Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 3 in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't the Powerwall tariff offered by Octopus swing financial assessments in Powerwall's favour? I've just compared what I'm paying with a standard company against the 12p offered by Octopus and, even without any savings from generating my own power, that saves me £3700/year!! Or am I missing something?

Doesn't the Powerwall tariff offered by Octopus swing financial assessments in Powerwall's favour? I've just compared what I'm paying with a standard company against the 12p offered by Octopus and, even without any savings from generating my own power, that saves me £3700/year!! Or am I missing something?
Depends on your use profile. I fill my battery on Intelligent Octopus (off peak min 6 hours) at 5p (it will be 7.5p on renewal). I have full control over charge/discharge so this is viable. If you plug that into your calculator your savings could be even greater. But if you want a single, flat tariff, yes it's excellent.

If you don't have large solar, and don't have the ability to run your entire load from the PW (eg using octopus go 7.5p/kwh), then tesla plan may be better. Basically the grid is your battery so kind of pointless having the battery - its just a 'key'. Use as much solar to get the self consumption up, but you have a cap at 11/12p

Can also be useful for high energy users -eg ASHP where you might be using 30+kwh per day. Beyhond the capacity of a battery but doesn't matter if you pull from the grid or when you pull from the grid

Reactions: roadcred
With only 1 company offering this type of tariff and long delays to power wall supply. there's a danger that the Teslaplan may be discontinued before you get your power wall. How long can Octopus keep supplying electricity at 12p?

With only 1 company offering this type of tariff and long delays to power wall supply. there's a danger that the Teslaplan may be discontinued before you get your power wall. How long can Octopus keep supplying electricity at 12p?

obviously they're thinking about this at grid scale, but I guess at a micro level what they're able to do is timeshift electricity around just like you would - only with more control.

If they charge your PW overnight using 13kwh of low carbon, low demand, high output electricity they basically have 13kwh of the cheapest electricity there is - on agile it sometimes goes negative because they want the electric to be used rather than have to ramp down a power station or turbine.

then in the daytime, they can export it to the grid at times of high demand, low generation, high carbon. Either pure cost benefit (buy low, sell high) or including some carbon trading value there too which I assume makes them money also.

You're buying it 'cheap' at 12p/unit but you have to assume they're buying it for less than that and seling it for more than that and making their brokers fee/margin on top.

Now mulply that by 10,000 powerwall users (made up number) - could be decent business for Octopus.

You're buying it 'cheap' at 12p/unit but you have to assume they're buying it for less than that and seling it for more than that and making their brokers fee/margin on top.
That's a big assumption in these crazy times. Not saying it's not correct.
Also if they can sell it for 12p, could they sell it for 20p? If that happens after you've bought your Powerwall then your ROI may look quite different.
All your eggs in one (tariff) basket. Might be better to base your Powerwall decisions on multiple options.

Reactions: roadcred
You need to be careful if it's your primary goal, as I think there's a requirement for your household usage to be below a set figure per powerwall. I recall it's sort of "daylight hours" only, but if you've an ASHP or other large daytime usage (homeworking, electric ovens and hobs etc), small solar, it's quite likely you'll need 2 or 3 Powerwall's to play the game.

Reactions: init6
That's a big assumption in these crazy times. Not saying it's not correct.
Also if they can sell it for 12p, could they sell it for 20p? If that happens after you've bought your Powerwall then your ROI may look quite different.
All your eggs in one (tariff) basket. Might be better to base your Powerwall decisions on multiple options.
Last year it was 8p and no standing charge. Worked brilliantly! This year is 11.11p plus a standing charge. Still great in the summer, not so great in winter. But I cannot survive on Octopus GO + 1 powerwall without using peak rates - as long as TEP is less than the daytime rate of Octopus Go it will be better for me...unless I get another battery or 2....Hmmm.

Reactions: init6
GE do have a 5kW inverter.
I’m going down the SolarEdge route with their dc coupled system, a 10kW battery (9.7kW usable) with 5kW charge/discharge rate, a 5kW inverter and 4.9kWp solar.
I’ve calculated I can run the house on a combination of solar & off peak (octopus go) all year and the EV using off peak + solar in the summer months.
Hi. Have you got any quotes for this set up? I’m wanting something very similar so wondering on a ballpark for costs.
Thanks