Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Practical kilometres in a M3 long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 dual motor says about 450 when full nowadays. Was 500 when new and the BS sticker said 620km.

How many k’s have you done? My 2019 LR shows 480 when fully charged. It showed 500 once when fully charged when it was new.

The “BS sticker” is WLTP which is a standard means of comparison between vehicles, it should not be interpreted as range you actually get in “normal” driving. According to the BS sticker, with 620 km range and 209 Wh/km efficiency, my LR has a 130 kWh battery in it 🤣

How many k’s have you done? My 2019 LR shows 480 when fully charged. It showed 500 once when fully charged when it was new.

The “BS sticker” is WLTP which is a standard means of comparison between vehicles, it should not be interpreted as range you actually get in “normal” driving. According to the BS sticker, with 620 km range and 209 Wh/km efficiency, my LR has a 130 kWh battery in it 🤣
Yeah I know all that. 60k btw.

That is why I am asking, what the guessometer shows on a new single motor Model 3. So I can tell my mate what to expect in real life should he buy one..
My neighbour has a 2020 SR and she says it only display 320km. But newer single motors have a much bigger battery dont they.

Do TeslaFi or Teslascooe have publicly available data to look at?

They certainly give you your own individual data, but your friend needs a range, because no one will be able to tell them exactly what the outcome of their specific use pattern will be.

I have a 2019 M3P and it will get about 420km for me in current condition. My bladder fills before the battery empties, so it doesn’t actually become a practical issue.

Do TeslaFi or Teslascooe have publicly available data to look at?

They certainly give you your own individual data, but your friend needs a range, because no one will be able to tell them exactly what the outcome of their specific use pattern will be.

I have a 2019 M3P and it will get about 420km for me in current condition. My bladder fills before the battery empties, so it doesn’t actually become a practical issue.
Good suggestion. Nah cant see anything like that on my Teslafi account unfortunately. It only compares my to others of similar config.

My friend lives 180km from Melb and wants to be able to do return trips to town with a bit of driving around in town while he is there. All without charging. So bladder will be fixed by the stops mid trip. He does not want his trips to town being dictated by where the is a supercharger.

Reactions: Hairyman
Good suggestion. Nah cant see anything like that on my Teslafi account unfortunately. It only compares my to others of similar config.

My friend lives 180km from Melb and wants to be able to do return trips to town with a bit of driving around in town while he is there. All without charging. So bladder will be fixed by the stops mid trip. He does not want his trips to town being dictated by where the is a supercharger.
I have an October 2021 build LFP battery Model 3, one of the first ones with the approx 60kWh battery. New it read about 439km of rated range, now after around 20k km it reads a rated range of around 420km.
For a highway road trip, mix of 80-100 speed zones, of about 180km it tends to use about 50% of the battery, YMMV(or friends), so I think being able to travel 180km each way plus a bit around town might be stretching the comfort levels of remaining battery. It is surprising how much even 10 minutes will add back in, so your friend may need to be prepared to do that for these types of trips.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that such a trip would be a stretch in Model 3 standard range and would not leave much range for errands around Melbourne whilst he’s there. However the number of DC quick chargers both around and on major roads into the city gives him plenty of choices to stop and charge whilst doing something else and the situation is only going to improve.
12EB1D30-795C-4C58-A2A7-0A3E88E0A359.png

Lots of variables. I can get down to 100 wh/km tailgating a truck on a smooth freeway at 105km/hr. And can do 165 wh/hr on an outback road at 100km/hr.

You have a good 500km range on good roads, but budget for 400km comfortable, no stress range.

I did some analysis on a YouTube video in 2021 3 LR (only 75kw pack. Latter ones have 82kw?)

2022 M3 LR went from Canberra to Central Coast and back again, just under 400km trip. Used 75% of battery going there and used 85% coming back.
EDIT: We used to do the trip in our S85 and stop twice, once at Goulburn and again in Sydney (Broadway and then Macquarie Park when it opened).

Reactions: gm12 and Hairyman
2022 M3 LR went from Canberra to Central Coast and back again, just under 400km trip. Used 75% of battery going there and used 85% coming back.
EDIT: We used to do the trip in our S85 and stop twice, once at Goulburn and again in Sydney (Broadway and then Macquarie Park when it opened).
I think Sydney to Canberra is the hard-stick for what range is required by EV's in Australia. I.e. 400km with a bit to spare.

Reactions: YAnthony
I think Sydney to Canberra is the hard-stick for what range is required by EV's in Australia. I.e. 400km with a bit to spare.
I agree with you about it being the yardstick for acceptable range.

It requires more energy from Sydney to Canberra because of the increase in elevation, however I've found that both my M3 SR+ and MY RWD make it easily. It's a 290km trip for me from the north of Sydney, here's my M3 results from a while back: Model 3 RWD 2022 Efficiency - Canberra to Sydney

HI

Thinking of changing my 2019 M3 SR+ for a new M3 long range.
Can anyone give me an idea of the practical freeway range of a 2022 long range M3.
I know there are many variables but it would be good to get some info from people who actually have the LR.

Thanks in advance.
Greg
These videos may help you get a sense of what's possible.

Last edited:
It requires more energy from Sydney to Canberra because of the increase in elevation, however I've found that both my M3 SR+ and MY RWD make it easily.
As a datapoint on this, for my Model 3 Long Range (early 2021 version, ie 75kWh LG battery, about 68000km driven now so not a brand new battery either), from the furthest point from Canberra that is still "Sydney" (on the Northern Beaches), starting with 100% SoC - and aircon, etc all on auto, no hypermiling stuff going on - ends up with about 20% at the Supercharger near Canberra Airport, so starting from anywhere else - and if you have the latest Model 3 LR with the bigger battery - would have even more charge than that remaining.

So put another way, 80% SoC used for about 340km uphill and at highway speeds.

I just saw the Tessie app now measures charge cycles. A cycle is charging from 0 to 100%. If you charge 3 times from 20% to 53%,. (33%),. That counts for one charge cycle.

Anyway, I've done 35,000km with less than 100 charge cycles. Tesla batteries are good for 1500 cycles, so should be fine for 530,000 km.

Screenshot_20230419-125850.png

Reactions: Vostok and cafz