Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference—July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of people missed the fact that the current 85 KwH pack is limited not by the cells but by a fuse. A fuse which Tesla is charging for, for the existing owner base w 85kwh. This does 2 things -- helps to decrease range anxiety ever so slightly, makes the CPO cars THAT much more attractive, and shows that with tiny little innovation the cars can "stay fresh"

From what I understood the fuse is for higher acceleration (AKA ludicrous) but the range increase comes from improved battery chemistry (silicon anode).

I CERTAINLY would not pay $3K to add 5kWh.

Ah, why not?

People are paying $10k to go from the 70 to the 85 kWh battery. That's $10k for an extra 15 kWh.

At $3k for the 5 kWh upgrade, it's a 10% savings than the step up from the 70 to 85. (i.e., at this "step rate" it's only $9k for the equivalent 15 kWh upgrade, so it's actually cheaper per kWh).

Thus, I'd posit that this is a polite way of making the 85 kWh battery obsolete over the next few weeks and months, without making those that just dropped six-figures on a P85D feel bad.

Your comment doesn't make sense to me, or am I missing your angle or perspective?

Last edited:
I CERTAINLY would not pay $3K to add 5kWh.
Because 10k to shave off 0.3-0.4 seconds from an already insane acceleration makes more sense? I don't know, Tesla already has really steep prices for their extras, I wouldn't get hung up on 3k for more range. Let me put it this way: if they replaced the 85 series with a 90 and increased pricing by 3k would demand decrease? I don't think so. But introducing a 3rd pack size that you need to "manage" from a logistics point of view when it's so close tho another product (85) sounds illogical.

Well, they are charging a big premium for them... $600/kWh. I suspect the factory output of the new silicon anode cells is still limited, so the early adopters will be pay to be first as always. Over time, the new chemistry will likely take over. I suspect the 70's still stay on the old chemistry for a while in order to keep costs down.
That is a logical explanation.

Too many configurations.. I think Tesla will yank the plug out of 85 completely and stick to 70 and 90. Tesla in Q3/Q4 call last year noticed too much configuration and noticed that affected productivity. Things may be different now, but I would say 85 to 90 is not a huge difference.

70 with supercharger and 230 miles range will certainly increase market.

Because 10k to shave off 0.3-0.4 seconds from an already insane acceleration makes more sense? I don't know, Tesla already has really steep prices for their extras, I wouldn't get hung up on 3k for more range. Let me put it this way: if they replaced the 85 series with a 90 and increased pricing by 3k would demand decrease? I don't think so. But introducing a 3rd pack size that you need to "manage" from a logistics point of view when it's so close tho another product (85) sounds illogical.

For that kind of performance you need to pay for a Mclaren or a beefed up Porsche. a 140k asking price is fine. A panamera turbo still runs to like $200k

Unless the 85s days are numbered until they run out of old cells.

I bet that the new chemistry is in limited production and needs time to ramp. We are seeing another soft launch of a Model X feature. They will let the really high end customers fund the 90kWh ramp. When Model X is in full production and they can handle the volume, they'll drop the 85kWh.

Indeed. Many shareholders were likely trapped by what was undoubtedly hedge-fund selling on the news with the aid of their algobots. That would have created a cascade of stop-loss orders being hit. Other individual investors would have followed dubious internet "advice" to sell on the news. Then sanity quickly returned and the share price soon recovered to the level before the announcements. The hedge-funds may have bought back in near the very short-term bottom and profited handsomely. Now I would not be surprised if financial analysts have good things to say and drive the price up even more.

This was not a bad call at all.

This is very sad news for the german auto industry.

This is putting real preassure on shorts.

And this makes me as happy as CALGARYARSENAL supporting this company with my real money:)

Elon is vey grateful to mercedes for saving him from bankruptcy, mercedes will seek a partnership with tesla down the road,
and elon will return the favor.

Link to tables on fastest 0-60 and quarter mile time production cars from wikipedia for context on P90D 2.8 and 10.9 second numbers (spoiler, peer group can't be had for $120K):

List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

some of you are probably way more familiar with these cars than I am, but I think next closest is Nissan GT-R Nismo at $150K, Porsche 911 Turbo S at $183K and then a big jump into hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy. Not sure if any of the others seat more than two people.

Last edited:
Ah, why not?

People are paying $10k to go from the 70 to the 85 kWh battery. That's $10k for an extra 15 kWh.

At $3k for the 5 kWh upgrade, it's a 10% savings than the step up from the 70 to 85. (e.g. a this "step rate," it's only $9k for the equivalent 15 kWh upgrade).

Thus, your comment doesn't make sense or am I missing something?

5kWh is not a noticable improvement in how you can drive....15kWh is. IMO.