Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. Opinions please. I feel as though if I do the darker grey powder coat that I would have to do something about the chrome on the car. What do people think about the grey and about the remaining chrome?

nopowder.jpg

powder.jpg

OK. Opinions please. I feel as though if I do the darker grey powder coat that I would have to do something about the chrome on the car. What do people think about the grey and about the remaining chrome?

View attachment 21449
View attachment 21450

If you didn't mention the silver, I would have said it looks fine. But since you mentioned it, I see your point. Did you do this on Photoshop? Could you do exactly the same thing with a Silver car with 19's? That is what I'm considering and it would be great to actually see how it would look.

If you didn't mention the silver, I would have said it looks fine. But since you mentioned it, I see your point. Did you do this on Photoshop? Could you do exactly the same thing with a Silver car with 19's? That is what I'm considering and it would be great to actually see how it would look.

I did it in Photoshop. I think I will take gg's advice and take my renderings to a couple rim shops around town and elicit opinions. If I end up doing it, I'll try it on before I see if I need to deal with the chrome.

With chrome covered in grey (couldn't quite get the area around the mirror right -- ignore. Also, below door trim)
powde2r.jpg

Here are the silver mock-ups (and green for gg).

green.jpg

silver-grey.jpg

silver-silver.jpg

As I surf around the TMC forums I am constantly impressed with the degree to which, shall we say, mileage varies, when it comes to wheel-color tastes. My own sentiments have been influenced greatly by my currently-owned car, an Audi, and my previous, a Mercedes, both of which had a tendency to produce so much black brake dust that the wheels would turn black in a month or so if I didn't clean them. So when I see all these photos of beautiful Teslas with shiny wheels and folks going oooh-ahh when said Tesla owners change to darkened wheels that look like my Audi or my old Benz I can't help but chuckle a bit. :) Different strokes....

You have a point there, brainstorms; my wife's Mini's silver wheels could pass off for dark alloys if the car doesn't get a wash for a few weeks. And, it's not pretty at all.

I think it's just this constant urge among the obsessed folks on here (including me, for sure!) to continue to do something to tweak the car now that we have it after a long and arduous wait ;)

@Kevin
Hopefully not stepping on your toes. I thought I'd explore this a bit with Paint.Net, and figured you might like the results.

MutedChromeBlue_Dark1.png

MutedChromeBlue_Middle2.png

MutedChromeBlue_Light3.png

I can pick other intermediate shades of darkness for the affected spots (battery tray, handles, window trim, and wheels) by just adjusting a slider for the layer. Let me know if you (or others) would like a slightly different rendering.

Thanks, brianman! Photoshop is obviously not my strong suit, but I enjoy fiddling with it from time to time :).

I'm digging the one in the middle. It's a nice shade of grey; the first (darkest) one IMHO goes better with the black MS. Anyway, I gave my MS a good bath today, cleaned the wheels and put some nice gloss on the tires. Not too shabby with the silver wheels...decisions, decisions...

Here are some pics with the T sticker on my center caps. It's looks good, but I might end just painting them black...

View attachment 21509View attachment 21510
View attachment 21509View attachment 21510[/QUOTE]

Have you considered Plasti-Dip for the centercaps? I'm powdercoating my 19's and plan on Plasti-Dipping the centercaps and the top of the lug nuts since those two items have the potential to get scrapped/used the most. In case of a ding or scrape you can just peel the rest off (since those items are so small) and re-spray them in a matter of minutes as opposed to taking paint off and repainting.

I'm just going to leave them as is since its my wife's car i really don't have too much of a vested interest in changing them. She also told me that she perfers the style this way, I would of went the other way with them...I would also never buy myself a regular model S either LOL.

I just do what i'm told and figured once they get all the upgrades on either the model x or the s get incorporated that i want I might take the plunge, but for now I'm happy with my lexus that has the black center caps :)

Ken

I'm just going to leave them as is since its my wife's car i really don't have too much of a vested interest in changing them. She also told me that she perfers the style this way, I would of went the other way with them...I would also never buy myself a regular model S either LOL.

I just do what i'm told and figured once they get all the upgrades on either the model x or the s get incorporated that i want I might take the plunge, but for now I'm happy with my lexus that has the black center caps :)

Ken

Do you have any pics of your car from a distance, so we can see the whole car? I've got Dolphin Gray and have been (slowly) contemplating powder coating my 19s--want to see how they look.

Todd did you see page 8 of this thread or do you want some additional photos as well?

ken

Ken, thanks for posting on this. I would also luv to see more pics of the grey with the powder coated wheels. I saw the pix on page 8 but would be great to see a few more in bright daylight and a few different angles. I can't tell if that's grey or black you coated them. I have the dolphin grey with 19's and regret not getting the 21" greys. I think they look wicked cool. My only issue is I still think the 19's look too small on the S. I wish the wheel well was a bit smaller. I had 19's on my Audi s4 prior and loved the way they looked but they were wider 19's. Are you happy you did it? Thx, Keith

Keith,

I'm traveling this week so I will post some more photos this weekend. I will instead answer your questions. The color is black and I did look at several different shades, but found this one the most aggressive looking and my wife choose this color/shade. As for the rim size I'm glad we choose the 19 because I find the ride a lot more comfortable than the 21 and yes I have rode in both several times. I did consider upgrading to 20 and that would be the biggest wheel i would put on the car due to cost and ride comfort, however, I was tried of spending money and this was a much affordable route.

If it was my car perhaps I might of put on the 20s but its not so this made more sense to me :)

I'll post some photos this weekend.

ken