Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll"

In which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you assuming some kind of mechanical failure in the Corolla

Not at all ! I just think you “Mercans” don’t realise how much petrol costs outside the USA
people who are used to buying lower end cars aren't going to suddenly start buying more expensive cars just because their TCO is lower.?
🤦‍♂️

How about the people who normally buy a €50K ice car ? (A BMW 320D with a few options??)

Will they consider an EV ?

Of course they will !!

How about the people who normally buy a €50K ice car ? (A BMW 320D with a few options??)

Will they consider an EV ?

Of course they will !!
I think you forgot what we're talking about. I'm saying EV adoption will track inversely with EV pricing.

Obviously there are people who will buy them at current prices - like, you know, us. But since a lot of people aren't buying $50k cars I think it's relevant to predict at what rate EV pricing will come down and correlate that with number of sales at various pricing brackets.

Might we hit the 50% sales mark when average EV pricing is half way between today's average EV price and the lowest price of ICE? Or maybe we'd need to be more than 50% of the way to that low mark because most people buy cars in the 20-30k range, for example.

Utter rubbish !

Why do I say that.

I doubt that there is a single new car buyer anywhere in the world (particularly in the west) who doesn’t not consider (i) depreciation (ii) fuel costs (iii) servicing costs (iv) warranty
I plan to buy every 10 years, and I assume a future value of $0.
For EVs I just assume fuel will be no more expensive than an efficient hybrid.
I do consider the warranty, but they're pretty much all the same.

The poll merely asks for a prediction regardless of mitigating factors (and there are many). If you believe it is more of a supply problem than a demand problem, you adjust your prediction to reflect that opinion. So what year did you pick?

What I am postulating is as has supply increases and familiarization and support of EV permeates the population the demand will go up, which will trigger more production.
This becomes a sliding target to hit.
Supply is also constrained by battery production, from what I read is barely able to keep up with demand, but production is rapidly accelerating.

IOW, too unpredictable right now for me to put a date down. Darts are better predictor.

Reactions: DrGriz
Unless we start opening up more mining for the minerals that will be required we will be relying on China even more than we already do. Whether it's Oil or Precious Metals we need more mining in the U.S.

It is difficult to go green with electric cars and not increase mining in the US. If I understand correctly expanded rebates will only available if a large portion of the battery components are derived domestically. That in and of itself would stimulate domestic mining (but also disqualify about 70% of current electric brands from rebates).

Reactions: MontyFloyd
It is difficult to go green with electric cars and not increase mining in the US. If I understand correctly expanded rebates will only available if a large portion of the battery components are derived domestically. That in and of itself would stimulate domestic mining (but also disqualify about 70% of current electric brands from rebates).
They have to be from the USA or any country with a free trade agreement with the USA.
And there's the North American manufacturing, so it's trying to move as much of the supply chain as possible from China to Mexico.

Agree. Nobody needs to be lured into buying EVs right now. All capacity is more than spoken for.
Exactly. And we’re back to availability again and it isn’t looking good for the next two years at least. After test driving an Audi Q4 e-tron yesterday I learned the dealer is allocated exactly 3 of them, one each month for the next quarter after which they can sell their one demo car, so 4 total for 90 days. I don’t know if that’s typical, but even that level of availability is higher than the Ioniq5 Limited, which I’ll buy immediately when I can find one that is available (and without the in-your-face huge additional dealer markup or useless add-ons…I’ll take “Nitrogen-Filled Tires” for $500 Alex).