Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preference: manually shut front doors or depress handle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im curious how you current X owners choose to close your front doors when exiting the car? If you haven't yet taken delivery do you think you'll just push the door closed (as in traditional cars) or do you plan on closing it via depressing the handle from the exterior? Perhaps auto close if you have the premium pkg.

Does anyone know if just shutting the front doors manually by shoving them closed throws off calibration or has potential long term impacts on the door motors?

Im curious how you current X owners choose to close your front doors when exiting the car? If you haven't yet taken delivery do you think you'll just push the door closed (as in traditional cars) or do you plan on closing it via depressing the handle from the exterior? Perhaps auto close if you have the premium pkg.

Does anyone know if just shutting the front doors manually by shoving them closed throws off calibration or has potential long term impacts on the door motors?

I would press the handle, I would assume that would be better for the calibration and alignment.

I press the handle, but I am press-handle-challenged. The handle buttons are stiff, so a misplaced press does not trigger the button and shuts the door manually. Now I always "pinch" press (one hand on the inside and outside of the door, squeeze, and let go...)

If you push the door closed, I cannot imagine there is damage unless you are clearly abusing the car: the seals stop it naturally at "just a crack" ... and then the step motor gently pulls it in.

The auto close for the driver...For the passenger I will just click the lock on the key fob and it will close. I have had people do the archaic method of manually closing the door and that doesn't hurt anything at all. I have also done the pinch method in the beginning. Pressing the handle has to be done with precision as someone posted earlier so that isn't the best. You can also pull the handle from the inside with the door open and it will close, you just have to take a step back when doing so. For me the best option is the key fob.

I agree with let I close as I walk away.

My wife and are also getting use to how to close the passenger door. Since it doesn't appear the passengers door shuts automatically, I use the center console to open the door for my wife then use the center console to shut her door and then use the console to open the driver door and walk away and allow the driver door to shut on its own.

I turned off my auto open/close the other day to go to a parking garage. It was very frustrating not having the door closed for me. Totally laziness now.

In the absence of autoclose I would either push the door close or if the lock on the top of the fob would to that it would be great.

Pressing the handle is tricky because the door doesn't resist and you can't get enough force to click the button. That is unless you pinch the door handle or use two hands. I usually just gently push the door closed or let it close for me when I walk away.

Pressing the handle is tricky because the door doesn't resist and you can't get enough force to click the button. That is unless you pinch the door handle or use two hands. I usually just gently push the door closed or let it close for me when I walk away.

I don't have an X, but that was my impression too from the test drive, where we spent some time mucking around with this. I always had to hold the door still with one hand and push the handle with the other, at which point it seemed easier to just slam it shut.