Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't got that information from Tesla yet. I have a 100 amp panel that is maxed out. The upgrade is probably to a larger 200 amp panel with more space. Also, I read in the Powerwall 2 specifications for the Energy Gateway that it has disconnect current of 200A. So, I may need a 200 amp panel regardless.

If you're going to upgrade your 100A panel I suggest you upgrade to a 225A main service panel instead of a 200A? This will give you more capacity, probably more breaker space and be solar ready.

Here's the electrical panel Schneider Electric (Square D) Technical Support recommended as an upgrade to our existing 200A main service panel (“MSP”) for our proposed 6.87kW solar installation:

Square D Homeline 225 Amp 30-Space 42-Circuit Outdoor Solar-Ready Combination Meter Socket and Main Breaker Load Center for Plug-on Neutral breakers Model # SC3042M225PF Square D Homeline 225 Amp 30 Space 42 Circuit Outdoor Surface Mount Main Breaker Plug-On Neutral CSED-SC3042M225PF - The Home Depot and Square D solar ready sub-feed lug kit SR69064A for solar connection ahead of the main breaker http://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_File_Id=682103646&p_File_Name=73295-553-01.pdf.

Is it possible to add both solar AND Powerwall(s) concurrently to get the SGIP rebate on our SCE electrified SoCal 3,300 sq. ft. two-store single family residence?

If so will Solar City FINALLY install on houses with Spanish tile roofs like ours so I can just have ONE contractor / vendor be responsible for BOTH the solar system AND Powerwall installations?

If not, what solar installers would you recommend for a 7kWh solar systemon a Spanish tile roof in Orange County?

Fortunately our roof faces almost perfectly south with zero shading... except for the occasional coastal low clouds & fog. Our monthly SCE usage averages around 800 kWh. Last month it consisted of:

• 201 kWh On peak
• 230 kWh Off peak
445 kWh Super off peak (mostly our Tesla Model S P85D charging)
• 777 kWh Total electricity usage this month

Should I place a Powerwall 2 order ASAP? If so, how many Powerwall 2's would I need power our entire home in case of a power outage? (Tesla's Powerwall website estimates I'd need 2 x 14 kWh Powerwall batteries)

From getting solar bids early last year for a 6.867kW kW (solar energy) system (21 x SunPower AC Module; E20-327-C-AC WHT) I'll need to upgrade our 200A Main Service Panel ("MSP") to a 225A "solar ready" panel... so wiring in a PowerWall shouldn't be much more work. :cool:

Will a new solar system be on NEM 1.0 or 2.0 ? If 2.0, what will our monthly SCE "connection fee" be?

Is it possible to add both solar AND Powerwall(s) concurrently to get the SGIP rebate on our SCE electrified SoCal 3,300 sq. ft. two-store single family residence?

If so will Solar City FINALLY install on houses with Spanish tile roofs like ours so I can just have ONE contractor / vendor be responsible for BOTH the solar system AND Powerwall installations?

If not, what solar installers would you recommend for a 7kWh solar systemon a Spanish tile roof in Orange County?

Fortunately our roof faces almost perfectly south with zero shading... except for the occasional coastal low clouds & fog. Our monthly SCE usage averages around 800 kWh. Last month it consisted of:

• 201 kWh On peak
• 230 kWh Off peak
445 kWh Super off peak (mostly our Tesla Model S P85D charging)
• 777 kWh Total electricity usage this month

Should I place a Powerwall 2 order ASAP? If so, how many Powerwall 2's would I need power our entire home in case of a power outage? (Tesla's Powerwall website estimates I'd need 2 x 14 kWh Powerwall batteries)

From getting solar bids early last year for a 6.867kW kW (solar energy) system (21 x SunPower AC Module; E20-327-C-AC WHT) I'll need to upgrade our 200A Main Service Panel ("MSP") to a 225A "solar ready" panel... so wiring in a PowerWall shouldn't be much more work. :cool:

Will a new solar system be on NEM 1.0 or 2.0 ? If 2.0, what will our monthly SCE "connection fee" be?
Why would you need to replace your service entrance panel? Are there not enough slots available for a couple of 20A 240 breakers even by replacing some single breakers with tandems to make room? Your 7kW array would deliver less than 30A of power, more like 24A after line losses and inverter efficiency losses.

Sounds like someone may be trying to ratchet up the value of the job.

Why would you need to replace your service entrance panel? Are there not enough slots available for a couple of 20A 240 breakers even by replacing some single breakers with tandems to make room? Your 7kW array would deliver less than 30A of power, more like 24A after line losses and inverter efficiency losses.

Maybe he already has 200A main electrical panel but can be central fed, the main breaker is between the load breakers. Many AHJ didn't solar panels installation on this kind of electrical panels.

What difference would that make?
On central fed electrical panels in the past in many places, they still have that way in the city of LA with LADWP. You can have 100% of the bus bar so 200Ax 100%=200A- 200a( main breaker)= 0A for solar breaker.
In some cases, after a load calculation is done you can change the main breaker to 150A or 175A.
200A( bus bar rating)x 100%=200A-150A( main breaker)=50A for solar breaker.
But many homes if they have 1-2 Ac units, pool pump, EV charger they can't downgrade the main breaker and they will need to replace the electrical panel.

For top or bottom fed electrical panels, NEC(National Electrical Code) allow 120% rule.
225 A (bus bar) x 120%=270A- 200A( main breaker)= 70 A for solar breaker or but 70A breaker.

For Southern California Edison customer is possible to have GMA( Generation Meter Adapter), that allow them to keep the main electrical panel and have a line side connection for a maximum of 65A breaker for solar or a 15.6 KW solar system.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo

I'm was also skeptical about needing to upgrade our 200A Main Service Panel ("MSP") but because of the number of circuits and multiple loads on our existing 3,300 sq. ft. 2007 new construction 2-story single family home's 200A MSP and 100A subpanel we've ALREADY had to:

1. Load Calc (attached)
2. repurpose our unused 240V electric dryer circuit
3. double up every available breaker

... just to install our Tesla High Power Wall Charger (100A breaker / 80A max.)

This was verified by 3 electricians for our Tesla HPWC installation and subsequently SCE + 3 solar company quotes last year. SCE even suggested we may just want to upgrade to a 400A panel since they'll provide the additional 200A wiring at no charge... and 400A would provide plenty of future capacity for adding another EV, additional solar, another garage, etc.

The reason our 200A MSP is completely full is because the original tract home contractor only installed a cheap 200A MSP with very few breaker slots. Even before we added our Tesla, RV, and outdoor kitchen the original builder had to add a 100A subpanel just to feed the original circuits.

Obviously I'll take another look at this hard if we add solar and Powerwall(s) but please trust me that I've gone over this several times and concluded we need a MSP upgrade if we add solar... especially since we'll get a 30% tax credit and need more breakers anyway. Plus in the "big picture" the cost of upgrading our MSP to provide more amperage and breakers is incremental when adding 7kW solar.

Attachments

• CESG Tesla High Power Wall Charger electrical plan load calc.pdf
    122.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3293.JPG
    IMG_3293.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3621.JPG
    IMG_3621.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 106
The reason our 200A MSP is completely full is because the original tract home contractor only installed a cheap 200A MSP with very few breaker slots. Even before we added our Tesla, RV, and outdoor kitchen the original builder had to add a 100A subpanel just to feed the original circuits.
Ah, yes. Homeowners pay the price for the lowest-bidding sub getting the job. In my 50-year-old tract, all houses have 100A panels with 125A underground feed lines from SCE, making panel upgrades extremely expensive. Some houses were wired by a good subcontractor with Square-D panels, the rest had cheap panels from problematic manufacturers like PushMatic or Zinnsco, both of which went out of business many years ago due to poor quality.

I placed an order last Thursday night and I got a call from SolarCity on Saturday. The site survey is scheduled for Tuesday.

It seems like things are moving quite quickly? Has anyone gotten their system installed yet?

SolarCity sent a guy out to do a site survey, but he couldn't explain how PowerWall 2 AC would work with my existing SMA grid-tie PV inverter in a grid outage -- would the PV inverter continue to function, and charge the PowerWall during the day, or would it shut off?

I called Tesla Energy, and after some checking, they told me the inverter would shut off and the PowerWall would not charge off of solar while the grid was down. I've heard differently elsewhere, but this was Tesla saying it. Anyone have any official docs? What PV inverters are supported?

I placed an order last Thursday night and I got a call from SolarCity on Saturday. The site survey is scheduled for Tuesday.
Were you already a SolarCity customer? Or are you currently installing both PV and batteries through SolarCity? I reserved a Powerwall 2 through the Tesla website on April 13 and haven't heard a peep from SolarCity aside from my fruitless efforts to ask about starting the SGIP application and to start the overall process. (Meanwhile, I have found Tesla Service to be very responsive on the automotive side when needed.)

So, I just signed a contract with the same company that installed our PV panels (LA Solar Group, with Pick My Solar as the broker). The upside is that LA Solar Group has great service, they are responsive, and they are already well-acquainted with our home's electrical setup. The downside is that their bid ended up being over $3K higher than Tesla's estimate to install a single Powerwall 2. But I'm assuming that with a smaller and more responsive installer, we'll have a better chance at a good SGIP rebate. And I can't be sure if Tesla's estimate is all-inclusive, since no one from SolarCity has come to our home, etc. Further, we'll qualify for the 30% income tax credit, which will effectively lower the price delta. The worst case scenario would be that we end up paying a bit more for better service.

Were you already a SolarCity customer? Or are you currently installing both PV and batteries through SolarCity? I reserved a Powerwall 2 through the Tesla website on April 13 and haven't heard a peep from SolarCity aside from my fruitless efforts to ask about starting the SGIP application and to start the overall process. (Meanwhile, I have found Tesla Service to be very responsive on the automotive side when needed.)

So, I just signed a contract with the same company that installed our PV panels (LA Solar Group, with Pick My Solar as the broker). The upside is that LA Solar Group has great service, they are responsive, and they are already well-acquainted with our home's electrical setup. The downside is that their bid ended up being over $3K higher than Tesla's estimate to install a single Powerwall 2. But I'm assuming that with a smaller and more responsive installer, we'll have a better chance at a good SGIP rebate. And I can't be sure if Tesla's estimate is all-inclusive, since no one from SolarCity has come to our home, etc. Further, we'll qualify for the 30% income tax credit, which will effectively lower the price delta. The worst case scenario would be that we end up paying a bit more for better service.
No, I am not currently a SolarCity customer. I already have my PV system also installed by your installer. Like you mentioned LASG wants $12,500 installed which is excessive after looking at others' quotes here. When I told LASG the installion cost should only be 800-2000 they said they don't see how that's possible and told me to go with SolarCity.

LA Solar Group quoted me at $10,575 for a single Powerwall, after some back and forth using Pick My Solar as an intermediary/broker. That's without a critical loads subpanel, so the whole house will be backed up (for better and for worse).

I still think that's high, but SolarCity hasn't even bothered to try scheduling a site visit, and the SGIP application date is only days away. Plus, with LASG, I have the option of backing out if we don't get a large enough SGIP rebate.

Honestly, with NEM 1.0 for solar in California, and without the government incentives for batteries, I wouldn't be installing a Powerwall just yet - I'd be waiting for the costs to drop further. At a net cost of roughly $2400 (using LASG) if we end up with the full SGIP rebate, though, it's cheap enough to be worth doing just for backup purposes, and the fact that we'll be able to do TOU load shifting is a bonus.

Update: the site survey person spent a little less than an hour checking out the site, taking measurements and pictures of everything. No question for me other than asking for the preferred location I want the PW2 to be installed.

He said the install will probably happen in 2 weeks and the design should be ready within 5 days. I assume the estimate will come together w/ the design plan.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and abasile
Placed on order for Powerwall 2 couple of weeks back. I got a call from SolarCity last Saturday and the rep asked me if I am comfortable providing the photos for Site survey. After I said yes, he guided me on what photos are needed and once done, asked me email them. I figured this will save some time in the whole design process. I haven't heard back from Tesla after that. Called them for an update today and it's still waiting on the design team to take a look at the photos.

• Informative
I'm was also skeptical about needing to upgrade our 200A Main Service Panel ("MSP") but because of the number of circuits and multiple loads on our existing 3,300 sq. ft. 2007 new construction 2-story single family home's 200A MSP and 100A subpanel we've ALREADY had to:

1. Load Calc (attached)
2. repurpose our unused 240V electric dryer circuit
3. double up every available breaker

... just to install our Tesla High Power Wall Charger (100A breaker / 80A max.)

This was verified by 3 electricians for our Tesla HPWC installation and subsequently SCE + 3 solar company quotes last year. SCE even suggested we may just want to upgrade to a 400A panel since they'll provide the additional 200A wiring at no charge... and 400A would provide plenty of future capacity for adding another EV, additional solar, another garage, etc.

Obviously I'll take another look at this hard if we add solar and Powerwall(s) but please trust me that I've gone over this several times and concluded we need a MSP upgrade if we add solar... especially since we'll get a 30% tax credit and need more breakers anyway. Plus in the "big picture" the cost of upgrading our MSP to provide more amperage and breakers is incremental when adding 7kW solar.
I just posted to complain, not to offer advice. I don't know why electricians insist upon installing super-small breaker boxes with very few breaker slots when:
  1. The price of larger boxes with more breaker slots is usually the same, if not cheaper. (Almost no one buys smaller (by slot count) boxes any more from many suppliers, so the bigger boxes have the economies of scale and shorter inventory times delivering lower costs. Electricians are probably installing smaller slot capacity breaker boxes just because they remember they used to be cheaper 10 to 20 years ago, but didn't check today's prices. So, it's not only "least cost" but also "most outdated" and "most stupid". Cheap really does buy into bad.)
  2. The price of home consumer regular full size breakers for bigger boxes is way lower than the price of the same home consumer slim breakers for smaller boxes. The price of the 2 or 3 most expensive slim breakers in a small breaker box is often more than the entire cost of a large breaker box, and the price of the large size non-slim breakers for the high slot number breaker boxes are often almost free, or only a few bucks plus or minus, and less than half the cost of the slim breakers on average.
  3. The entire industry is going toward super-large number of breaker slots. This is because microwaves, TV's, computers, NEC, CAFCI, solar, smart homes, and I probably forgot a few things.
I can see how in 2007 it seemed that they got in "just under the gun" of the introduction of CAFCI requirements and were able to "save a lot" that way, but it was short sighted. Today, the code wants more dedicated circuits, not less. Today, we use electricity for more of our life, not less. Both those things were true years ago, too. Now, we add to that EV, Solar, and batteries. Solar was already a big thing a decade ago. Today, someone trying to skimp on boxes still irks me.

This seems to be a common problem. With EV's, flying electric cars, solar panels, computers, virtual reality holodecks, AI supercomputers, PowerWalls, and further down the road than all of those things, converting our home heating from gas to electric (yes I think that's coming after virtual reality holodeks and flying electric cars become common, and I think it is coming because it is an anti-dirty fossil fuel goal to eliminate it), we are going to need more panel slots and electricity capacity in the electrical systems of the next 10 to 30 years, not less. Requiring homeowners to purchase panel upgrades of $2K - $5K every decade just because of a lack of foresight bothers me. But, they're not my homes, so there's that. I can see doing 1 or 2 panel upgrades every 50 or 100 years in the coming era, but having to replace a decade old panel just seems like someone dropped the ball.

When someone installs a pool, or solar system, or EV charger, or a PowerWall, or something, one of those things often triggers a panel upgrade. I always think that's an opportunity to avoid the next panel upgrade 10-30 years down the line, and ask them to over-spec it.

However, if SCE said you can get 400A wiring for free, in the general case, that sounds pretty sweet (although in the specific case of your home I advise against anyone seeking advice from me since I don't know their particulars and I'm not an electrician). I asked for 400A here to my solar installer when upgrading our 110A panel, and he said PG&E frowns on that because it triggers many issues (reviews, delays, interactions, etc.) and they could deny it or take forever, so he said we should just go to 200A to get it done within months rather than in the following year. Now whenever we dry clothes and charge my car, the PG&E supply drops by 15 to 20 volts, because PG&E delivers such a small physical supply to our home. That keeping the 400A upgrade down to a 200A upgrade really helped us quickly get that installed without the right kind of upgrade from PG&E.

Last edited:
I just posted to complain, not to offer advice. I don't know why electricians insist upon installing super-small breaker boxes with very few breaker slots ...
I add:

Upgrading amperage of boxes actually does increase the price of the boxes in general, so that is more of an amps and cost tradeoff, but I think it still fits the same general pattern of skimping on cost not being beneficial long run. But, that can be mitigated against by installing the highest amp highest slot count low cost boxes you can find but doing so in a manner that there is still plenty of room left for inserting newer higher amp main panels in the future, which can feed the older boxes as "subpanels". This has more to do with physical layout with an eye toward the future in terms of more boxes, accessibility code, conduit, etc..

--------

o Option A: the Host Customer is on a TOU tariff, dynamic tariff (e.g. PG&E’s SmartRate or SDG&E’s Reduce Your
Use), or agrees to integrate load through the California Independent System Operator’s Proxy Demand Response, or
equivalent tariff, prior to receiving the SGIP incentive and for five (5) years thereafter. Note that in the event that the
Hose Customer changes to a non-TOU tariff or is no longer enrolled in a demand reduction program, the energy
storage System Owner is required to notify the Program Administrator within 30 days of change, and will be subject to
This is what I would want to do (bolded). It's just software. Does Tesla & PG&E have this software ready, or will they in the near future? The hardware is all there in their product.

Also, does this "demand reduction program" interfere with our existing EV tarriff? Demand load response is different from the pricing paradigm, but they can be intermixed, but that intermixing can be compatibilized. What has PG&E & CPUC done?

Last edited: