Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Storm Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to normal here. The tall trees at the back of me are still there. Just a few sticks strewn about.
metal sheds intact, solar panels on roof. Had it been a full on south wind, might have been different.
glad to have got through it!

No Powerwall, but portable 1kW peak Hyundai battery and separate petrol generator kept fridge/freezer, well pump and internet router going for 12 hour power cut.
Could do with a 2kW peak generator, as the pump is 900W...
Plans for a new garage and Powerwall are still at planning stage ;)

Reactions: Dilly
I'm hoping Tesla switch to the cheaper iron based chemistry and/or the UK cuts the VAT on home batteries to reduce the up-front costs.

This thread has reminded me to ask, what's a typical Powerwall install cost these days in the UK? Still supply constrained so priced high?

I recently was quoted £8,750.00 for a single powewall for a standard install - which means local to the meter.
I've also asked for a quote for two installed further away (utility).
I'm looking at two options, either solar plus one battery or two batteries and take advantage of off peak rates.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
We had quite a storm here yesterday, and we lost a ridge tile, the first in 30 years. The lights flickered once, and the UPSs triggered a shutdown of our IT, but the shutdown was cancelled within a minute. The solar panels were covered in salt, so I gave them a good hosing down to ensure they can generate as much power as possible. I'm hoping that within 3 weeks we will have our extra panels and one Powerwall running.

I recently was quoted £8,750.00 for a single powewall for a standard install - which means local to the meter.
I've also asked for a quote for two installed further away (utility).
I'm looking at two options, either solar plus one battery or two batteries and take advantage of off peak rates.
Don't forget, a battery only installation attracts 20% VAT. If you are over 60, a combined battery and solar (even one panel!) attracts 5% VAT. If you are under 60, best to have solar and battery billed separately unless the labour element of the install is over 40%, in which case the whole install is 5%.

This is why we have ordered 2 PWs, and just 4 extra panels being installed to get 5% VAT on the lot. Our quote was £19.8k for 2PW plus a Gateway, 4 black LG 375W panels with a 1.5kW Solaredge inverter with optimisers.

Reactions: 94jdh
Don't forget, a battery only installation attracts 20% VAT. If you are over 60, a combined battery and solar (even one panel!) attracts 5% VAT. If you are under 60, best to have solar and battery billed separately unless the labour element of the install is over 40%, in which case the whole install is 5%.

This is why we have ordered 2 PWs, and just 4 extra panels being installed to get 5% VAT on the lot. Our quote was £19.8k for 2PW plus a Gateway, 4 black LG 375W panels with a 1.5kW Solaredge inverter with optimisers.
I’ve got to ask, why only a 1.5kW inverter& not 4 or 5.

So far a non-event here too - less windy than 2 days ago but I still have to check round the farm to see if any trees came down. My fields are a tad soggy.
The 1987 storm that wasn't (Fish) was intense and very narrow: we drove from our place in W Sussex, which was badly affected, and after 20m drove out of the devastation within a couple of hundred yards.

The 1987 storm that wasn't (Fish) was intense and very narrow: we drove from our place in W Sussex, which was badly affected, and after 20m drove out of the devastation within a couple of hundred yards.
I was working in south London back then. Loads of trees down and the roads impassable between home and work (but walkable for me). I had a PPL back then and took a light plane up a couple of days later to see all the trees flattened over Kent and Sussex. Sadly most was just chopped up or left - it was an opportunity for a decent supply of good hardwood timber wasted.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
We are now on day 4 of continuous storms, never had it like this before; I'm looking forward to being as smug as you. :p😘
:p

I'm in the War Room on 'Tactical' Gas central heating today, reserving power in the Powerwalls for Emergency use, if needed.

Tomorrow, I'll switch back to strategic 'Plan A' and use the Heat Pump.

On the Energy Crisis battlefield, it can get complicated... 😁

Last edited:
Glass half empty kind of day, is it? ;)

🥰🥰🥰😇😇😇

Having read the News this morning...

One headline said the recent Storms and Wind Farms had produced nearly 50% of the Countries electricity needs.

One other headline said the recent Storms had cut off nearly 1,000,000 households from the Grid... so they have no access to electricity.

Take your pick 😁

Last edited:
🥰🥰🥰😇😇😇

Having read the News this morning...

One headline said the recent Storms and Wind Farms had produced nearly 50% of the Countries electricity needs.

One other headline said the recent Storms had cut off nearly 1,000,000 households from the Grid... so they have no access to electricity.

Take your pick 😁
As a offshore windfarm HV engineer, makes me a happy bunny :)