Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potentially getting solar panels -- NEMA 14-50 vs inverter charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Sandiegodoug; I am installing a 10.8kw solar panel system, and was wanting to self-install a nema 14-50 on my PV inverter’s output. It seems straight forward. But would grid electricity (non-solar panel generated electricity) back flow to the nema 14-50? Do you use grid-provided electricity at a different plug for charging when the sun isn’t out? I ask because I am working on installing my own 30 panel 10.8kw system here in Scottsdale, AZ. Any help is appreciated! -Jay
My 14/50 basically replaced my electric dryer breakers only larger wire from my garage to breakers . Solar system was installed before I had a Tesla. At night, I use power company power, during day , while I’m charging my Tesla, less goes back to the grid. Here , we are on a net plan.my goal
Is 0 at my yearly true up bill. I do not have a separate meter for ev.

Good thread (my first contribution here on TMC)! I've just completed installing my 22 x 320W Silfab panel system (7.25kWh) with the SolarEdge 7600HD Single Phase Inverter/EVC. The advantage of the combined Inverter/Charger looks to be a solid investment (it was offered as a package through Solar-4-America/PetersenDean here in the SF Bay Area).

What I like about the SE-7600HD is that I can direct Solar DC to EV DC without DC/AC conversion and with minimal loss to the plug, and on a bright sunny day like today a Model 3LR will get a rapid charge directly from del sol ☀️! My SE-7600HD is connected to a 40A Dual-CB at my main panel and is rated 32A max load at peak draw. SolarEdge rates the unit at 9.6 kW 40A@ 240Vac Max.

I know this isn't as sexy as the power adjustable Tesla N14-50 EVSE at 48A looks, but I'd rather have the opportunity to send EV charging directly from the panels, batteries or grid on my own. I think the cost to output ratio of 20-30mph charge rate of the $1,200 7600HD is reasonable vs. 30-44mph with the Tesla kit ($600 + ~$900 240V Circuit + your $$ own Inverter connection). Since the SE is a combo unit I avoid having to run a separate new 240V circuit to the garage and piggyback off the conduit coming from the SolarEdge junction box at the roof. Obviously every installation has it's own needs/quirks, but I think the SE combo unit is a smart option and certainly a clean install.

I'll have to report back on my future experience with this new system, but looks like I'll be able to offset quite a bit with home charging. Taking advantage of the Fed/Local tax credits was key in my decision to pull the trigger on the full system and benefit from the integration at the start!

-M@

Attachments

• SolarEdge 7600HD Install.jpg
    SolarEdge 7600HD Install.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 113
I just looked at the SolarEdge + eV offer again. It seems to offer these advantages:

9.6 kW max EV charge rate
Clean install, Less wiring
The EVSE is also eligible for the 30% federal tax credit

So perhaps it is an attractive option after all if the price is not high and the location of the inverter and EVSE fits the customer's wishes. I personally am not a fan of inverter placement in a hot garage e.g., buy ymmv.