Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much battery consumption did you experience camping overnight?

• More than 75% | I got stranded in the wilderness and had to get a tow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-75%

• 25-49%

• 10-14%

• 5-9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to briefly share a couple experiences I've had camping in my 2015 Tesla Model S 85D. Back in February 2020 I went out into the mountains with my 5 year old daughter to test it out on the coldest night in the 10 day forecast. We drove until the road hadn't had the snow plowed off anymore then filled up our air mattress and left the HVAC system on at 67 degrees F most of the night and in the morning the outside temperature was 12 degrees Fahrenheit and the battery had gone down 19%. You can watch a video I made about this trip here

A couple days later I took a different daughter to a totally different location where it got down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit and 21% of the battery was used overnight keeping the cabin at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. And another video I made about that trip here

I'm curious how many other people have camped in their Teslas and what their power consumption was. Depending on how far you're driving before camping I find less than 25% to 50% used overnight for HVAC to probably be quite acceptable, but I've heard of others who say camp mode drained a LOT of their battery without any hard numbers. Anyone else care to add their figures to this thread? Please include your model and battery size or ideally kWh consumed.

I'll include a poll below. Obviously the amount of power consumed overnight is more accurate than percentage, but most people don't know power consumed, but they do know battery percentage. It's still helpful to just see percentage too I think because it gives an idea of how much of overall storage is being consumed by camp mode overnight.

I normally camp at RV parks so the car is always taking electricity from the grid, but if it rains, I don't plug in because I don't want to the the electronics of the UMC wet. The times I've done it, I don't believe I've lost more than 15 or 20 miles, so not a big issue.

I normally camp at RV parks so the car is always taking electricity from the grid, but if it rains, I don't plug in because I don't want to the the electronics of the UMC wet. The times I've done it, I don't believe I've lost more than 15 or 20 miles, so not a big issue.
I've never camped out in the car while it's plugged in, but I have charged at a campground while I slept in a tent. It sounds like you haven't lost hardly any range at all! Keep in mind my figures were in quite cold weather, I intend to do it again in temperate temperatures and I expect to probably see similarly minor power consumption.

Reactions: jerry33
I've never camped out in the car while it's plugged in, but I have charged at a campground while I slept in a tent. It sounds like you haven't lost hardly any range at all! Keep in mind my figures were in quite cold weather, I intend to do it again in temperate temperatures and I expect to probably see similarly minor power consumption.
That would be my guess. I always sleep in the car. (I expect it to be even better in the new X because it's a bit larger.)

Obviously ambient temperature is far and away the biggest variable here.

I slept in my car on the California coast in February with outside temp in the low 50s and cabin temp at 68 and lost 4% of my 75kwh battery overnight. Worth price paid.