Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
then reservation holders who were non-owners were next for waiting in line and early ones also were given the die-cast when they picked up their cars, then at some point it was opened to the public who hadn't reserved prior.
Not entirely accurate. If you read some of the threads going back to 2018 there were Model 3’s being made available to the general public prior to early reservation holders. Case in point, when I canceled my reservation in June 2018 and ordered in July I was able to get my Model 3 in August. Anyhoo, it worked out. Would’ve been nice to get premium connectivity for free but I think I’m going to wait and try the tethering route to see how that goes. I really only use the streaming radio, so not sure if the subscription features would be worth it for me at this point.

Ordered before 7/1, and many people who ordered after me who ordered the same config or different got a big price break in their car. Totally came expecting to read pages of complaints here and people who apparently ordered a car without paying attention to what their car trim and options were. Surprised given the $s involved. Not surprised either that people don’t read the manual to a totally new high tech car which is unlike any out there.

While $10 /mo is merely a starbucks, not sure it's really worth it, at least not for me. I installed a 7" display in front of me that gives me WAZE and my speed. Tesla premium, while it does give you real time traffic, does not give you things like accidents, cops, construction, all those things that can impact your drive.

View attachment 485778

Also, there are 7 items in the package (see below), 1 of which we already get (navigation) and another 4 I get because my phone is set as a mobile hot spot, so it really gets down to what I noted above, real time navigation. As for the Satellite view, who cares, it's just more clutter on the screen and adds no real value and I prefer the basic 2d and 3d view WAZE offers.

View attachment 485784

If Elon wants to offer a meaningful free trial, he should offer FSD to those of us that did not select it when we ordered our 3's. That would bring him the most bang for his buck.

Beyond that, allow us to buy more range and/or power when/if possible.

nice mount... link? does you wifi auto-connect or need to manually enable each time?

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
You're definitely not. ;) I almost never use the satellite view. Just makes it harder to see what's important. The traffic visualization, OTOH, is worth gold in the ever-congested Bay Area. I have often been able to circumvent dark red areas and saved a ton of time. It's surprisingly accurate and almost real-time.

Does it show accidents,construction zones, and CalTrans lane closures, what about police activity?

Reactions: BrakeDome
nice mount... link? does your wifi auto-connect or need to manually enable each time?

It auto connects when I turn the tab on. The usb connector is magnetic, so no wearing out the female connection and it's plugged into the 12v adapter in the rear console. I charge it once a week while driving and lasts the whole week.

Tablet Connector.jpg

Here's the link: Center Dash Mount

And a video:

Last edited:
Does it show accidents,construction zones, and CalTrans lane closures, what about police activity?
It doesn't show any kind of incident or "police activity" explicitly via icons (like Waze) if that's what you mean. It only shows the traffic density by increasingly dark red markings (from which you can often infer if an accident has happened ahead).

Reactions: St☰v☰
I'm happy Tesla is finally charging for connectivity because I'm finally seeing some value for ordering on 6/30....literally ordered last minute to make that cutoff and was a driving reason why I ordered when I did.
View attachment 485838

It said the 1 year if you click details on premium connectivity. It has been on the site a long time as evidenced on the Archive.org.
View attachment 485843

As been mentioned previous, you can re-enable wifi once you enter drive. The question is whether those features disappear entirely while you're in drive.

You are happy that others are going to be charged now? What a great guy!

I signed nothing that said my connectivity would be changed in one year.

nice mount... link? does you wifi auto-connect or need to manually enable each time?

They sent me the below when I reviewed their product, you, or anyone, can use the link through the first week of March.

Please enjoy 12% OFF your next purchase or share the discount code with a family member or friend: AQ29HVEO58

Review Promo Code Expires: 03-06-2020

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Not entirely accurate. If you read some of the threads going back to 2018 there were Model 3’s being made available to the general public prior to early reservation holders. Case in point, when I canceled my reservation in June 2018 and ordered in July I was able to get my Model 3 in August. Anyhoo, it worked out. Would’ve been nice to get premium connectivity for free but I think I’m going to wait and try the tethering route to see how that goes. I really only use the streaming radio, so not sure if the subscription features would be worth it for me at this point.

I was aware of some of those posts here on TMC. Didn't someone bring to Elon's attention on Twitter that non-owner, non-res people were able to order and were getting their cars before that group and Elon said that wasn't right and stepped in? At least that's what I recall. One thing I feel about Elon is that he does try to be fair. Just like when he saw some owners and how they were using their Referral codes and again with owners using their cars for commercial uber/lift-like services and using the superchargers multiple times a day filling up spots others needed for their regular travels. I assume when he said even his mom had to wait her time in line for a car it was true. I know at some point the whole ordering just went public some point after early res people were taken care of. When ordering went public, production had been boosted by quite a bit and I assume that was part of the reason you only had a one month wait.

You are happy that others are going to be charged now? What a great guy!

I signed nothing that said my connectivity would be changed in one year.

You didn't have to sign anything. It was how the service was being advertised on the website at the time of order. Some people didn't read everything available to them but it was there.