Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pre conditioning for non-tesla charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution
This may be heretical, but I think preconditioning is overrated. It is a power hog when you are driving, and might save you what, 5 minutes once plugged in? I say let the DCFC and the BMS do the “preconditioing”. The battery will warm up soon enough.
Not possible in Australia.

In Europe Tesla have added a number of third party charging networks to the internal maps.

And the same will eventually happen here.

For now in some areas you can pretend to go to a Tesla Supercharger if it's nearby.

Upvote 0
This may be heretical, but I think preconditioning is overrated. It is a power hog when you are driving, and might save you what, 5 minutes once plugged in? I say let the DCFC and the BMS do the “preconditioing”. The battery will warm up soon enough.
the updated energy app data to seems to support this. switch car to 'miles' (rather that %) and look at the energy app while navigating to a supercharger. it'll say something like "preconditioning for supercharging cost 5 miles to save .2min charging time". At least this was roughly my experience on my last trip...

Upvote 1
This depends entirely on the temperature. In this test at -15C, pre-conditioning made a HUGE difference. The car that was not pre-conditioned did not warm up soon enough. Horror stories about Teslas taking forever to charge are usually due to lack of pre-conditioning.

Avoid Slow Charging In The Cold!
Here's Why You Have To "Yo-Yo" Your EV Heading To DC Fast Charge

Also, S3XY Buttons say they support a pre-conditioning function (in beta).

In the video pre-conditioning took about 7% of the battery. And as SageBrush said, in a Tesla the heat in the battery gets recycled to the cabin.

Upvote 1
This depends entirely on the temperature. In this test at -15C, pre-conditioning made a HUGE difference.

Fair enough. Those sorts of temperatures almost never happen in Australia. The “coldest” SuperCharger is currently in Cooma, which has an average daytime temperature in winter of 11.3°C, average nighttime temperature of -2.6°C, and a record low of -11.4°C.

Reactions: DasBoot and B3AU
Upvote 0
If you are on a trip where multiple chargers are necessary and the temps are cold then pre heating battery is very much a welcome feature. Saving time at each charge helps everyone especially if the DCFC are getting hammered.
You get away faster and those waiting will also appreciate it.

And for those who miss the good old days of charging at 30 kW, they can hide their destination

Reactions: elddum
Upvote 0
Also, S3XY Buttons say they support a pre-conditioning function (in beta).
Yes I have found the pre-conditioning function working well with S3XY buttons.

For testing purposes I turned off climate control while in Park, so no fans or compressor running, with windows down and brake pedal pressed so power steering etc is all operating. Pressed a S3XY button that I had assigned using the App. Can hear fans and heat pump start and looking at the App showing the interface called Commander from memory it shows pre-conditioning battery in text and the kW amount jumps to 4kW from a 0-1 reading (blinks between 0 to 1 meaning no decimal is shown).

I would certainly use that function but only in colder weather I think. Heating the battery in warmer weather is just wasting energy IMO (unless I was in a hurry Lol).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
I'd say based on the below it may be a while before we see any 3rd party chargers showing up as qualified.

Qualified Charging Station Requirements

For a charging station to be included in Tesla’s navigation system, it must meet these conditions over a 60-day period:

1. At least one compatible charging connector
  2. Frequently used by Tesla drivers at least once every four days
  3. Average charge success rate is 90% or higher
To detect inoperable chargers quickly and provide the best experience for our customers, stations will be removed from Tesla’s navigation system if any of the following conditions are met over a 14-day period:

1. No charge sessions detected
  2. Average charge success rate falls below 70%

Reactions: Hairyman
Upvote 0
I have 2024.2.7. Yesterday I built a route with an Evie charger as the first waypoint. I started moving and the display was saying that preconditioning was happening. I did not complete the trip as it was just a test, but I think preconditioning with selected third party chargers is now here!

And I can confirm from a recent drive that if a DCFC is not listed in the “Charging” section of the Nav, then manually navigating to it will not trigger preconditioning.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Upvote 0