Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do note that the antenna in the car is much larger than the one in your phone
Yes, and its located inside the left side mirror
The larger one is LTE and the smaller one is Wifi

(Unable to provide proper attribution for this photo - was screenshot from another forum some time ago)

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 1.33.39 pm.png

My other car is a Ford. Interestingly its connectivity works on Telstra/Optus/Vodafone from one SIM card. Telstra is good, but not perfect (eg my office has amazing Vodafone coverage but almost no Telstra coverage). I wonder why Tesla don’t use a similar multi-carrier setup.

Yes, and its located inside the left side mirror
The larger one is LTE and the smaller one is Wifi

(Unable to provide proper attribution for this photo - was screenshot from another forum some time ago)

View attachment 1007265
It is very interesting and good to know these are accessible. You can just put a switch there / pull the plugs to disable all communication if needed, meanwhile bt and rfid will still work. I'm thinking about the "leave the world behind" scenario.

We spent Xmas driving around Tasmania and Telstra reception does drop out in some of the regional areas or drop to 3G (which Telstra is shutting down from 30th June).
When the 3G is shut down, those frequencies will be reallocated to 4G/5G services. (Different frequencies have different signal propagation characteristics, and Telstra's 3G is using some of the best frequencies that they lease).

When the 3G is shut down, those frequencies will be reallocated to 4G/5G services. (Different frequencies have different signal propagation characteristics, and Telstra's 3G is using some of the best frequencies that they lease).
The question be how long will there be nothing before they do it
Have a few places around me drop to 3G and I am Melb suburbs and Telstra

Have a few places around me drop to 3G and I am Melb suburbs and Telstra
I wouldn't think very long. That bandwidth is a valuable asset, it doesn't make economic sense for Telstra to let it sit idle for a long period.

My 2014 Model S still uses 3G connectivity and I’ve noticed very little reduction in service. I‘m waiting until the service is badly compromised before I pay for an upgrade.
The shutdown is going to proceed quite quickly once it starts.

There won’t be any period of “nothing”. 4G on the 700 MHz band will be installed at every 3G-only site before 3G is closed down, to provide equivalent service.

And @cafz is right - the spectrum freed up by closing 3G will be used for 5G. That doesn’t mean though that all these 3G outback and remote sites are going to get 5G, but they will get 4G.

My 2014 Model S still uses 3G connectivity and I’ve noticed very little reduction in service. I‘m waiting until the service is badly compromised before I pay for an upgrade.

3G service will disappear very quickly after 30 June, not just “compromised” but cease completely. I don’t know exactly how long it will take Telstra to shut it down, but I would expect a matter of days or maybe a week, not months. 2G got turned off very quickly.

Reactions: paulp
There won’t be any period of “nothing”. 4G on the 700 MHz band will be installed at every 3G-only site before 3G is closed down, to provide equivalent service.

And @cafz is right - the spectrum freed up by closing 3G will be used for 5G. That doesn’t mean though that all these 3G outback and remote sites are going to get 5G, but they will get 4G.
Hopefully seems a lot of undercover carparks you get 3G only.