Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall and "The Missing Piece..." Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla "not a car" New Product Line Announcement - April 30 2015

Starting a new thread for everyone to discuss the upcoming "not a car" product line unveil coming up on April 30th, so that 90 pages of theories on a home storage cancer curing articulating snake can be kept out of short term price movements.

Elon Musk on Twitter:

Elon's hint in the 2014 Q4 call in Feb hinted strongly there would be a home storage unveil soon, and this Solarcity page all but confirms it Solar Energy Storage for Home Battery Backup System | SolarCity

ScepticMatt has a great post that pulls together all the previous mentions regarding home stationary storage from Elon and JB Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015 - Page 415

I hate these announcements about going to announcing something. Fine to tell people a few days prior so they can make themselves available for the announcement but one month prior is ridiculous. They know exactly what it is -- but it's like, we're not telling you (nanananana!), we're just announcing that we will be announcing it, one month from now. That's just plain annoying to me.

You probably hate the whole run up to Christmas, too. :)

You probably hate the whole run up to Christmas, too. :)

I love Christmas (and I'm an atheist!). My wife is nuts about it. She puts up about a dozen trees around our house, even in the bathrooms! Our kids know every Christmas song since we play the Sirius holiday music stations constantly starting after Halloween. The gift part (or surprises of getting gifts) isn't what is so appealing to me -- it's the family, friends, skating on the frozen lake at our cabin, big festive meals, and time of work for the holidays. What's not to love about Christmas?!

I love Christmas (and I'm an atheist!). My wife is nuts about it. She puts up about a dozen trees around our house, even in the bathrooms! Our kids know every Christmas song since we play the Sirius holiday music stations constantly starting after Halloween. The gift part (or surprises of getting gifts) isn't what is so appealing to me -- it's the family, friends, skating on the frozen lake at our cabin, big festive meals, and time of work for the holidays. What's not to love about Christmas?!

Then maybe you can view Elon's early mystery announcement as 'tradition' :), including the traditional Tesla *songs* you see here on the forum - here you are in the Tesla family, spending time with friends .... until you get to unwrap the gift next month!

See! It's all good.

- end of public service announcement -

It's a plane... It's...

it's batman.

- - - Updated - - -

or it's a drone army.

Iron-Man-2-Drones.jpg

a new home storage solution would be nice.

what would be more interesting would be one that could also
1. directly integrate with the solar panels thereby reducing some cost (no need to have multiple inverters)
2. learn household energy use patterns & demand level
3. do this across multiple systems thereby helping utility companies manage peaker plants
4. be scaleable for business size solutions

What if Elon finally saw my Teslive presentation and he's going to unveil an intelligent charging product which will allow all Model S owners to charge in a greener, grid-friendlier manner while making Tesla millions a year?

Guys, guys... I can't believe no-one has mentioned the obvious yet:

It is a line of Tesla automobile exterior wood-paneling, available for retrofitting to many car models.
You will be happy to know that 3M DI-NOC self adhesive vinyl wrap is available today, with no need to wait that torturous month for the official Tesla version!

3M DI-NOC Architectural Finishes

Give that P85 the long deserved walnut sided look you've always wanted!

I don't feel like you're taking this thread, and the analysis herein, seriously enough.
I have analyzed, with great seriousness, the availability of this wonderful wrapping product.

It's most likely home storage.

But for those who commented, the primary reason is not to eliminate outages, but to minimize peak demand use, which can save a significant amount of money. For instance, usually morning time (when people get up and get ready for work) is a peak time when solar output is little to non-existant. Peak charges for using electricity from the grid can be significant. Even if you have a small 10kW pack, you can use this during these peak times to save substantial money.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how they can justify putting "supply constrained" batteries into anything other than cars until the gigafactory and partners are running a surplus.

They used to be supply-constrained in the battery department. I'm fairly sure (based on past quarterly conference calls) that the battery supply is not the limiting factor anymore.