Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that is correct.

I will also add, Standard Connectivity loses the ability to visualize traffic, but live traffic data is still taken into consideration during navigation.

Additionally, Standard Connectivity will typically only receive firmware updates via WiFi, unless Tesla deems the update to be critical. In that rare case, the firmware will download over LTE for both Standard and Premium Connectivity.

There's also some good information on this support page, particularly the FAQ bit toward the end: Connectivity

Thanks very much @willow_hiller ! Before I pass my post and your reply on to my friend I just want to be sure I understand your distinction correctly. Currently if she is Navigating (but driving w/o Autopilot) with the free premium, if there is an accident ahead delaying traffic, her screen will show the upcoming stretch of road differently so that is clear. It might adjust it's recommended route based on this data .
If she doesn't subscribe and drops to standard, it would still adjust it's recommended route but not visually show her why that is a good idea.
Thanks again for your help!

I placed my Model 3 LR Dual Motor order on August 9, 2018 (that is the date shown on my Tesla Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement).
Which date are you looking at? On the first page "Vehicle Configuration" on the left side it says "Accepted by Customer on" which seems to be the order date while on the second page "Final Price Sheet" at the top says "Date of Agreement" which seems to be the delivery date.

The Premium Connectivity is based on the order date (not reservation nor delivery date).

Yeah the entitled ones are annoying, but honestly no one is forcing them to buy it. If you don’t like it don’t pay for it, but arguing online like Tesla owes you something is petty.

I remember Tesla offered LR RWD again for a short period then stopped again. Is that when you bought it? If so that’s not right you shouldn’t be getting charged for premium connectivity as you had the premium interior. Perhaps it’s an oversight for them?
Has nothing to do with model. It’s when you purchased.

I signed up for premium but as of last night still didn't have traffic/satellite.

When I went out to my car to check for it, I initially forgot to "turn on" the traffic in the map view. I got so caught up in looking for the traffic to appear on the map, that for some seconds, I neglected to tap the map, get the sub-menu in the lower right corner, and then tap the traffic light icon. After that, it was there.

You could try a software restart, but it seems most here in the thread are getting complete premium connectivity functions within 24 hours of paying for it.

if there is an accident ahead delaying traffic, her screen will show the upcoming stretch of road differently so that is clear. It might adjust it's recommended route based on this data .
If she doesn't subscribe and drops to standard, it would still adjust it's recommended route but not visually show her why that is a good idea.

Correct. Premium Connectivity can show red on the map for bad traffic, while Standard Connectivity does not. But both Premium and Standard have a setting in the navigation (the gear icon after you plug in a destination) where you can set "Reroute if it saves more than X minutes." I think X defaults to 15 minutes. Both are constantly keeping track of the traffic, and if the extra travel time due to a traffic jam exceeds the "Reroute if" time setting, the GPS will pick a new route.

Hello all. Ordered car a few days ago. I’m super interested in fully understanding how this mapping system works with or without the subscription. Got a LR AWD model.

So without the subscription, the display does not actually display traffic. I get that. And no satellite map. But, if the navigation is done on Tesla’s servers somewhere, does it still take into account traffic data they have and still sent to the car?

I wouldn’t really care to not have satellite maps if regular maps and navigation calculations were still taking into account traffic that isn’t necessarily displayed. Does that make sense?

another question, not addressed in the manual at all...

How do you know if your route and any regions are already download offline to the car? This is easily understood with Google maps for phones, as you can select many offline maps and then you’re only concern is data connection quality when traveling for traffic data etc.

the user manual of course says nothing about this

Yes...and then in March the explicit mentions of 1 year were removed.

From the FAQ I posted the 2018 link to? That would be pretty weird.

Do you have a March 2019 copy of the connectivity FAQ that shows they removed the 1 year language?

And the facts are, if you ordered in March 2019, there was nothing on the order page, agreement of sale, anything in fine print that indicated premium connectivity was only for a year.

Was there anything to indicate the service was free for life?

I agree that would suck but Tesla NEVER included any premium service for free.

Yes it requires you to already have a premium account and to log in

For spotify that's true- For slacker it does include a better-than-free account (though it's the mid-tier one, not the top tier)

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Hello all. Ordered car a few days ago. I’m super interested in fully understanding how this mapping system works with or without the subscription. Got a LR AWD model.

So without the subscription, the display does not actually display traffic. I get that. And no satellite map. But, if the navigation is done on Tesla’s servers somewhere, does it still take into account traffic data they have and still sent to the car?

I wouldn’t really care to not have satellite maps if regular maps and navigation calculations were still taking into account traffic that isn’t necessarily displayed. Does that make sense?

another question, not addressed in the manual at all...

How do you know if your route and any regions are already download offline to the car? This is easily understood with Google maps for phones, as you can select many offline maps and then you’re only concern is data connection quality when traveling for traffic data etc.

the user manual of course says nothing about this

Welcome, and congrats on the new purchase.

You understand correctly. Regular maps, no traffic visualization, but yes the traffic data is still supplied for route calculation purposes and ETAs. However, I can tell you from experience driving around the Orange County/LA area that the traffic data is not very accurate, nor is the road closure data. It routinely directs me on these wacky routes that nobody would ever take, and it often tells me to turn onto a road that is closed for construction even when Google Maps on my Iphone shows the road correctly as being closed.

So you will have to decide whether the overall package is worth the $10. I like the satellite maps and the traffic visualization (even if not always accurate) but I still use Google Maps on my Iphone if I’m not sure where I’m going.

Yes, still uses traffic data for routing, just doesn't display it

Do you have a March 2019 copy of the connectivity FAQ that shows they removed the 1 year language?

For spotify that's true- For slacker it does include a better-than-free account (though it's the mid-tier one, not the top tier)
When I ordered my replacement car I asked if they were giving it away since the 1yr free blurb was missing. They said no it is still 1yr. This was when I asked if I could have it transferred from the totaled car to the new one. Which I was told no.

The car always has the maps for the entire region available for offline use. (So for example North America.)

I think you’re being a little hard on people here. The average user does not go digging through the Tesla blog section of their website before buying a car.

I don’t recall the 1 year term being removed, but based on the screen shots from the March time frame it appears they were. And no, it does not say the “service” is free for life. The problem is that not everyone understands that these features are a “service”. The description also explains that the car has heated seats and a premium sound system, but nobody would think that after one year you would have to pay a fee to keep using those features either. All of the features of the interior are bundled into one description with nothing to distinguish which are features and which are part of a “service”.

Couple that with the fact that Model S and X users had never been billed for the service and I could see how this might be misleading to many consumers. I get the fact that you can’t provide cellular service free for life on a car that has relatively low margins so it’s just not a big deal for me. But Tesla could do a much better job in how they communicate things about their vehicles.