Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: M3 will have Autopilot standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, people are (rightly) assuming the autopilot SAFETY features included does not include auto-steer and other autopilot "convenience" features. I think there is a case to be made for auto-steer being more of a safety feature than collision avoidance since it could stop the vehicle from getting into the position of being in a collision. Hopefully Tesla pushes auto-steer as a safety feature and thus include it standard.

So, people are (rightly) assuming the autopilot SAFETY features included does not include auto-steer and other autopilot "convenience" features. I think there is a case to be made for auto-steer being more of a safety feature than collision avoidance since it could stop the vehicle from getting into the position of being in a collision. Hopefully Tesla pushes auto-steer as a safety feature and thus include it standard.
That would represent a change from how they are charging for it on the S and the X. On the S and the X, AP hardware is included to enable lane departure warning, auto-braking, blind spot warning and parking sensors. But you have to purchase the AutoPilot convenience features to get auto-steer, auto-park and Summon. I would imagine they'll do the same thing on the Model 3. Frankly I think Auto-steer (combined with TACC) is the coolest part of AutoPilot so I think they should continue to charge for it.

From the Model S portion of the website on Autopilot:

"Autopilot allows Model S to steer within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by using active, traffic-aware cruise control. Digital control of motors, brakes, and steering helps avoid collisions from the front and sides, as well as preventing the car from wandering off the road. Model S can also scan for a parking space, alert you when one is available, and parallel park on command."

I'm not sure if you're insinuating that autosteer will veer out of the way to avoid a collision, which to my knowledge it doesn't do. But I think that auto emergency braking or TACC would be your sole source of avoiding accidents. While autosteer is better than anything else currently out there, it's far from perfect and you'd be a fool to rely solely on it especially if you're betting your life.

Who knows what will happen when the Model 3 is released. It can be eons better than it's current incarnation. For now AP is good (for the most part) staying between lanes. I don't even use AP if there aren't clearly marked lanes on the freeway.

There's no way. Autosteer is the main halo of the Autopilot system (TACC is about as impressive but similar systems are much more common.)

There's no way that Tesla would make Autosteer standard but continue to charge for other Autopilot functions - at least until Autopilot becomes much more advanced (I could see a point where they give you most of the current Autopilot package free, but if you want it following the navigation and going door to door you have to pay or something like that.)