Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the midst of experimenting with this now. I am away from my Tesla this week and intentionally left it unplugged. in 72 hours, I have lost exactly 3 miles of range. If this translates to 0.5 Kwh, I can't say. I'll leave that to others to calculate. Regardless, it is trivial as 5.0 currently operates.

315 Days, 564 Posts and 1 MWh later...

I started this thread 315 days ago. Since that time I've lost over 1 megawatt hour due to the vampire loss in the Model S.

Version 5.0 with sleep improvements has been out for over 5 weeks in new vehicles but still hasn't been released to existing owners. I've been really impressed with Tesla's execution in most areas. But does anyone believe that Tesla is placing a high enough priority on this issue???

Last edited:
<snip>But does anyone believe that Tesla is placing a high enough priority on this issue???
They are simply prioritizing owner experience (instance car response) over this efficiency. I can only imagine how much effort they have put into this. With so many cars out on the road they need to be more and more cautious about "major" changes. A bad change could cause a lot of bad PR. I applaud their efforts and cautious rollout.

They are simply prioritizing owner experience (instance car response) over this efficiency. I can only imagine how much effort they have put into this. With so many cars out on the road they need to be more and more cautious about "major" changes. A bad change could cause a lot of bad PR. I applaud their efforts and cautious rollout.

Agreed. In addition, I would imagine most of us are going to keep our Model S for a number of years. The first three to nine months of ownership with vampire drain are going to fade away just like the months of waiting to get the Model S.

A cautious rollout is fine, but they should be able to load a seemingly stable firmware (.102) onto our cars by request. A request implies we understand the implications and that the mobile app will be slower. If the firmware was buggy or unstable that would be one thing, but that is not the case with the current iteration of 5.0. In that case, they wouldn't even be loading 5.0 on new deliveries.

A cautious rollout is fine, but they should be able to load a seemingly stable firmware (.102) onto our cars by request. A request implies we understand the implications and that the mobile app will be slower. If the firmware was buggy or unstable that would be one thing, but that is not the case with the current iteration of 5.0. In that case, they wouldn't even be loading 5.0 on new deliveries.

Are you aware that you state the old scheme "Yo mama, gimme all the stuff good 'n bad, I'm a big boy and can handle it" ? :cool:

I remember when Tesla was pressed to make the information flow on car delivery status (Model S signatures) more transparent. Basically to answer "where is my car??!" promptly, honestly and under all circumstances, including "well there was that new guy with the fork lift in the service center where we prepped your car, uhm, ..." :crying:

There was a response (I think by G. Blankenship) stating that most people think they can deal with bad news, but in reality hope "it won't hit me but some other poor guy instead." In other words: if things turn out bad, virtually no one mutters "well - I asked for it" and plays it calmly.

Tesla appears to play along the line "bad things will happen. No need to exacerbate this by allowing customers to ask for trouble." And it served them well IMHO.

There was a response (I think by G. Blankenship) stating that most people think they can deal with bad news, but in reality hope "it won't hit me but some other poor guy instead." In other words: if things turn out bad, virtually no one mutters "well - I asked for it" and plays it calmly.

Yes, I don't deal well with bad news because usually it means working 20 to 24 hours for the next few days.

As for the vampire load, I get it back in the number of miles over rated range, so I don't worry about it. ("Number of miles over rated range" means starting with the miles remaining after a charge, and then compare that to the miles traveled since last charge plus the miles remaining. If it's higher, you got back some or all of the vampire losses.)

Are you aware that you state the old scheme "Yo mama, gimme all the stuff good 'n bad, I'm a big boy and can handle it" ? :cool:

I remember when Tesla was pressed to make the information flow on car delivery status (Model S signatures) more transparent. Basically to answer "where is my car??!" promptly, honestly and under all circumstances, including "well there was that new guy with the fork lift in the service center where we prepped your car, uhm, ..." :crying:

Tesla appears to play along the line "bad things will happen. No need to exacerbate this by allowing customers to ask for trouble." And it served them well IMHO.

Yeah, that's nice, but you didn't read my post carefully enough. You make the assumption that there is a "bad" part to accepting the current iteration of the firmware. The fact is that there isn't and it is quite stable.

It's my view that if they have a stable firmware release they shouldn't sit on it until they work out issues like long wake up times. Obviously, many will beg to differ so that's why I would give people the option - you either want it or you don't, and only upon request. Lots of products allow you to try newer unreleased software; case in point Windows 8.1 preview. Now it's not totally comparable because one is a car and the other is a computer.

Yeah, that's nice, but you didn't read my post carefully enough. You make the assumption that there is a "bad" part to accepting the current iteration of the firmware. The fact is that there isn't and it is quite stable.
I hear you, though I don't necessarily agree. How would they role out an optional release? Not everyone frequents these forums. What if someone got an alert that there was a OTA software update and decided to download it, and became upset of the lag (BTW, my iPhone app took me close to 10 minutes today to connect to my car)? I guess the answer would be for the SC's to load it. My guess is that TM is not interested in tracking and managing this, nor willing to have SCs load software when they have other things to do. Either it is available to everyone, or not at all. There's simply too much else going on to bother. Further, the release is probably coming out soon enough anyway, that they figure it's no big deal to wait.

Finally, given TM's reputation, it is my belief that they are holding off for good enough reasons for which they are simply not saying. If it really is stable, or sufficient enough for a major release, I highly doubt that they would hold off. My 0.02