars have 19" wheels and tyres more optimised for range.

Buying used, you could obviously change the wheels/tyres after purchase, possibly at minimum/no cost if you can find someone who wants to swap for whom bling is more important than range, but off-the-shelf the P cars will be at a range disadvantage.

• Informative
Reactions: MagicMagicD
Ok guys so I had a test drive yesterday...

I’m impressed! I’ve pretty much decided I’ll be making the move to a Tesla :)

I’ve also just seen there is a planned supercharger on the A55 in Rhyl which will help massively :)

Thoughts on this one please chaps?

85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSB3H10EFP37161 | Tesla UK

Looks good to me. Good performance, good paint colour interior combo with alcantara and nappa. Red calipers. Powered tailgate. Smart air suspension. Dual charger. It’s not a facelift model but if that doesn’t bother you I’d get it! :D

Pre AP so too expensive really, not just because it doesn’t have AP but because the cars continually improve the newer they are. A P85+ was once upon a time a cult car but no longer, it’s also the least efficient 85 you can buy.

At 50k I’d be trying to get an 85D with next gen seats.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Looks like I need some schooling on the various facelifts etc.

I thought there was only one facelift (new front end) and the seats where the same?

I’d like AP but it’s not a deal breaker, I’d really want the following though....
-Air suspension
-21” wheels
-Panoramic roof
-Tech package
-Red calipers (Same on normal model? Just need painting red?)
-Carbon spoiler (Available to fit afterwards?)
-Full/Extended leather
-0-60mph of around 4.0 secs

Open to offers guys but £50k really is my budget unfortunately!

I’d like AP but it’s not a deal breaker

Here's my 2p-worth:

For the high mileage you do IME AP1 would make a big difference to your own personal wear-and-tear. From memory it was a £1,500 option back then, so probably worth "nothing" secondhand ...

I’d really want the following though
Air suspension

Hmmm ... that big a deal? I drove a demonstrator with Air and was not impressed enough for must-have.

21” wheels

You definitely don't want them ... sorry! ... you need max range. Much more expensive on tires too, and easily "bent" on potholes etc.

Red calipers (Same on normal model? Just need painting red?)

Are they Standard on the "P" model? P-model is going to be tight for range for you too :( Red-hammerite perhaps? :rolleyes:

Carbon spoiler (Available to fit afterwards?)

I've seen aftermarket ones

0-60mph of around 4.0 secs

Bigger battery will help you there - so bigger battery in standard form will come close to matching P-Insane 0-60 in smaller battery - and the standard form, bigger-battery,model will have better range too.

Here's my 2p-worth:

For the high mileage you do IME AP1 would make a big difference to your own personal wear-and-tear. From memory it was a £1,500 option back then, so probably worth "nothing" secondhand ...

Hmmm ... that big a deal? I drove a demonstrator with Air and was not impressed enough for must-have.

You definitely don't want them ... sorry! ... you need max range. Much more expensive on tires too, and easily "bent" on potholes etc.

Are they Standard on the "P" model? P-model is going to be tight for range for you too :( Red-hammerite perhaps? :rolleyes:

I've seen aftermarket ones

Bigger battery will help you there - so bigger battery in standard form will come close to matching P-Insane 0-60 in smaller battery - and the standard form, bigger-battery,model will have better range too.

It will definitely need to have the 21" wheels and air suspension. I'm massively into the appearance of my cars so the bigger wheels and ability to lower the suspension when i want to really appeals to me. I feel the 19's massively let the appearance of the car down.

I'll happily remove the calipers and just have them painted/powdercoated, are they the same size etc or bigger on the performance models?

After having a look online, the 85D seems to be out of budget :(

There have been continual upgrades but as you say only one exterior facelift. The seats in that car will be relatively flat with little side support - that’s one of the main improvements going to the next gen seats - take a look on autotrader for better pictures. It’s the P car in it’s day but things move on. I don’t know why you want air, it’s not adaptive or anything like that, you can just change ride height.AP hardware gives you the later dash graphics, you don’t need a car with it enabled but you can later on if you wanted if the hardware is there, with that car you can’t. Earlier cars only got things like DAB with the hifi if that matters to you. The 85D will be quicker , my old 90D which was essentiallly the same could hit 60 in under 4s, possibly not as exciting as the D cars are more sure footed, that car would be a lively rear wheel drive. It’s your money, only you need to like it.

not as exciting as the D cars are more sure footed

I've driven a RWD Loaner and I hated it (compared to the D). On damp roads it squirmed all over the place. There ... showing my age AGAIN!. The D is very sure footed and I love that. Roundabout with lights, taking the first exit which is a sliproad up to dual carriage way. Doing a launch from light into what is effectively a tight turn always impresses the heck out of both me and my passengers!

Personally I wouldn't be without the D in Winter (and fit winter tyres too)

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Have you tried one of the EV Trip Planner sites to check for range etc?

You should be able to put in your "averagely worst journey" with waypoints and see if you can get home starting with 100% charge. They let you choose Model/Tire size etc. You could also try 110% and 90% speed-factor to see what difference that would make (from memory a 5 MPH reduction is about 10% more range) and try temperatures close to freezing.

ABetterRoutePlanner.com
EVTripPlanner.com

Reactions: M4guy
Looks nice, its a 7 seater by they can remove the seats if not required but if it didn't have 7 seats to start with then I believe they couldn't be added.

Check what the 'remainder of Telsa warranty' actually is. If its just the battery and motor then that'll be the usual 8 year so up to 5/6 years left but not sure if there would be any new/used limited warranty unless you can transfer it (something nice to get if buying direct from Tesla) but if it has it then looks good.

Have a look on here Tesla MS and MX cars for sale in the UK change the Seller filter at the bottom to Autotrader and then scroll down to the price of 56850 and it'll show you info on the right about the car - whether that is helpful or not who knows but nice to look :) If the image works then below is what was shown:

upload_2017-11-19_20-6-28.png

I’ll be changing the site soon, the 3rd party plug in runs too slowly for my tastes at times. I think that’s the Hilmoren car, They’ve been known to buy ex Tesla stock, I bought my second car from them which was (long story), nothing wrong with them but they don’t understand the cars, they did get mine serviced by Tesla before I took delivery. Tan is a marmite colour, they’re always cheaper as they’re harder to sell, but that can work to your advantage as that car would be £5k more with a black interior.

Reactions: M4guy
I’ll be changing the site soon, the 3rd party plug in runs too slowly for my tastes at times. I think that’s the Hilmoren car, They’ve been known to buy ex Tesla stock, I bought my second car from them which was (long story), nothing wrong with them but they don’t understand the cars, they did get mine serviced by Tesla before I took delivery. Tan is a marmite colour, they’re always cheaper as they’re harder to sell, but that can work to your advantage as that car would be £5k more with a black interior.
I must say it wouldn’t be my first choice for interior colour, but I don’t mind it at all :)