Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did Tesla notify customers that this was coming? I definitely never received anything from Tesla on this... I stumbled upon the video.
Yep. I bought my car in Jan 2019, and it said 1-year-free on their site with a note about premium connectivity would cost "about $100 per year"

And the reason you didn't receive anything yet is because (according to your sig) you bought an LR in April 2019. As a "Premium Interior" car, it includes a year of premium connectivity. You will receive something when your year is ending.

You say 'does provide' (present tense)... are folks already paying? When does this officially come into effect (I heard Jan 1/20)? Under what s/w release (I am running 2019.40.2)?
You could always tether to your phone, that isn't new. Just create a hotspot on your phone and join it from the car - the car doesn't know it's a phone wifi. Some people use this to satisfy the "connect to wifi to download" for software updates. You could do this from day 1

Apollo Lake: Overview - Intel
Tesla Model 3: first look at new dual computing platform Tesla developed for Autopilot and MCU - Electrek
so we know they are using an Intel CPU, I am not 100% sure which one though. If I had a guess I would say Intel Atom E3930. We would need @verygreen or @wk057 to run top to let us know what the utilization is on the newer platform, but I suspect it isn’t high (like on Tegra).

CarPlay and Android Auto, mostly, are screen mirroring solutions. The overlay shouldn’t take much if any Intel CPU power.

I don't need to see the screen really. I just need Tesla to let my phone talk to me while it's on the Bluetooth connection. The funny part is the phone will listen to me, but it thinks I can hear it and is prompting me to do something which I can't hear.

Another Canadian here, I haven't heard anything from Tesla yet. I still have the semi-premium options like Slacker radio and Spotify, although no satellite maps or traffic lines. Just got the 2019.40 update yesterday so we'll see if that triggers anything.

I am based in Australia, and premium connectivity subscription trial had not started here as yet. I would like to know whether "premium sub" for US SR+ customers includes "Spotify Premium Access" as well, or whether we need to use another spotify premium subscription. Thanks.

I am based in Australia, and premium connectivity subscription trial had not started here as yet. I would like to know whether "premium sub" for US SR+ customers includes "Spotify Premium Access" as well, or whether we need to use another spotify premium subscription. Thanks.

Tesla doesn't provide Spotify accounts in North America. They do include Slacker accounts though. (But we don't really know if the premium connectivity subscription includes that account or not, but I suspect it does.)

I ordered my (P3D-, thus premium interior) car on 11/1/19. Just got it on Saturday. And yet it says "Free Unlimited" on my account page...wonder if it will go away eventually.

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 11.09.39 AM.png

EDIT: never mind, my actual car says it expires on 12/14/2020, exactly one year after I got the car. Makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barracuda-P3D
I only just heard about this premium charge today. I go to Tesla's page to see the details, and I'm confused why it specifies Standard and Standard + but no mention of LR? I'm assuming my purchased-in-April 2019 vehicle means I have to start paying in April 2020... but I'm unclear on it.

(incidentally, I used the Way Back Machine and looked on the site as it was on the day I ordered (March 27, 2019) and there's no mention of one year.

Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
  • In-car internet streaming music & media
  • Internet browser
  • Location-aware automatic garage door opener
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

I only just heard about this premium charge today. I go to Tesla's page to see the details, and I'm confused why it specifies Standard and Standard + but no mention of LR? I'm assuming my purchased-in-April 2019 vehicle means I have to start paying in April 2020... but I'm unclear on it.

(incidentally, I used the Way Back Machine and looked on the site as it was on the day I ordered (March 27, 2019) and there's no mention of one year.

Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
  • In-car internet streaming music & media
  • Internet browser
  • Location-aware automatic garage door opener
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
The site didn't list that premium connectivity was included for 1 year during that whole month. I did ask my delivery advisor about it and was told that was an error on the site and that 1 year was still in effect.

I bought the premium interior, and thought the level of connectivity was part & parcel of it Color me "wrong", for I just got notified that my 2020-dated AWD LD 3 will lose premium connectivity after a year post-purchase. Then they'll want $9.99/month to continue it.

Since I have no use for their browser, do not stream music (only use the radio), and have a more-than-adequate set of traffic-sensing maps on my phone... I suspect that I will not be a further revenue source for Tesla. Also not gonna buy the $2000 faster-acceleration upgrade (it is plenty quick already).

Well ... I DID buy the rubber floor mats. After all, I live in Wisconsin, where we have Actual Weather.

• Funny
Reactions: laketica