Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also awaiting the software release with the sleep mode restored, although my vampire losses here in NorCal have declined substantially the past couple of weeks with warmer temps. Yesterday I parked my car outside at the office and lost only one rated mile in 8.5 hours and only lost 3 at night. That is far less than two months ago when I seemed to be losing 1 rated mile/hour overnight.

Thats not true. Once the batts are charged, any incremental current draw, particularly at those levels, go beyond float charging and are used unnecessarily

I'm not sure what current draw you are referring to. Certainly for my Model S if left undisturbed it will top up the battery once every 24 hours (in my case the battery needs a 3kWh top up), but there is no current drawn at any other time.

Heres another data point... I'm in asia on a business trip. Watching my car parked at the airport plugged in. When I left it I had it charged up in max mode. I noted it's charge after it finished. two days (exactly 48 hours later) it has 20 miles less.
I'm on 4.4, in Atlanta with ambient weather ranging between 65-80, in a covered parking area. So about 10 miles a day plugged in (not charging) in nice weather.

Thats not true. Once the batts are charged, any incremental current draw, particularly at those levels, go beyond float charging and are used unnecessarily

In my experience (with a separately metered outlet for my Model S), once the car is charged, current draw from the wall drops to zero, but the range numbers will begin to fall over time. This says to me the energy is "leaking" from the car and not the wall. Eventually the car will begin charging again after something like 24 hours to make up for these losses, but having the car unplugged in the interim is not going to make any difference.

In my experience (with a separately metered outlet for my Model S), once the car is charged, current draw from the wall drops to zero, but the range numbers will begin to fall over time. This says to me the energy is "leaking" from the car and not the wall. Eventually the car will begin charging again after something like 24 hours to make up for these losses, but having the car unplugged in the interim is not going to make any difference.

In my experience leaving the car unplugged for longer periods, rather than allowing it to top itself up each day, may result in some modest savings. I have measured 10% higher losses over the first day, after the car is charged and about 5% higher losses over the first three or four days, after which the per day losses stabilize. However, this is based on a single observation and should be repeated to confirm that this result was not affected by other factors.

I've been use the REST API to log data from my car. I checked the log from yesterday, while it was parked at work unplugged, and it lost about half a mile of rated range per hour. The outside temperature, as reported by the car, was about 20 C, or 68 F, for the whole time, which seems about right.

For a company that is supposedly "green", these loses are really staggering when you think about the numbers. 4+ kW loss per day, that's potentially 1500 kW per year for every Tesla that has currently been sold. With a goal of 20K plus Model S, that's potentially 30 million kW per year for all the Model S, just from sitting around doing nothing.

For a company that is supposedly "green", these loses are really staggering when you think about the numbers. 4+ kW loss per day, that's potentially 1500 kW per year for every Tesla that has currently been sold. With a goal of 20K plus Model S, that's potentially 30 million kW per year for all the Model S, just from sitting around doing nothing.

The plan is for this to only be a temporary problem. Like the auto extending handles, hopefully they will deliver with an update.

I agree it's costing about 40-80 cents a day and that's not ideal but I'd rather Tesla get it done right than implement it incorrectly. They ready tried once and had issues so I'd guess they are working on getting it right this time.

Unlike the door handles, though, this one is costing us money.

Yes, and I very much would like to see it fixed ASAP. From an environmental perspective, it's absurd.

However, for me it's about 33 cents a day, and frankly, I'm saving more than that on gas, even though I drive under 8000 miles a year. So I can wait.

Unlike some things, Tesla didn't advertise that the car wouldn't use energy while parked, nor did they advertise a specific amount of energy use. (Well... until the really poorly thought out calculator which they recently put on the site. Which was a big mistake.)

I really think any energy use while parked is ridiculous. My ICE car doesn't use any gas while it is parked.

Any? You probably want to keep the clock running. And note that any energy that your ICE car uses from the battery while it's parked will need to be made up for by the engine when you're driving. (Granted, if the vampire load on your ICE car isn't really tiny, something is wrong.)

I could almost cry at how much loss I'm getting on standby (idle hmm... edited this out). So I charged up to 330km, then drove to our cabin, got there with 290, let the car sit over night and came back to it at 280, drove 2km the next day and had air conditioning on, and then let it sit over night again. Just checked on the car. Went from 260 ish to 240 in 24 hours. Temperature outside is 25 degrees celcius. I had charged up to 330km so I could just straight shot home today, but I lost 30km in 2 nights do due vampire loss. That's alot, and if I were an every day normal user like my parents, I'd not be impressed, and would be suprised to get in the car and realize that I don't have enough to get back to town (potentially).

Last edited: