Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really needs to be resolved by Tesla...
Yes. Since they already have a retrofit for the defroster issue (I'm still waiting to get it, of course), the vampire load should be their top #1 priority issue.

it's like having an ICE car with a leaky gas tank.
Well, except for the risk of explosions.

Hoping 4.3 or future updates can help.
Apparently 4.3 didn't. Reducing the vampire load should be the sole goal of Tesla's programmers for 4.4.

Apparently 4.3 didn't. Reducing the vampire load should be the sole goal of Tesla's programmers for 4.4.

I'm not sure if it should be the sole goal for 4.4 (I don't know what else is on their plate), but I agree that this should
be a very high priority. Many of us bought the car at least in part for environmental reasons and it's a bit painful to waste 3-5kwh per day for nothing.

True, but the article above from green car reports points out that the vampire losses are a third of what the author uses to power his whole house.

Well he used a single data point, that likely had some cold battery 'losses' that really aren't losses. He estimated 8kWh lost per day, when it is probably half that, or less. So less than 1/6th of his monthly power usage.

Still significant, but not nearly as much. About $15 a month worth. Not terrible but not great either. Right now it isn't a huge issue, unless you need to park at the airport for a long trip. Otherwise it is a nuisance cost.

Hopefully they will fix it. But I would rather have a good solution than a rushed solution. No need to rush this one out.

hmm mine seems a lot worse. I'm on 4.2 and I see mine go from about 177 miles to 149 in 10 hours and this is pretty consistent every day while I'm at work for the last 2 weeks. so about 28 miles loss in 10 hours, roughly about 3miles/hr. And it's been between 30-50 degrees during the day over the last few weeks. That's pretty significant of a vampire load. I never expected it to be that bad, but I guess that's they way it is until they fix that sleep mode thing.

My commute is 45 miles each way. I start off at 240 miles, and by the time I park I'm usually around that 177. Now, I don't drive conservatively at all. I have a lead foot, so using 63 miles to go 45 miles is expected. Perhaps I should keep cruise control lower than 83mph :p but coming back 10 hours later and it being down into the 140s every day (I think one day It was down to 141), that's pretty crappy of a vampire load. So technically now I'm at 100 miles of energy to go 45 miles. :(

To combat that, today I just started plugging into a 110V while at work and now I've gone from 177 to 211 in 10 hours, gaining 3+miles/hr. Not that I have to with the big P85, as I have more than enough energy to get home, but plugging in does actually make a BIG difference. Before I was losing 28 miles in 10 hours, now I gained 34 miles in 10 hours. That's 62 miles of energy I'll "save" myself from paying for at home. :) the shocking thing about my vampire load is that if it really does keep losing at that rate, that's about 28% loss a day due to vampire load, and that makes me thing something is wrong.... does anything else have a vampire load loss that high?

The highest I've seen is 1 mile per hour of lost range, and that's with temperatures that were likely colder than you have in NJ (20s-30s). I have to think there's something more going on with your car than the usual factors.
the shocking thing about my vampire load is that if it really does keep losing at that rate, that's about 28% loss a day due to vampire load, and that makes me thing something is wrong.... does anything else have a vampire load loss that high?

My P85 has been in the garage for the last 2 months, always plugged in. The garage is kept at approx. 40F. Of that time I have been data logging for about 32 days. The average power consumed in a 24H period is 3.6kWh. Just wanted to add another data point to the thread....
Cheers.

My P85 has been in the garage for the last 2 months, always plugged in. The garage is kept at approx. 40F. Of that time I have been data logging for about 32 days. The average power consumed in a 24H period is 3.6kWh. Just wanted to add another data point to the thread....
Cheers.
What type of outlet is it connected to?

Cheers.
you don't drive your car? lol

85 / 3.6 = about 23 days... not good

did you press the shutdown button on the big screen?

Cheers.
I am also interested to do power monitor of my HPWC. Would you share what data logger you use?

What type of outlet is it connected to?

Initially to a 50A/240V outlet but the last three weeks or so to the HPWC (i.e. 80A/240V)

- - - Updated - - -

you don't drive your car? lol

85 / 3.6 = about 23 days... not good

did you press the shutdown button on the big screen?

Did not get any winter tires and still have a PU for the winter months + we got ALOT more show in MA then anticipated....

Indeed the power drain is NOT good. Was going to take the car to the airport a few weeks ago (two week trip)...glad I did not!

"Shutdown button" ????
There is no power-down for the electronics. Hopefully with the next firmware "sleep mode" will be re-instated.

- - - Updated - - -

I am also interested to do power monitor of my HPWC. Would you share what data logger you use?

I looked at quite a few data loggers including building my own. In the end the Engage Efergy w/ hub won. Cheap, simple and accurate enough for my purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he means Controls>E-Brake/Power Off>Turn Power Off

In my experience this doesn't change anything with the vampire load, it just shuts the screens off with the door open.

Indeed.

Another vampire story... Left for a business trip Monday morning. Have the 60 kWh S. Unplugged it @ 6:00 AM Monday. It showed 192 miles, which is good considering it has shown 185 after a full standard charge. Just returned this evening and it displayed 155 miles. Temperatures have been in the mid 20's to upper 30's the past several days.

The 37 miles "lost" in 90 hours averages to 0.41 miles/hour or ~ 10 miles/day as others have reported. My house does not have a garage. The vehicle is wrapped with the Tesla outdoor cover.