Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Ap MCU 2 Upgrade 2013 Model S 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my car from SC. My MCU 1 went out in May. Wanted MCU 2 and was told it was not available. While waiting for MCU 1 replacement, someone called me on July 3 and offered MCU 2 as an option. He said it's easier to get MCU 2 than MCU 1. So, I opted for MCU 2. The quoted price was $2500 plus tax. When I picked up my car today I was given a $600 discount. I ended up paying $1900 plus tax. He mentioned that this will be the price going forward as far as he knows. My upgrade included a new screen and instrument cluster. My IC is not compatible with MCU 2.

The price they quoted me for MCU 1 was close to $1800 (including tax). Essentially for a couple of hundred dollars more I got MCU 2. Well worth the extra money in my opinion. He said there is still a two to three weeks wait for MCU 2. My brother in-law has MCU 1 in his X under warranty and is scheduled for the end of August for MCU 2 upgrade. He was also quoted the $1900 plus tax. Again, my MCU 1 was out while my brother in-law's MCU 1 is working fine. He just wants the upgrade.

As far as the upgrade, nothing transferred. I think in my case because my MCU was out. I made sure the app works and both keys before leaving the SC.

I want to thank @Akikiki a forum member with all the questions I had with this upgrade.

@Plasmid_Boy, your service ticket via the app should have generated an open text conversation. Ask your SC if price is lower. If they don't know, ask them to contact the Las Vegas SC and ask about the Tesla memo that announced it. Save yourself the hassle of asking and hoping for a refund of $600 by working it out before you take the car in.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just did and waiting for their response.

Reactions: Akikiki
Excited! Been waiting for a confirmation thread of a successful AP0 MCU1 > MCU2 upgrade! Any issues? Hows everything working?
Everything works fine. I've tested almost everything possible. I had to redo all my settings. Nothing was saved in my case. Under trip, everything is zero.

A couple of notes. If you want FM/AM radio stations in your area, sign up for a free Tune in account. Save the stations you want as your favorite. Then sign in to Tune in in the car. It will populate all those stations you set. So I can still listen to local radio stations. Also, I could not log on to YouTube. Akikiki helped me. You have to log on to Plex.tv in the car's browser with your google account. Then you can log on to YouTube. I will post if anything out of the ordinary comes up.

Everything works fine. I've tested almost everything possible. I had to redo all my settings. Nothing was saved in my case. Under trip, everything is zero.

A couple of notes. If you want FM/AM radio stations in your area, sign up for a free Tune in account. Save the stations you want as your favorite. Then sign in to Tune in in the car. It will populate all those stations you set. So I can still listen to local radio stations. Also, I could not log on to YouTube. Akikiki helped me. You have to log on to Plex.tv in the car's browser with your google account. Then you can log on to YouTube. I will post if anything out of the ordinary comes up.

Thank you for posting the service work order invoice. I will see what my local SC says... :cool:

@Plasmid_Boy, your service ticket via the app should have generated an open text conversation. Ask your SC if price is lower. If they don't know, ask them to contact the Las Vegas SC and ask about the Tesla memo that announced it. Save yourself the hassle of asking and hoping for a refund of $600 by working it out before you take the car in.
SC texted back and said that they have not heard about changes to the pricing of MCU2. I sent them the invoice posted earlier in this thread showing $1900 and waiting for their next response.