Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more question......
Under Features -
What music & media are available with Standard Connectivity?
"Premium Connectivity is required for In-car streaming music & media over cellular"

Just looking for some simple clarification here.....this reads to me like I will NOT be able to stream Pandora/Spotify/personal playlists via bluetooth from my cell phone?? Subscription required, right?

If that's so, then .....how can the car tell the difference between my bluetooth signal when I'm talking on the phone vs bluetooth signal for music streaming??? I don't "get" it?

One more question......
Under Features -
What music & media are available with Standard Connectivity?
"Premium Connectivity is required for In-car streaming music & media over cellular"

Just looking for some simple clarification here.....this reads to me like I will NOT be able to stream Pandora/Spotify/personal playlists via bluetooth from my cell phone?? Subscription required, right?

If that's so, then .....how can the car tell the difference between my bluetooth signal when I'm talking on the phone vs bluetooth signal for music streaming??? I don't "get" it?
Over cellular as in the car's LTE, not using your phone. Bluetooth is unaffected by the change.

Reactions: northWETwa
I have premium connectivity but never use satellite maps because imo it looks hideous and ruins the flow of the UI. I can clearly see I'm alone with this.
You're definitely not. ;) I almost never use the satellite view. Just makes it harder to see what's important. The traffic visualization, OTOH, is worth gold in the ever-congested Bay Area. I have often been able to circumvent dark red areas and saved a ton of time. It's surprisingly accurate and almost real-time.

I'm pretty confident it's just a matter of them pushing out a change to set this value to PREMIUM for the SR+ to start seeing sat maps and traffic. I’m sure that will happen fairly soon.

Attachments

• 0E4ED2E1-DCC1-4469-BB9B-362E7279C905.jpeg
    0E4ED2E1-DCC1-4469-BB9B-362E7279C905.jpeg
    776 KB · Views: 68
  • Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sherlo and Jedi2155
The 6/30/18 cutoff was a demand lever to make people order their cars with so-called lifetime premium connectivity. As mentioned above Tesla doesn’t mention the one year or subscription anymore on the configurator.

Tesla obviously doesn’t even have the system and code in place to take the subscription. Come July 2019 no one will be charged and no one’s premium connectivity gets disabled. You’ve heard it here first.
Mmm fake news?

I am probably a minority on this thread, but I am glad this is at least one early adopter promise they kept.

I'm happy Tesla is finally charging for connectivity because I'm finally seeing some value for ordering on 6/30....literally ordered last minute to make that cutoff and was a driving reason why I ordered when I did.
PremiumConnectivity.PNG

I reread my vehicle sales agreement and delivery documentation. No where did it say that "premium connectivity" was not included in the sales price and only available for 12 months. Anyone know where this is documented in what we paid for?

It said the 1 year if you click details on premium connectivity. It has been on the site a long time as evidenced on the Archive.org.
upload_2019-12-7_13-20-43.png

Unless they change it in a future update, once you put the car in drive the wifi turns off so currently that’s not possible.

As been mentioned previous, you can re-enable wifi once you enter drive. The question is whether those features disappear entirely while you're in drive.

Ordered before the cutoff back in 2018, I am happy to report my Tesla account actually lists free unlimited under my 3 details. I have always been a little concerned that when they implement this that they would have messed this up. $120/year savings will add up over the life of the car, nice!

My car isn't showing traffic maps or satellite either. I did get the trial notification.
Neither is mine. This kinda reminds me of Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown and just as he runs up and goes to kick it, she yanks the ball away.... thanks Elon, I mean Lucy.

Same old, same old, but that's OK, still not interested, was just curious based on KellyDI's post.

Last edited:
It's not that simple. Using a phone as a cellular data modem via BT is an entirely different protocol stack and simply hasn't been implemented by Tesla as far as we can tell.

bummer. that's the one of the major reasons I like echo auto, no hotspots to turn on. it connects via BT.

I wonder if I can use solar referral $100 to pay for this

ordered or delivered?
It seems pretty clear cut to me. I have no doubt sat maps and traffic will be out on SR+ very soon. It's a software change that's already possible for them to enable with the existing firmware so it's likely just a matter of getting things going on the backend with their billing system, much like how buying FSD works.

why not include sat maps and traffic in the trial then. My SR still has traditional maps, really want to try out traffic 1st