Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potholes... will Autopilot see them...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about autopilot driving my X into a pothole. Some snow over the last couple months has resulted in some seriously deep potholes. If autopilot is steering and I don't see a pothole, will the car? And would it scoot over a bit if there was room in the lane to avoid it?

I do think this is something that will be improved upon. With full autonomy or anything close to that potholes should be detected. One of the reasons i don't use AP when going thru NYC is the potholes. It's like a slalom course at this time of year :)

I do think this is something that will be improved upon. With full autonomy or anything close to that potholes should be detected. One of the reasons i don't use AP when going thru NYC is the potholes. It's like a slalom course at this time of year :)
Exactly! I hope this feature gets implemented soon. I would think that, like you said, autonomy will require it.

Agree. I think AP is like a student driver just learning to drive a car. It is in about it's second day's lesson. Avoiding potholes is something it learns after lots of safety stuff.

• Funny
Reactions: FarmerDave
Agree. I think AP is like a student driver just learning to drive a car. It is in about it's second day's lesson. Avoiding potholes is something it learns after lots of safety stuff.
Reminds me of teaching my son to drive and he just drives right over those suckers. He then tells me to stop yelling at him, i'm making him nervous. :)