Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model 3 Orders to reach 100k in 24 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want a discount on the new Tesla Model 3? Get in line

upload_2016-3-31_10-54-3.png

I don't think it's going to take 24hrs to reach 100k....look at the posts on Twitter and Facebook and you'll see there's easily been hundreds of reservations per store in the first few hours alone. Wouldn't surprise me if they reach 1,000 per store before tonight....multiply by ~90 stores and also note that many people have made multiple reservations.

First time poster, sitting here at my desk during lunch reading these forums as I always do. Saw this post and immediately started giggling and tearing up at the same time. So many people don't understand how epic this day is! Wish I could have been in line today (Paramus, NJ is closest at 3+ hours away) but I'm chomping at the bit to reserve tonight!

Welcome to the forum! Awesome first post.

My prediction of 50K+ looks to be very conservative. It looks like just the store reservations will exceed 50K.

I am 250 miles from the closest store. I'm working today so I have to wait until tonight to put in my reservation.

Nobody in this thread IIRC has mentioned the single thing I found the most amazing. Of the roughly 100 people in line at Dadeland when they opened this morning I was the only one who appeared to be a Tesla owner. Several people were asking others and nobody admitted to being a current Tesla owner. There were a few Leaf owners, some i3 drivers but almost all with whom I spoke were people who had never even driven a Tesla. I was blown away by that. One Tesla employee said he'd expected about 20% Tesla owners, but was not overly surprised since he said almost all the inquiries during the last few days were from ICE drivers.

The episode that was strangest was when a doze or so asked me to explain Superchargers, Level 2, CHAdeMO and range. A couple of the Leaf drivers were helping out with explanations. The two i3 drivers I met were clueless.

I did explain CharIn and that Tesla had recently joined the group but only an electrical engineer waiting to place an order understood the subject. It seems few people understand that the impact of that is to allow fTesla to expand free access without necessarily building everything alone, so probably vastly increasing EV infrastructure globally. Model 3 must have been the cause. Lots of techies seem to have been placing orders with that in mind, but they cannot have been more an 2 or 3 %, even though they are major influencers.

Nobody in this thread IIRC has mentioned the single thing I found the most amazing. Of the roughly 100 people in line at Dadeland when they opened this morning I was the only one who appeared to be a Tesla owner. Several people were asking others and nobody admitted to being a current Tesla owner. There were a few Leaf owners, some i3 drivers but almost all with whom I spoke were people who had never even driven a Tesla. I was blown away by that. One Tesla employee said he'd expected about 20% Tesla owners, but was not overly surprised since he said almost all the inquiries during the last few days were from ICE drivers.

The episode that was strangest was when a doze or so asked me to explain Superchargers, Level 2, CHAdeMO and range. A couple of the Leaf drivers were helping out with explanations. The two i3 drivers I met were clueless.

I did explain CharIn and that Tesla had recently joined the group but only an electrical engineer waiting to place an order understood the subject. It seems few people understand that the impact of that is to allow fTesla to expand free access without necessarily building everything alone, so probably vastly increasing EV infrastructure globally. Model 3 must have been the cause. Lots of techies seem to have been placing orders with that in mind, but they cannot have been more an 2 or 3 %, even though they are major influencers.

In the Denver line up, I was chatting with a bunch of people, and one woman has a MS. The rest of us are Tesla fans, but do not currently own an EV. I think one had test driven a MS. I have sat in one, but have not driven one. First time poster (today) btw. Set up my account while waiting in line this morning. Been reading for a while.

I think there may be 100,000 reservations just from the stores today. I don't know if the servers will be able to handle the volume tonight. Exciting times!!!

Anecdotal: Of the half-dozen or so people I spoke to in line this morning, half were reserving two (including yours truly). Plural of anedcote is not data and all that, and some people in line came in pairs where only one reservation was to be placed. But it would not surprise me if the number of reservations per line-stander exceeds 1.

I read through the tesla lines post, it looks as though there were an average of 200 people at each store upon opening. The lines were just for opening, I'm sure throughout the day today more people come reserve their model 3. So a very conservative number could be 300 reservations per store. If there's roughly 90 stores in the US, that puts it at 27,000 reservations.

How many international stores? Probably another 25,000 reservations, at least. I think we're over 50,000 total.

How many reserve online tonight when it opens up? Probably a good few. Maybe another 50,000.

I think 100,000 in 24 hours is very very likely.

... But it would not surprise me if the number of reservations per line-stander exceeds 1.
Nor I. In the hours I spent in line most people who spoke about that said they were reserving more than one. The two people ahead of me were ordering two each and a couple just behind me were also ordering two each. Anecdotal it is, but I wish we had good exit interview to know if that is really likely to be true. Maybe we'll have a clue tonight.

Reactions: Red Sage

I had an opposite experience anecdotally. I was #11 in line and of the first 15, I believe we had four owners total (one a S/X/Roadster owner, one S and X, and the others just S owners). Myself and another person up high were EV drivers (Leaf) and rest were ICE owners.

While waiting, I saw about two Model S's drive by, one Roadster, three Volts, and two Leafs not including my own.

One person ahead of me had not heard about a Model 3 until very recently and actually didn't know much about the car or Tesla in general, he drove an Audi A4.

Either way, very diverse group and very promising. Definitely seems to be a huge amount of interest from pre-existing EV owners, that's going to put a world of hurt on people like GM who don't want to build out or contribute to a viable fast charging network.

If the tally spreadsheet is accurate, there were 25,000 line-waiters in the US & Canada (so far, we still have plenty of lunch-breakers and stop-by-after-work people, and there's 80+ people in Honolulu still in line!). Not all line waiters ordered (my wife came for fun, for example, and I saw one or two others with family members there) but of course plenty of people put in two reservations, so 25,000 is a good estimate for "so far".

I love the optimism but lots of people still want to kick the tires for themselves first before they would open up their wallets.

What an outdated concept! And I'm 72. As a kid, I worked on a sales lot. I knew lots of people who would wander around the parking lot and ask questions that had no relevance, and the sales guy would tell them whatever he wanted. If the color of the car was around, it got sold. Nobody can tell anything by taking a test drive other than "it's loud!!" or that it seems fast because "it's loud". I never heard until this forum that the way the dash was laid out, or the number of cupholders, could ever affect a car's sales.

And, then, of course, you're not buying anything with your deposit. You're just standing in line. If you decide later, after you have kicked a tire (hurt your toe?), that it's not what you want, you get your money back, no hard feelings.

If you prefer, on the other hand, to wait and kick tires first, which really has nothing to do with anyone's wallet, you simply have voted to wait another several years, at which time you will probably be kicking yourself in the butt, rather than kicking tires.